Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Cornuck » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:07 pm

I gotta agree with the Dude on this one.

We all know what a troll is, and this ain't it. There's logical discussion going back and forth, and (thankfully) not everyone on the board is in 100% agreement.

Let's all take it down a notch and continue on like the elder statesmen that we are.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:10 pm

Well I don't see RD or Fred as Trolls. I see them as foils that create discussion. As for Booth, I think he will get 25 to 30 goals if we play him in his natural LW position. We need a play making RW to go with Kesler and Booth and I'm hoping that winger is Burrows. If that's the case we will have signed Doan :D Or perhaps we can get Versteeg back along with Bjugstad in a trade for Luo. I still see our team needing a 3rd line center, a playmaking RW and a power forward to play with the Sedins. Here's hoping that MG can get what Luo is worth and not the junk I keep reading some posters putting forward.

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:51 pm

Not what I thought trolling was I must say ...it's just a different opinion ;)

Any way any one have any thoughts about Kesler converting to the wing, he's not a what you would say a play maker, rather he's a guy that needs some one to make the set up for him. I keep thinking what the team needs is a second line play maker but Kesler does have all the attributes to play the wing. If Kesler continues getting injured there's enough wingers to replace him, so maybe Arnott, attitude and all might be a better fit. Don't get p!ssed it's just a thought :D
cheers

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:13 pm

Fred wrote:So Tator you know some thing that Gillis doesn't, according to MG he may well start the season with both Lou and Schneider or at least that's what I've heard him say. And of course we all new that Kesler was going to be injured at the end of the season...long before the trade was made....come on unless you have a crystal ball..... which seems reasonable as you not only new the Kesler injury situation months before it happened but you know Lou is gone... tell me who to, and, what burgeoning salary do we get back for good old Lou in this fictitious trade :roll:
Gillis has also made a competitive offer to Doan which means,,,, he has the cap space,,,, come on Fred keep up please, seriously....

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:45 pm

Potatoe1 wrote:
Fred wrote:So Tator you know some thing that Gillis doesn't, according to MG he may well start the season with both Lou and Schneider or at least that's what I've heard him say. And of course we all new that Kesler was going to be injured at the end of the season...long before the trade was made....come on unless you have a crystal ball..... which seems reasonable as you not only new the Kesler injury situation months before it happened but you know Lou is gone... tell me who to, and, what burgeoning salary do we get back for good old Lou in this fictitious trade :roll:
Gillis has also made a competitive offer to Doan which means,,,, he has the cap space,,,, come on Fred keep up please, seriously....

Try reading the odd snippet of info that doesn't coincide with your presumptions like for instance Cap Geek

http://www.capgeek.com/

come on man keep up .... seriously we have 23 signed and $2.4 under the Cap. I understand you don't have to hit the Cap untill the start of the season. So maybe you can enlighten us all ( via the crystal ball ) who's getting booted out and have you accounted for Schroder coming up.... while you're at it maybe you could tell us all when the season will start...thanks
cheers

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Fred wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:

Try reading the odd snippet of info that doesn't coincide with your presumptions like for instance Cap Geek

come on man keep up
The $67.768m payroll includes 14 forwards, 7 defensemen and 2 goalies. If Doan signs with the Canucks, one of top nine forwards will be dealt. Raymond ($2.275m) will be the first one on the list. Also, Luongo ($5.33m) will also be dealt. The two contracts combined will give the Canucks an extra $7.6m (a total of $9.8m cap space). Assuming that Doan's contract is $6-6.5, that still leaves the Canucks a cap space of $3.3-3.8m to fill out the eight defenseman and a backup goalie. Besides that, the team can go over the cap by 10% before the season starts.

CaptainTrev
CC Veteran

Post by CaptainTrev » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:14 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
I just love how a viewpoint that goes against popular opinion around here gets labeled as Trolling. What happened to variety in opinions and accepting opinions that may or may not ride the same bus as yours.

Fuckin' hell. Just plain accept the fact that in life not everyone will agree with you. Bunch of babies.

Maybe I went to a lazy label, but I guess it's starting to feel like trolling because you won't budge on certain opinions. From what I can gather, those of us who disagree with you are willing to to admit that we could be wrong in our more positive assessment of MG and his performance. But you won't have any of it. From what I've seen I'd say that "popular opinion" on this board isn't to fawn over Gillis, but to have an open mind.

There's a fine line between playing devil's advocate and being a troll, and I think you cross it when you have to resort to mocking David Booth for being religious or shooting a baited bear. That's low-hanging fruit, but I guess it's an easy way to avoid admitting that MAYBE Gillis and his scouts are better evaluators of talent than you. Or MAYBE they know how to manage the salary cap better than you. Or MAYBE 50 games is too small a sample size to be passing final judgement on Booth.

You're all about differing opinions? Well what's yours? You avoided the questions, and not for the first time. What would you have done with Sturm and Samuelsson? What would you do with the extra $4.5 million if it wasn't being spent on Booth?

I'm not trying to get into a battle with you over it, because that kind of thing doesn't interest me, and frankly it's not something I'm much good at. I see everything from all kinds of different angles and there's never any one right answer in my mind.

I never want to come off as one of those so-called internet tough guys, trying to call out other posters. I just feel like too often you avoid giving a straight answer and you're only being disagreeable for the sake of it. Sure that drives discussion I guess, but it quickly becomes cyclical and pointless, not logical.
Last edited by CaptainTrev on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."

ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:21 pm

CaptainTrev wrote: pointless, not logical.

thumbs up

CaptainTrev
CC Veteran

Post by CaptainTrev » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:29 pm

ukcanuck wrote:

thumbs up
Legitimate thumbs up, or suggestion for my new sig?

:lol:

:eh:
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."

ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:03 pm

CaptainTrev wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:

thumbs up
Legitimate thumbs up, or suggestion for my new sig?

:lol:

:eh:
Caesar's all the way!

l

wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:07 pm

Potatoe1 wrote: No one should have any problem with Booth at 4.25, he has size, speed, grit, and scores at over a 20 goal pace. He gets 4.5 to 5 mill in free agency easily.
but but but no-one will ever take on that dumb over-paid bimbo's contract!!

we're saddled with it foreverz, OMG!!

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:21 am

Fred wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:

come on man keep up .... seriously we have 23 signed and $2.4 under the Cap. I understand you don't have to hit the Cap untill the start of the season. So maybe you can enlighten us all ( via the crystal ball ) who's getting booted out and have you accounted for Schroder coming up.... while you're at it maybe you could tell us all when the season will start...thanks

Again....

The Canucks are one of the front runners for Doan and they have (according to just about everyone) presented him with a competitive offer.

I don't give a flying crap what the numbers on cap geek say, the Canucks and everyone with half a brain knows that they have plenty of room.

Trade Luongo
Kesler LTIR
Trade Raymond
Waive Malholtra
Move Ballard

Etc, Etc, Etc....

We have no cap problems this year, stop trying to create a narative that simply isn't there.

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:10 am

Potatoe1 wrote: Trade Luongo
Kesler LTIR
Trade Raymond
Waive Malholtra
Move Ballard

Etc, Etc, Etc....

We have no cap problems this year, stop trying to create a narrative that simply isn't there.
"Trying to create," you're the one that's magically moved 5 players and you're telling me to get real. Right now MG can't find a trade for Luongo for what 4 months ? and you can do it with a flip of the key board and then have the nerve to tell me to get real.

The figures in Cap Geek are correct and factual...talking about real ! remove your ass from your posterior.

I can tell you this if there is a deal with Florida it WILL include a salary dump. Duh where does that fit into your calculation ??

Take off those rose coloured glasses and do this...... think what Tallon and Florida want ie the other guys perspective. They're not going to give away BJugstad and Petrovic two talented players that are or will be on entry level salaries and take back a big, long contract and just eat it. Kesler may indeed be on the LTIR but that's convenient now no one new that when they took on the Booth contract. Trade Raymond oh yeah to WHO. Who wants a soft perimeter player making 2 million ? Waive Malhotra I'm assuming Aquaman will be happy to fork out that sort of money for no return are you going to start a collection box. Ballard I'm sure any one who wanted him could of had him for the last two seasons, the coaching staff have NO confidence in the guy, he's an embarrassment for MG. By the way between you and your crystal ball who else are you going to magically trade without taking back salary.

Here's an article from a recent site I found

http://www.getrealhockey.com/2012/08/10 ... be-better/

These are player that need to get better because apparently the whole league know about there failings... they're all the players you wanna trade :D
by CaptainTrev on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:14 pm

I never want to come off as one of those so-called internet tough guys, trying to call out other posters. I just feel like too often you avoid giving a straight answer and you're only being disagreeable for the sake of it. Sure that drives discussion I guess, but it quickly becomes cyclical and pointless, not logical.
That's a refreshing position. But I think it's also fair to say that most posters do not reply item by item in any rebuttal. I think we answer the points that raise our hackles mostly, and there seems to me just as many MG worshippers. Mostly taken in by media or selective views. MG is OK, I quite like him but I'm also OK reflecting on his blunders and there just doesn't seem to be any room on this board for that. I can see why RD goes to extremes ......posters rag on his opinion or think derision is a substitute for opinions
Last edited by Fred on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:24 am

For there to be any LITR benefit from Kesler's salary, Gillman has to somehow squeeze him onto the opening day roster charade without exposing anyone he wants to keep to waivers or even more so, recall waivers.

It is not as simple as you present Spud.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:28 am

Topper wrote:For there to be any LITR benefit from Kesler's salary, Gillman has to somehow squeeze him onto the opening day roster charade without exposing anyone he wants to keep to waivers or even more so, recall waivers.

It is not as simple as you present Spud.
Quite honestly I didn't know that either, I just didn't like the idea that Tator simply makes 5 player moves and then tells me to fundamentally get real :lol: :lol:
cheers