Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Locked
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Turris Rumours

Post by ClamRussel »

Topper wrote:Which side of the fence are you on? ...Really, Gretzky as a comparable??????? Ryan Kesler needs to be more like Wayne Gretzky. Wow. What next, Alex Edler needs to be more like Bobby Orr, David Booth needs to be more like Rick Nash....Again, that was not his role on the PP. ...Again, you are using anecdotal evidence with no basis in fact.
Nice try, is your comprehension really that weak or, more likely, is your attempt to disprove everything I said clouding your rationale? Let me spell it out for you and then I'm done with this.

I pointed out that yes Kesler is a very solid player. His passing ability is NOT a weakness, its not one of his strengths and distributing the puck to his linemates more is an area he could improve on. It doesn't mean he can't pass or that he's terrible at it. He's more effective at other aspects of the game. There's nothing wishy washy about that.

I never compared Kesler to Gretzky, thats a very poor strawman argument on your behalf. Its not anecdotal either, the story is fact. Look it up. It should be obvious to most I was providing an example of another player who had a thing or two going for him; changed his game up a bit and became even more effective because of it. To insinuate I was suggesting Kesler should be more like Gretzky...well you're embarrassing yourself now.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1548
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Lower left-hand corner

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Turris Rumours

Post by BladesofSteel »

ClamRussel wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: Use your eyes, he's more of a shooter. He usually passes when he runs out of options himself, he's more of a take charge skate through the opposition by himself kind of guy. I'm not saying the guy can't pass the puck, I'm saying its not one of his strong suits.
Nope, you were simply saying his passing game is clearly flawed, which I wholeheartedly disagree.
LoL, believe whatever you want, thats not what I said....
Actually, that is exactly what you said.
ClamRussel wrote:
Arbour wrote:As far as I can dig up the knock on Booth, outside of his injury history, is that he is a liability defensively, and he does not use he team mates that well. Some comments from Panther boards go so far as to suggest that it's not that he won't pass but he can't, and even if he could, making plays just isn't part of his repertoire. If those observations are credible hopefully a change of scenery and coach will help Booth address those deficiencies.
Interesting....because thats also clearly a flaw with his new center and former teammate, although not to the same degree mind you. Should make for interesting linemates out there.
That is, unless we aren't talking about the same center.
ClamRussel wrote:...If you're arguing with what I said then you clearly see him as a playmaking center. I certainly disagree with that.
:roll:
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Turris Rumours

Post by tantalum »

Rumsfeld wrote: Finest players in the league? Come now. He is a streaky scorer and when "on" he seems to see the ice really well, but that reads like a massive overstatement.
When he is one he is very very good. As good as anyone. Problem is that he isn't on that much. The overstatement comes with saying more than half the season he isn't on. I really should have said 60 games he isn't on. But on those 20 games he cares he is very very good. The 60 games he doesn't care he is quite bad. THere is very little in between with him. He's not much different than Kovalev was IMO though Kovalev was better.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Legend
Posts: 4201
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Raqqa

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Turris Rumours

Post by Rumsfeld »

tantalum wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: Finest players in the league? Come now. He is a streaky scorer and when "on" he seems to see the ice really well, but that reads like a massive overstatement.
When he is one he is very very good. As good as anyone. Problem is that he isn't on that much. The overstatement comes with saying more than half the season he isn't on. I really should have said 60 games he isn't on. But on those 20 games he cares he is very very good. The 60 games he doesn't care he is quite bad. THere is very little in between with him. He's not much different than Kovalev was IMO though Kovalev was better.
I get what you're saying, but I still think you're overrating him. Kovalev was fast, an incredible stickhandler, AND he had the great release... 100% Kovalev had way, way more talent than 100% Sammy.

What they do have in common is a guaranteed stretch of disinterested play every season. That and a Cup ring.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 12282
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Turris Rumours

Post by Topper »

ClamRussel wrote:Nice try, is your comprehension really that weak or, more likely, is your attempt to disprove everything I said clouding your rationale? Let me spell it out for you and then I'm done with this.

I pointed out that yes Kesler is a very solid player. His passing ability is NOT a weakness
Clam, you have contradicted yourself so many times I need to refresh your memory.
ClamRussel wrote:
Arbour wrote:As far as I can dig up the knock on Booth, outside of his injury history, is that he is a liability defensively, and he does not use he team mates that well. Some comments from Panther boards go so far as to suggest that it's not that he won't pass but he can't, and even if he could, making plays just isn't part of his repertoire. If those observations are credible hopefully a change of scenery and coach will help Booth address those deficiencies.
Interesting....because thats also clearly a flaw with his new center and former teammate, although not to the same degree mind you. Should make for interesting linemates out there.
or is there any more straightforward statement than this.
ClamRussel wrote: I think its a weakness
ClamRussel wrote:I never compared Kesler to Gretzky,
Well I certainly didn't bring Wayne in as a a comparison........who did?
ClamRussel wrote:I recall Gretzky was always a pass-first guy when he came into the league. His coaches had to convince him to start shooting more. The result? A 92 goal season.
Who embarrassed themself?
ClamRussel wrote:Its not anecdotal either, the story is fact. Look it up.
I did look it up and I backed up my previous reply with factual evidence, not imagined stories.

It took a while, but it now seems you agree with Arbour BOS, Coco and I.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:05 am
Location: Tiger country

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Turris Rumours

Post by Rayxor »

tantalum wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: Finest players in the league? Come now. He is a streaky scorer and when "on" he seems to see the ice really well, but that reads like a massive overstatement.
When he is one he is very very good. As good as anyone. Problem is that he isn't on that much. The overstatement comes with saying more than half the season he isn't on. I really should have said 60 games he isn't on. But on those 20 games he cares he is very very good. The 60 games he doesn't care he is quite bad. THere is very little in between with him. He's not much different than Kovalev was IMO though Kovalev was better.
I think it was your choice of the word "finest". It kinda suggests his all around game was up there with the elite players in the game. I'm sure there wouldn't be much argument if you said he was among the best pure snipers when he was on his game, and I suspect that's what you were suggesting. He has the size and aggressiveness to play a power game and could be very effective at it... When he was ON. Therein lies the problem in that he was becoming much more OFF than ON. Sure, he had some injuries that will contribute to that but to have him playing a significant role on the 2nd line and 1st PP unit, just waiting for the switch to flip, was not helping the team and he essentially lost the job to Booth.

What was so impressive about Kesler last year is that both his regular linemates has sub-par years which should have affected his numbers, and i suppose his assist total was. Lets hope that Booth can play like a legitimate 2nd liner so that we can have #1a and #1b lines PLUS an effective 2nd unit PP rather than a #1 line + Kesler and underwhelming 2nd PP unit.
User avatar
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:05 am
Location: Tiger country

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Turris Rumours

Post by Rayxor »

I just noticed something about one of the criticisms on Booth's game. His low shooting percentage has been brought up, but Booth's is actually higher than Sammy's over their careers (9.2 and 8.3 respectively). So, at the very least, we have gained more consistent effort and speed plus a 3rd round pick if everything else is a wash.
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 11164
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Turris Rumours

Post by rats19 »

Booth will be one of our best..very soon
Getting old is not for the young...
User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 19474
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Turris Rumours

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Not closing the book on my hopefulness for Booth, however, I am concerned that he is a religious man.
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Turris Rumours

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote:Not closing the book on my hopefulness for Booth, however, I am concerned that he is a religious man.
:lol:

He's also apparently a super nice guy which automatically means he is going to suck in the playoffs.

But seriously was hard to show much yesterday but I liked what I saw.

Booth just screams athleticism, not only is he blazing fast but he's incredibly strong on the puck.

I didn't see any of the "Poor IQ" stuff Florida fans have been talking about, after watching Raffi Torrez play for a full season I think we all know what a "dumb" hockey player looks like.

I highly, highly doubt we see defensive issues from his player my main concern is his ability to maintain his goal production with less ice time.
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2822
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Turris Rumours

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/preview20 ... id=4520435

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=63477

I know Hammer is a christian boy too. Maybe the Canucks should bring back Wally and the three of them can form the holy trinity and have Hallelujah meetings for the team. :D

RoyalDude wrote:Not closing the book on my hopefulness for Booth, however, I am concerned that he is a religious man.
Last edited by Todd Bersnoozi on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2108
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Turris Rumours

Post by mathonwy »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/preview20 ... id=4520435

I know Hammer is a christian boy too. Maybe the Canucks should bring back Wally and the three of them can form the holy trinity and have Hallelujah meetings for the team. :D

RoyalDude wrote:Not closing the book on my hopefulness for Booth, however, I am concerned that he is a religious man.
If it brings us the holy grail, I say hallelujah.
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2822
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Turris Rumours

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Amen brother! *LOL*

mathonwy wrote:If it brings us the holy grail, I say hallelujah.
User avatar
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1497
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:27 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Turris Rumours

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Potatoe1 wrote:my main concern is his ability to maintain his goal production with less ice time.
First game with Canucks TOI 15:49 (1:55 PP, 0:00 PK)

Six games with Florida 2011-12 (average) TOI 15:30 (3:49 PP, 0:12 PK)

Other than not being on the 1st powerplay unit, it's pretty comparable.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Turris Rumours

Post by Potatoe1 »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:my main concern is his ability to maintain his goal production with less ice time.
First game with Canucks TOI 15:49 (1:55 PP, 0:00 PK)

Six games with Florida 2011-12 (average) TOI 15:30 (3:49 PP, 0:12 PK)

Other than not being on the 1st powerplay unit, it's pretty comparable.

S_C
Yes and how many points does he have this season? ...

I'm talking about the ice time he was getting during his 23 and 30 goal seasons...
Last edited by Potatoe1 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Locked