Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Corb »

Wow

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=597038

Out:
Sturm
Sammy

In:
Booth
Reinprecht
3rd

I have to say, even if Booth doesn't work out, this (at first glance) seems like a good way to shed some 2.5 mill contracts. Sturm seemed better last game, but the tank seemed empty. Sammy seemed serviceable, but started slow.

Booth is only 26.

Booth: http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=84 ... l-keymatch

Reinprect: http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8468432
Last edited by Corb on Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts

Post by Rumsfeld »

Wow indeed. That explains why Sturm wasn't in the lineup today. Good trade. Booth is a solid player. We dump some salary and get a good two-way forward who brings a game more tailored to our needs. Can't get in-depth as I'm at work, but I'll check in later.
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Rumsfeld wrote:Wow. That explains why Sturm wasn't in the lineup today. Good trade. Booth is a solid player.
I figured something might have been up when Sturm was scratched because he did just have a good game.

Nice deal by Gillis...I think. I do think people underestimate what Samuelsson can bring to the team. I believe Rome, Raymond and Pinnizotto all skated today as well. Raymond will be awhile yet but the other two may be close.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

D.Sedin H.Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Hodgson
Booth Malhotra Hansen
Weise Lapierre Pinizzotto

More balanced forward group for sure.

And more cap room to make a splash when teams are out of it. Weber, anyone? :o
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BCReefer
CC Veteran

Post by BCReefer »

Nice, Sammy is too soft for us and not what is needed in the playoffs, Sturm was useless and a complete waste of $2.5.

Now will Both get 20 again playing on a real team?
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Wow - not too often that Vancouver trades an off-season UFA signing 8 games into the season.

Regardless of the concussion risks with Booth, this is a good trade for the Canucks because Samuelsson and Sturm weren't filling the need for size, toughness, forechecking, and scoring in the top 6 --- perhaps Booth can fill that void...

And Florida gets rid of a long term contract they don't want.

Sturm (33) $2.25M until 2012
Samuelsson (34) $2.5M until 2012

Booth (26) $4.25/year until 2015
Reinprecht (35) $2.05M until 2012

Is Reinprecht even on the Florida roster? Or is he in the AHL?

Unfortunately for Sturm, I think Florida likely has him pegged for waivers.

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's a great day for hockey!
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Reinprecht will report to the Wolves - Van probably can't afford his cap hit. But he might be good depth for injury call up, but I guess he'd need to clear re-entry waivers. I think FLA shedding that contract probably made it work.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Let's hope to the hockey gods that Booth's concussion issues are behind him....

Man oh man. I reserve my judgement on this trade.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

So let me get this straight - we trade a good, but recently injury-prone 2nd/3rd liner and a 2nd/3rd line reclamation project (both of whom are agee 30+) for a 2nd line left winger in his mid-20s who has scored over 20 goals in the past 3 seasons, a seasoned 3rd/4th line centre over-30 and a 3rd round pick?

Ummmm.... how did Gillis manage this one? I mean really, not that Booth is a power forward in the Backes/Lucic/Stewart mold but it wasn't long ago that there was a ton of hype on this guy. Granted, he's taken a couple of serious concussions and that can be a risk but unless Tallon knows something Gillis doesn't how is this not a win trade for Gillis and the Canucks?

The only downside I see is the guy's +/- is terrible - but then that can be said for many Panthers. I wager it will take him a while to understand AV's system but still, anyone else cautiously pumped about this trade? I would like to see how he does on Kesler's or Malhotra's wing.

The other question is where does this fit among the top 9? Higgins has earned his spot on the left wing, so can Booth switch to right wing and does that mean Hodgson goes to the 3rd line or to Chicago? Good dilemmas for Vigneault to have.

Is Gillis done, or is this just the first domino to fall? People think it will give Gillis more Cap room, but given S-C's numbers, it only saves about $500G. Big deal unless it's just enough to add to whatever room Gillis has under the cap to make another move down the road with a pre-identified partner.

I wonder what Ballard has to say about the guy.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

mathonwy wrote:Let's hope to the hockey gods that Booth's concussion issues are behind him....

Man oh man. I reserve my judgement on this trade.
He played all 82 last year. But ya, let's hope he can remain healthy.

Welcome to the Wolves Cody (or the Coyotes - my speculation based on other speculation which is likely meaningless).

Edit: the was the third a re-aquistion of OUR third? If so, this could be significant.

Suddenly the season is interesting!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Fuck, I didn't realize Booth made that much. That there's some second line money. Even if Booth is damaged goods, this trade is worth the gamble. Sturm looked terrible and Sammy has declined every year here.

We need the qualities Booth possesses; let's hope he thrives off having more talent around him and makes this a home run.

EDIT: I know it's his off wing, but I wonder how he'd fare with the twins... seems like in theory it could be a good fit.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Rumsfeld wrote:Fuck, I didn't realize Booth made that much. That there's some second line money.
4.25M till 2015.

That's some serious second line money.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

What?! 4.25 million for a marginal player who's stats are padded on the awful Florida Panthers, to play on our 2nd and 3rd lines until 2015? And we lose two vets who are capable of scoring 25+ goals? What a shitty trade! I'm going to bitch all year about this!

(tongue planted firmly in cheek)
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Can Silent G play on line number three?
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I'm a little blind-sided by this one. I never expected Sturm to be dealt, let alone Samuelsson. Sammy was a worthy vet who had two strong seasons (and one good playoff), but management must have felt he had eclipsed his best before date. Sturm, well, he just couldn't get it going in the (very) short time he was here.

Booth is obviously the key guy in this deal. From what I can recall, he's kind of hybrid player much like Burrows/Higgins in that he can play a good two-way game with a ton of hustle. Pretty decent wheels too. The deal comes with some risk with his injury history and looong contract (see: Ballard).

What is it with Gillis and Florida?

Speed, speed and more speed. Could be interesting once Raymond returns.