Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocente ... L|VAN|home

OK, on a serious note. I found this pretty funny. (around 1:45 mark)

Someone asks MG: Did Marco Sturm turn out to be not what you expected/what your were looking for?

Gillis: You gotta work with the other side, he's a player that they had interest in.

OMG, what a spin. Sturm sucked and Gillis knows he made a mistake and just wanted to get rid of him. Florida only wanted Sturm cuz he has 1 year on his contract, then he's cut from the books. It's the same reason they wanted Sammy. :lol:
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

After digesting this trade the last thing I was stuck on was his salary and the next four years.

But after looking at other similar ppg players he has a pretty average salary. Here's hoping he can be that winger with a hard nose Kesler needs. Booth-Kes-Higgins sounds pretty good.

EDIT: I like on RSN Gillis said he ran into Booth last summer "by chance" and conveniently asked how he felt and Booth said he has felt fine all year.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. ;)
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

CFP! wrote:EDIT: I like on RSN Gillis said he ran into Booth last summer "by chance" and conveniently asked how he felt and Booth said he has felt fine all year.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. ;)
Yep, and Burke just happened to be travelling to Sweden to check out a potential prospect on the day the Sedins became free agents.
2011..... the one that got away.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Holy cow, Booze has potential............Go
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... hl-wp15521

I think Florida has become our defacto farm team.... muahahahah....

(No disrespect to the Chicago Moose) :thumbs:

--

http://nhlhotstove.com/tallon-sends-mes ... o-canucks/
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

A few more things I really like about this trade.....

1. It gives Vigneault another solid option to put out with the Sedin's following a PK where Burrows is a bit gassed.

2. It gives our 2nd PP unit a nice boost while providing Gillis with a very diplomatic way of removing Samuelsson as an option for AV to use on the point.

3. As Doc said, we have more sandpaper now (btw, American Express line.... very nice, be sure and call RSN and let them know, their All-American line sounds pretty drab by comparisson), and that sandpaper has the ability to put the puck in the net to the tune of 100 goals on the season.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Btw, that clip of Richards freight-training Booth is pretty much a textbook case of the new rules. Chances are good that anyone who throws a hit like that this year will be sitting out for a long time.

Just sayin' is all.....
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Rudypoo wrote:
Hank wrote:
Lol! Is anyone surprised?
Marco Sturm? :D
Samuelsson (interviewed by Aftonbladet):
"It's a bit of a surprise, but I'm not complaining. The weather is definitely better there and the Panthers have an interesting team, so I'm sure it will be fine."

"I've had two fantastic years in Vancouver and it's been great fun to get to play with the Sedins and Alexander Edler. But this is how it is in this business. I guess this is the downside of it, but you just have to accept it and pack your bags."

"I don't complain, but it gets a bit more complicated like this than when it happens during the summer, making arrangements for the family and stuff, but we just have to deal with it."
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Mëds wrote:Btw, that clip of Richards freight-training Booth is pretty much a textbook case of the new rules. Chances are good that anyone who throws a hit like that this year will be sitting out for a long time.
It was a textbook case under last year's rules too (rule 48). In fact, I think it was, literally, a "textbook case", as that hit was included as exhibit B in "what not to do" in the league video on Rule 48 that was out last year. (Guess who was exhibit A?)

Ah yes, here it is, at 1:19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0488p-eME4Q

Also, I wonder if the bizarre-looking decision to put Sammy on the PP1 point had anything to do with pumping up his stats to make him more tradable? Hmmm.....
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

High risk, high reward move here.

When he's at his best, Booth is a fast skating, hard working, aggressive forward who can score 30 goals.

The problem is we really haven't seen that player since Mike Richards took his head off almost 2 years ago.

They player we saw last season and for the first part of last year is not worth the 4.5 mill Both is signed for long term.

Gillis is banking on this player fitting in well with Kesler and getting his career back on track.

Make no mistake, this was a salary dump by Florida. They didn't take Sammy and Sturm because they need aging forwards who might not be healthy enough to play this season. They took them to balance salaries for this season and because the don't want to pay Booth for 3 more years.

Short term this is a win for the Canucks as we get a guy who can play in our top 6, for 2 guys who most likely cant. We also dont have much pressure in terms of cap space this year.

Long term however, adding a long term salary that might be somewhat inflated closes the door on potential signing's.

Also keep in mind that this move basically ensures that Hodgson spends the rest of the season bouncing between the farm and our bottom 6, although I guess that isn't a bad thing.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

I am wondering about how Kesler and Booth might play off each other - both have a bit of a history of scoring more goals than assists. Kesler clearly became more of a shooter last year and in Booth's 3 full seasons, he's always had more goals than assists.

It's the same question I had when CBJ put Carter and Nash together. So far, it's not been great, the sample there is very small.

My sense is Kesler has the skills to be more of a passer, he showed that in the year he played with Sundin.

However, a playmaker might be what they both need - is that better found in Hodgson or Higgins?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

We lost a cup ring, though both Marco and Sammy are ready for the 3:30 sitting in a Florida community.

Strum was not Raymond replacement that Gilles had gambled on him being, Samuelsson has always been a very streaky player, Booth will fit in were neither of the the departed did.

Booth played with Kesler as a kid in Detroit. Queue up the MC5.

Booth recorded a Gordie Howe Hat Trick against the Phlyers as retribution for the Richards hit :thumbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjbW0xw7 ... embedded#!

Reinprecht is the Steve Bernier in the deal but could be depth down the road.
Last edited by Topper on Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Topper wrote:We lost a cup ring, though both Marco and Sammy are ready for the 3:30 sitting in a Florida community.

Strum was not Raymond replacement that Gilles had gambled on him being, Samuelsson has always been a very streaky player, Booth will fit in were neither of the the departed did.

Booth played with Kesler as a kid in Detroit. Queue up the MC5.

Booth recorded a Gordie Howe Hat Trick against the Phlyers as retribution for the Richards hit :thumbs:

Reinprecht is the Steve Bernier in the deal but could be depth down the road.
...and the all important Stanley Cup ring rep.

Don't see him being recalled unless the team is desperate as the later the season goes on, the more attractive a vet like him is to other clubs. Factor in Van paying half his wage and I don't see him slipping through re-entry waivers.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hence, down the road. Injury/depth post trade deadline or playoff call up.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.