Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Locked
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17009
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Strangelove » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:47 pm

Potatoe1 wrote: Thank you Lever you are a more patient man then I (clearly)....

Fred if the Canucks sign Doan and for some bizarre reason are unable to trade Luongo, and if again by some freak of nature Ryan Kesler is healthy to start, they could waive either Malholtra or Raymond.

Topper Kassian and Tanev are still waiver exempt and I doubt anyone would pick up Ebbet or Volpatti, so clearing room to get Kesler on LTIR looks fairly doable.

I also think Malholtra would clear recall waivers, so if necessary they could do that as well.
Right you are Potatoe ole bean (nightshade?). To make the argument that Gillis can't sign Doan because of Booth's salary is about as silly as it gets. Gillis has made offer(s) to Doan. Gillis (and Gilman) are not morons. They have a plan in place if Doan accepts their offer. NO DOUBT they have said to other GMs "Okay if Domino Doan signs with us we'll do such-and-such trade with you; if Domino Doan doesn't sign with us we'll do such-and-such trade with you". There are no doubt some UFAs waiting upon Domino Doan as well.

Those who make the argument Gillis will be caught with his pants down if Doan choo-choo-chooses us are silly.
Potatoe1 wrote: We don't have cap issues, and even if we did it isn't because of David Booths salary.
To say anything else would be uncivilized (and silly). :wink:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17009
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Strangelove » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:00 pm

CaptainTrev wrote: There's a fine line between playing devil's advocate and being a troll, and I think you cross it when you have to resort to mocking David Booth for being religious or shooting a baited bear.
:thumbs:

Agreed, fine line, and the dude crosses it more often than the Pope crosses himself around you-know-wots. :D
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Gino's Knuckle
CC Rookie
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Gino's Knuckle » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:07 pm

Fred wrote:He'd be trading a first round pick for a second round pick and likely take some heat....which would be deserved IMO.
Two first round picks, in fact, if you want to be technical. But I shouldn't keep going on about spilled milk. Still raises my ire. Who needs a budding crazy-fast scorer. Obviously not us....

Also, Fred, don't let the "troll" comments get to you. You've got tenure here.

User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3109
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Jovocop » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:45 pm

Gino's Knuckle wrote:
Fred wrote:He'd be trading a first round pick for a second round pick and likely take some heat....which would be deserved IMO.
Two first round picks, in fact, if you want to be technical. But I shouldn't keep going on about spilled milk. Still raises my ire. Who needs a budding crazy-fast scorer. Obviously not us....

Also, Fred, don't let the "troll" comments get to you. You've got tenure here.
Grabner was not a lock for the top nine two seasons ago. His weakness was his slow start. The Canucks had to waive Grabner before sending him down to the minors. He could have been picked up by other teams for free. In fact, the Panthers waived him and the Islanders picked him up. Don't get me wrong, I like Grabner but his value was not very high when he was traded.

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Fred » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:53 pm

To be honest I never thought about 2 second round picks...that would do it for me. However 2 x 2nd round picks does not equal a #1 round pick. But from what I've read the next draft is pretty deep and you can bargain with 2nd round picks at the deadline I suppose ....ammunition for the future

Troll, I thought trolls were people that just jumped in to a fray out of no where and then having stirred it up disappeared and looked for new hunting grounds ??
cheers

User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3109
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Jovocop » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Fred wrote:To be honest I never thought about 2 second round picks...that would do it for me. However 2 x 2nd round picks does not equal a #1 round pick. But from what I've read the next draft is pretty deep and you can bargain with 2nd round picks at the deadline I suppose ....ammunition for the future

Troll, I thought trolls were people that just jumped in to a fray out of no where and then having stirred it up disappeared and looked for new hunting grounds ??
If you believe what MG said about that draft, he just gave up a 1st rounder when the player that he wanted was drafted. Also, that first rounder was 25th pick. It is not much different from a high second rounder...

User avatar
CaptainTrev
CC Veteran
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:33 pm
Location: Calgary
Contact:

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by CaptainTrev » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:32 pm

Fred wrote: Troll, I thought trolls were people that just jumped in to a fray out of no where and then having stirred it up disappeared and looked for new hunting grounds ??
Speaking of which, where IS RD? Still waiting for clarification on how much better this offseason would be without Sturm, Samuelsson or Booth on the books.

Is that enough of a cheap shot to get you back in the fray, dude? :look: :P

And just to be clear I was not referring to you, Fred. You stir up shit and I find that I (internally) disagree with a lot of your takes lately. But you're always around to back it up.
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 10469
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:59 pm

CaptainTrev wrote:
And just to be clear I was not referring to you, Fred. You stir up shit and I find that I (internally) disagree with a lot of your takes lately. But you're always around to back it up.
He tries to stir up shit . And I will give him marks for hanging around to take his lumps. He kind of reminds me of Dana Murzyn. :lol:
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

User avatar
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:49 am
Location: Living the Life

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Canuck-One » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:27 pm

There are three things I disagree with in all of this back and forth discussion.

1. Luongo has a salary that is holding up a trade.

Luo's salary is right where it should be for an elite goalie. He is top 5 in this league and is worth every penny he is getting. In fact an argument could be made that he deserves a higher salary. The big sniffle seems to be that his contract is too long. Does anyone think he will stay for the whole thing? He is a proud man and will move on when he feels he isn't playing at the top of his game. Let's face it folks, Roberto isn't a back up kind of guy.

2. Ballard isn't a top 4 D.

If AV had used Ballard properly we would all be saying how good he is and we would be lauding the trade. Instead he came in with a hip injury and never has been given the chance to play like he can. He is as fast as anyone else on the team. He is a great open ice hitter. His passes are strong and on the blade. He is more of an offensive D than a defensive one. Play him that way, tell him to go when he sees an opening and watch out.

3. Doan will put us over the cap if we sign him.

Lawrence Gilman was hired specifically to keep us under the cap and he does. When Gilman says we can afford Doan, that folks is something you can take to the bank. Unless of course you are of the mindset that any of us has a better understanding of the cap than Gilman. I know I don't and I wasn't offered hundreds of thousands a year to do the job either. Why oh why argue about salaries when we have the best in the business looking after it all.
Last edited by Canuck-One on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11346
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by RoyalDude » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:32 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Agreed, fine line, and the dude crosses it more often than the Pope crosses himself around you-know-wots. :D
And you Doc Abbylove are totally and completely squeaky clean when it comes to line crossing. Painting the Kettle Black are we, my ol' pal. :eh:
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11346
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by RoyalDude » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:48 pm

Canuck-One wrote:There are three things I disagree with in all of this back and forth discussion.



2. Ballard isn't a top 4 D.

If AV had used Ballard properly we would all be saying how good he is and we would be lauding the trade. Instead he came in with a hip injury and never has been given the chance to play like he can. He is as fast as anyone else on the team. He is a great open ice hitter. He passes are strong and on the blade. He is more of an offensive D than a defensive one. Play him that way, tell him to go when he sees an opening and watch out.

3. Doan will put us over the cap if we sign him.

Lawrence Gilman was hired specifically to keep us under the cap and he does. When Gilman says we can afford Doan, that folks is something you can take to the bank. Unless of course you are of the mindset that any of us has a better understanding of the cap than Gilman. I know I don't and I wasn't offered hundreds of thousands a year to do the job either. Why oh why argue about salaries when we have the best in the business looking after it all.
Disagree on both accounts. You missed the most vital important pre-requisite to becoming labelled at 'Top 4' Defenseman, if you do not have the offensive gift that can overlook this deficiency. Ballard makes a lot of mistakes, a lot of giveaways, is a bit 'reckless abandon', very inconsistent and very unpredictable. This pretty much described Jovanovski in his prime but what seperates Jovo from Ballard was his offense, size, toughness, speed, jumping in the rush, shot from the point etc... Ballard unfortunately does not have enough X Factor to be considered top 4 Defenseman where we can all look past those deficiencies that he has, especially under the tight, structured coaching systems you see with Tippitt, Hitchcock, Babcock, AV etc.,

Sure, we can afford Doan, Booth blah, blah, but is it smart spending? No....I do not feel comfortable being squashed up against the cap with an old man like Doan and players like Booth and Ballard. I don't mind being jammed against the cap with players like Parise, Suter, Weber etc. The problem being here, we are capping out with average players and should I say, players on their last legs. Not smart managing of your funds if you ask me, not too mention during all of this, a unknown new collective bargaining agreement that hangs over all of this like a dark cloud. Plus trading a Raymond and his measly salary does not solve anything really. In fact, most GM's would call his current one - year contract -workable and chance worth taking even if it don't work out for ol' Raymond.

The bottom line, the Booth fans here are too entrenched and will not waiver in their love for him, me I don't get the love. For me, he is simply not my kind of hockey player and I find his presence on this team irritating cause of the money he makes. I like him about as much as most of you like Raymond 'sarcasm'. If Booth played with a bit more of an edge, he doesn't play with enough passion and if he could fucking look where he is going (head up) with that terrible stick handling of his, I may not mind him. I have not seen worse stick handling since Stever Bernier, in fact Booth's is worse. He's too easy going, and at times is an absolute train-wreck in our zone.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11346
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by RoyalDude » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:55 pm

CaptainTrev wrote:
Speaking of which, where IS RD? Still waiting for clarification on how much better this offseason would be without Sturm, Samuelsson or Booth on the books.
Well, to be honest...I liked Samuelsson. He looked great in the playoffs for the Panthers, where Booth looked like shite for us but that is besides the point. I just simply do not like Booth and that doesn't seem to rest to well with the clique here. Is Booth really the best you could get with 4.5? The clique will tell you "you're darn tootin' but me? I don't think so. I'd be all teeth to have Samuelsson in the fold instead of Booth.

Just live with it Trev, I just simply and dearly would love to have both Ballard and Booth off the books. Now you my friend, need to move on.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17009
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Strangelove » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:15 pm

RoyalDude wrote: I'd be all teeth to have Samuelsson in the fold instead of Booth.
YOUNGER, bigger and FASTER? :eh:
RoyalDude wrote: I just simply and dearly would love to have both Ballard and Booth off the books.
Simple is as simple does dear?

I’d rather the Canucks spend to the cap. :wink:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11346
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by RoyalDude » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:23 pm

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: I'd be all teeth to have Samuelsson in the fold instead of Booth.
YOUNGER, bigger and FASTER? :eh:
RoyalDude wrote: I just simply and dearly would love to have both Ballard and Booth off the books.
Simple is as simple does dear?

I’d rather the Canucks spend to the cap. :wink:
I'm half Scottish, Half Italian Doc. Which makes me extremely cheap.I would rather not spend any money at all.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17009
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by Strangelove » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:33 pm

RoyalDude wrote: I'm half Scottish, Half Italian Doc. Which makes me extremely cheap.I would rather not spend any money at all.
But it's not your money!

BTW how come it took 16 years for you to tell us about your sheep-lovin half? :wink:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Locked