Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Post by coco_canuck » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:40 pm

It's really funny how much bandwidth has been wasted talking about Booth's religion.

Honestly, as long as he plays well and his teammates like him I could care less about what he does or doesn't believe in. I may tune him out when he goes on about religion, but he's an athlete, not a politician who is projecting his religious views on issues of the state.

No one can unequivocally prove that God does or doesn't exist, the only thing that's arguable is the merits of organized religion, but that has nothing to do with Booth.

Hamhuis is an incredibly religious individual, and I don't see that getting in the way of his performance or relationship with his teammates.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:12 pm

I suppose that the fear is how an overly, outspoken Christian can contaminate a dressing room. And it can happen. The difference here is that I am sure MG (sure as in I know) checked and double checked to make sure that neither Hamhuis nor Booth would be that negative influence due to their beliefs. He did his due diligence as best he could before he brought either player on board. So I too do not see it ever being a problem. Last season there was a clash of beliefs surrounding Torres. Players loved his on ice play and loved going to battle with him but off the ice he was described as a fucking pig. His lifestyle, his treatment of the opposite sex and his dressing room talk got under the skin of a few players. Due to that he did not fit the culture that the Canucks dressing room was beginning to take on. So it was no surprise that hew as not offered a contract by the Canucks. One of the players that had said he would not re-sign was Higgins.

If you listen to Higgins post season interview he says he enjoyed playing with most of the guys and moving forward he would make a decision about whether he would re-sign in Vancouver as the summer went on. What was telling was that he said "most of the guys". The message he had delivered was that he was waiting to see what happen to Torres and he would not re-sign if Torres did.

Higgins was not the only player offended by Torres and his off ice way of life. But he was the only one who was not under contract who could make a point. So a choice was made.

This is only a small example of how cultures can clash in a dressing room over life values. Calgary is another, more insidious example. Captain Iggy is known to run a tight ship inside the dressing room as a good christian leader. It has caused conflict with players like Diana.

So I get the concern about the impact in the dressing room but I do not see it as being a problem on this team. Not yet. And I have no evidence that it will become one. Hamhuis is rather silent about his beliefs and Booth is more vocal. I long for the day when both can hoist the cup and thank gawd for all he has done. I will be giving thanks then too! :D
The only HW the Canucks need

ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:58 pm

To be totally honest, I am more surprised that Booths hunting ways are not more of an issue on the left coast. When Booth talked about his grizzly bear hunt on CBC I cringed thinking that he was alienating a big chunk of Vancouver's tree hugging, eco friendly, free range, organic, veganauts.

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:09 pm

ukcanuck wrote:To be totally honest, I am more surprised that Booths hunting ways are not more of an issue on the left coast. When Booth talked about his grizzly bear hunt on CBC I cringed thinking that he was alienating a big chunk of Vancouver's tree hugging, eco friendly, free range, organic, veganauts.
Free range Grizzly gall bladder is organic. The night market in Richmond sold an extra 2500 fake Booth jerseys that night.

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:49 pm

I'm a bit surprised to hear that about Torres. I thought I saw an interview with him last year and he was talking about his young family and his new baby girl or something. I also remember when Manny got the eye injury, Torres was quite choked up about the whole ordeal and he really seemed to care about his mate. Maybe he's just good buds with Manny from their days in Columbus, and I always thought that was a big reason why Torres came to Vancouver for $1mill last season.
Hockey Widow wrote:Last season there was a clash of beliefs surrounding Torres. Players loved his on ice play and loved going to battle with him but off the ice he was described as a fucking pig. His lifestyle, his treatment of the opposite sex and his dressing room talk got under the skin of a few players. Due to that he did not fit the culture that the Canucks dressing room was beginning to take on.

I guess Diana is Dion? I guess that'd make sense cuz I always thought it was kind of odd Calgary traded him.
Calgary is another, more insidious example. Captain Iggy is known to run a tight ship inside the dressing room as a good christian leader. It has caused conflict with players like Diana.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:20 pm

ukcanuck wrote:To be totally honest, I am more surprised that Booths hunting ways are not more of an issue on the left coast. When Booth talked about his grizzly bear hunt on CBC I cringed thinking that he was alienating a big chunk of Vancouver's tree hugging, eco friendly, free range, organic, veganauts.

Yes, I was waiting for the backlash on that too. But then Tiger was an avid hunter as well so perhaps he is in good company.
The only HW the Canucks need

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:53 am

dhabums wrote:
Old Stick wrote: Evangelicals are neither to be trusted nor accommodated. Full stop. If their bullshit was going on in my dressing room I'd ask for it to stop, a different room or a trade. Also full stop.
I am 100% with you on this. The second Hamhuis went down in the SCF I thought, "thank Buddha he and his Bible are out of the dressing room. Now we can just be a team and win the Cup.".

Full stop.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nicely done.

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:04 am

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I guess Diana is Dion? I guess that'd make sense cuz I always thought it was kind of odd Calgary traded him.
Calgary is another, more insidious example. Captain Iggy is known to run a tight ship inside the dressing room as a good christian leader. It has caused conflict with players like Diana.
That may have had something to do with it, but more than likely the Flame's organization got tired of watching him take stupid penalties, make bone-headed mistakes, and ultimately not live up to the hype surrounding him when they drafted him. That coupled with the rumors that were circulating about the multiple sightings of him in various clubs strung out on coke and being a complete asshole. I've got several friends in Calgary who saw this first hand. So add up the disappointing performance, the bad PR, the attitude, and the monster cap hit, then throw in some of the Iginla's views and leadership, and pile on Brian Burke's hard-on for Phaneuf's style of players, and you've got a recipe for a trade.

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:58 am

Why would the Flames organization be sick of watching Phaneuf take stupid penalties and then reward guys like Bourques and Glencross with long term deals?

No doubt Phaneuf lost that dressing room battle. Thing is, it has become more than apparent that the leadership of Iginla is more than suspect on and off the ice. He isn't the leader most seem to think he is. At least he hasn't been the last few seasons.

Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:20 am

Hockey Widow wrote:

Yes, I was waiting for the backlash on that too. But then Tiger was an avid hunter as well so perhaps he is in good company.
I don't see hunting being an issue. Hunting is far 'greener and ethical' for some than other methods of butchering. In fact with so many people in the Lower Mainland hunting coming from other places it's likely hunting is not frowned upon.

As for Booth and Hamhuis and their good lord, big deal. I'll take a bunch of Raelians if it means we can win the Cup. I live in a pretty concentrated Bible belt area and some of my more pious friends are the biggest shit talking sinners I ever met. I guess they just like to cleanse regularly.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.

Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:29 am

tantalum wrote:Why would the Flames organization be sick of watching Phaneuf take stupid penalties and then reward guys like Bourques and Glencross with long term deals?

No doubt Phaneuf lost that dressing room battle. Thing is, it has become more than apparent that the leadership of Iginla is more than suspect on and off the ice. He isn't the leader most seem to think he is. At least he hasn't been the last few seasons.
The Flames sent off Phaneuf, Regehr, and Camalleri from their core and acquired Jokinen, Bouwmeester, Hagman, and more to appease the leadership of Iginla. Then add in the odd-ball contracts and NMCs plus poor drafting and you have a team and management that all went to the ends of the earth to keep one guy happy. Anyone with a fucking inkling of management intelligence should have seen the bass-akwards moves and stopped them. There is no player greater than the team other than perhaps Crosby. Iginla, for all he has done, has never been in that echelon of player and it was foolish for Flames fans and management to place him there like a god.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.

herb
CC Legend

Post by herb » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:34 am

Not sure where to put this as it doesn't deserve it's own thread, but apparently GMMG has been trying to move Ballard.
Vancouver GM Mike Gillis, a longtime reader of this column, has been trying to move D Keith Ballard. The Canucks would like a blueliner in return and there’s some belief they may try to pry D Matt Carle out of Philly.
http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/11/26/sta ... inla-trade

herb
CC Legend

Post by herb » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:40 am

Fred wrote:I never said that I said they are doing what they were signed to do Re read my post.
Uhh yeah you did say you would play Weise and Ebbett ahead of Booth.

Unless you meant Stephen Weiss out of Florida.
Fred wrote:if it was up to me Booth would be in the press box, Weiss & Ebbett (injured lucky for Booth ) is playing better IMO.

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:43 am

Matt Carle is $3.4 and Ballard is $4.2 both clubs are up to their limit Cap space. I must say I liked Carle
cheers

jackalman
CC Veteran

Post by jackalman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:45 am

Herb don`t you know the difference between saying something and typing it? ;)