Official Luongo Hate / Love Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Official Luongo Hate / Love Thread

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: Is he a great competitor or a flakey head case?
BOTH

... but then every goaltender is a flakey head case in my professional opinion.

(no offense Clambo)
Cornuck wrote: Does he deserve every start or should Schnieder get a chance to play for the #1 spot?
I think Lou should play close to 60 games. I also think we need a coach who knows when to (and isn't afraid to) pull him. You can tell when Lou is begining to unravel. Many folks were screaming for him to be pulled at some point in STF Game 3, and some felt Shneids should get the start in Game 4). When Luongo melts down he MELTS DOWN. He gave up 12 goals in just over 4 periods (last 2 in Game 3, first 2 in Game 4. Hmmm quick check of the stats tells me he only let in 8 goals in the other 14 STF periods = MAGNIFICENT). But I digress.

He's one of the top goalies in the world and Schneids is unproven = Lou deserves at least 50 starts.
Cornuck wrote: Best goalie we've ever had or just an overhyped B grade goalie?
Best goalie we ever had PERIOD.
Cornuck wrote: If you were the GM, what would you do with him? Keep him or gently suggest that he might be better off in a small market like Florida?
Keep him unless we can add a solid proven veteran goalie + TOUGHNESS. :thumbs:

In answer to the thread title question: LOVE him. :blush:

It's possible Bobby Lou can become an even better goaltender going forward. He's not that old... for a goalie.

Agree with those who said remember the goalies we've suffered and think about why Vcr is the Goaltender Graveyard.
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Good post doc..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Harrison Mooney had a good take:

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2011/10/19 ... r-18-2011/
After allowing three goals, Roberto Luongo played a routine puck at the side of his net and was greeted with a bronx cheer by the Rogers Arena crowd behind him. Seriously? Just how good does a scoring chance have to be for Luongo to avoid blame? This is getting ridiculous. The puck could be beamed into the net by the Enterprise transporter and Canuck fans would blame Luongo for failing to activate a transport inhibitor.
That’s four goals, each the result of egregiously blown defensive assignments, and the goalie is at fault? Asinine. You’re going to hear about how, regardless of whether Luongo was to blame or not, it’s clear that the city of Vancouver’s relationship with him has become toxic. It’s hogwash. If we can’t reasonably determine who to blame tonight, we aren’t smart enough to avoid running the next goalie out of town either.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

darren wrote:Harrison Mooney had a good take:

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2011/10/19 ... r-18-2011/
After allowing three goals, Roberto Luongo played a routine puck at the side of his net and was greeted with a bronx cheer by the Rogers Arena crowd behind him. Seriously? Just how good does a scoring chance have to be for Luongo to avoid blame? This is getting ridiculous. The puck could be beamed into the net by the Enterprise transporter and Canuck fans would blame Luongo for failing to activate a transport inhibitor.
That’s four goals, each the result of egregiously blown defensive assignments, and the goalie is at fault? Asinine. You’re going to hear about how, regardless of whether Luongo was to blame or not, it’s clear that the city of Vancouver’s relationship with him has become toxic. It’s hogwash. If we can’t reasonably determine who to blame tonight, we aren’t smart enough to avoid running the next goalie out of town either.
I will NEVER give a shit about the opinion of anyone in the media who doesn't pay for tickets when it comes to what fans should do. Until the Vancouver Canucks start refunding money for garbage product the fans right to boo said garbage is paid for and earned.

Just a question Darren, but if you go out for dinner and everything is awful, do you applaud the staff on the way out thanking them for trying? Do you go back again the next week for fear of "running out a possibly great restaurant"? Do you tell everyone how great the food was?

Clearly Luongo was not at fault for anything in the Rangers game. He's only the goalie, and he should only be expected to stop the shots that are played perfectly by the defence. That is why he is only paid $1M a year and has to earn a new deal annually.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

dhabums wrote:
I will NEVER give a shit about the opinion of anyone in the media who doesn't pay for tickets when it comes to what fans should do. Until the Vancouver Canucks start refunding money for garbage product the fans right to boo said garbage is paid for and earned.

Just a question Darren, but if you go out for dinner and everything is awful, do you applaud the staff on the way out thanking them for trying? Do you go back again the next week for fear of "running out a possibly great restaurant"? Do you tell everyone how great the food was?
Do you really stand up and applaud the staff at a restaurant when you've truly enjoyed your meal?

Do you jeer them for a bad experience in the past?

I think the Canucks have put a pretty damn good product on the ice for the past few years and I'm not alone judging by their sellout streak and season ticket wait list. Like a good restaurant that I have enjoyed in the past, I am more than happy to give them the benefit of the doubt and go back.

Also if I really don't like what I'm being served I don't boo, I simply don't go back.

:wink:
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

dhabums wrote:

Clearly Luongo was not at fault for anything in the Rangers game. He's only the goalie, and he should only be expected to stop the shots that are played perfectly by the defence. That is why he is only paid $1M a year and has to earn a new deal annually.

That's a tad ingenious, making goaltenders earn their contracts before they play them :shock:
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

The position of goaltending standing alone is overrated like fuckin' hell.
Even the best goalie is just as good as the team in front of him, sometimes someone gets lucky and steals a game for a weak team effort, that's it. You can't expect from someone to steal everything.

ps: Neither hate Luongo nor loving him but i think he's a very good goalie in comparison esp. with his cap hit...
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

dhabums wrote: I will NEVER give a shit about the opinion of anyone in the media who doesn't pay for tickets when it comes to what fans should do. Until the Vancouver Canucks start refunding money for garbage product the fans right to boo said garbage is paid for and earned.

Just a question Darren, but if you go out for dinner and everything is awful, do you applaud the staff on the way out thanking them for trying?
It's not about the booing. You paid for your ticket, do what you want.

It's about absurd and unreasonable criticism. (Not all the criticism is absurd and unreasonable of course, I share some of it). It's about blaming Lou for shit that happens (or doesn't happen) 200 ft away from him, and expecting him to walk on water like Jesus Christ Almighty Himself because he takes home 10m (a number that is completely and utterly irrelevant to everyone on this earth except Aqualini's accountant). How many times has someone posted: "I don't care how tough that shot is, you make 10 million bucks so you HAVE TO make that save." In other words: "walk on water, please".

It's also about the selective memory about the performance Lou, and of other goaltenders.

"Lou lost us the Stanley Cup": But we won two of the games ONE TO NOTHING (completely forgotten) and scored a grand fucking total of EIGHT goals. But it's all Lou's fault. (By the way: the correlation between goals scored by Boston and Vancouver each game in the finals was near zero: it didn't fucking matter if Lou was great or a sieve, we never scored anyway. So spare me the "Lou sucks so bad that he made the rest of the team suck" argument because that argument sucks).

A Vezina nominee NOT named Luongo crapped the bed last night, but I suppose he gets a pass because those were tough shots (a pass that Luongo would never, ever get around here). I'm surprised this board isn't all over Lou for not getting the shutout. And can you IMAGINE what would have happened if Lou had let in that little five-hole softy in OT of the gold medal game? Or the brutal goal in game 2 OT of the SCF? Or the unscreened slapper from 40 ft in round 1 game 7 OT? (Right after making a series saving save on Sharp, but of course that's been forgotten too in the "Luongo playoff meltdown" narrative). He would have been nailed to a cross in the arena parking lot.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Aaronp18 wrote:
dhabums wrote:

Do you really stand up and applaud the staff at a restaurant when you've truly enjoyed your meal?

Do you jeer them for a bad experience in the past?
Your names do rhyme, so maybe you got confused.

I think (although maybe I'm giving to much credit) that people do understand that voicing your displeasure with the product is done in different ways at different venues. Anyone too sensitive to handle a bit of razzing at a hockey game has chosen the wrong profession.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

darren wrote:[
"Lou lost us the Stanley Cup": But we won two of the games ONE TO NOTHING (completely forgotten) and scored a grand fucking total of EIGHT goals. But it's all Lou's fault. (By the way: the correlation between goals scored by Boston and Vancouver each game in the finals was near zero: it didn't fucking matter if Lou was great or a sieve, we never scored anyway. So spare me the "Lou sucks so bad that he made the rest of the team suck" argument because that argument sucks).
When your goalie is sub par in 4 of 7 games, it is almost never a good thing. The Luongo debate didn't start last June. It has become an annual discussion as we bow out ungracefully from the playoffs. His penchant for meltdowns and terrible goals against at terrible times isn't a figment of this board's imagination. While I m sure there are some people prepared to blame RL solely for the losses, that really isn't the discussion at hand.

Your correlation argument if pointless in this discussion and ignores so many facets of sport I am not sure where to begin. Instead, I'll respond in kind:

The Canucks could have scored 14 more goals in the series and still lost in 7. While you may want to tell yourself your goalie's performance doesn't affect the rest of the team and how the game is played, I'll most respectfully and smirkingly disagree.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

dhabums wrote: Your names do rhyme, so maybe you got confused.
If you don't want anyone else responding to your comments there's a lovely little PM feature on this fine website.

:thumbs:
dhabums wrote: I think (although maybe I'm giving to much credit) that people do understand that voicing your displeasure with the product is done in different ways at different venues. Anyone too sensitive to handle a bit of razzing at a hockey game has chosen the wrong profession.
I agree with you, and that's kind of the point I was making.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Rumsfeld wrote:
I'm depressing the shit out of myself right now. This must be how dhabums feels all the time. :?
:lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

You pay your money, you have the right to boo Lou.

If I'm sitting next to you I have the right to get in your face about that.
____
Try to focus on someday.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

From Down Goes Brown today:
Roberto Luongo
Will be attempting to win 16 playoff games this year the way great goaltenders do, instead of winning 15 playoff games the way completely terrible goaltenders do.
:lol:
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I got so frustrated debating Luongo a few weeks ago, pointing to the numerous stats supporting his elite play since the lockout, pointing out that no goalie can win a 7 game series when his team scores all of 8 goals, showing that his stats in elimination games are not as bad as people think, that his defense by the end of the Chicago series in '10 was utterly brutal, led by One-Ball Sami...

But Spector said it all so much better than I ever could:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/10/ ... n_canucks/