#17 Kesler Should be Back Soon

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2786
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

#17 Kesler Should be Back Soon

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocente ... L|VAN|home

Skating on a line with Higgy and CoHo. Line has some potential, Higgy working hard in the corners going to greasy areas, CoHo the setup man and Kesler with his sniping ability and two-way play. Although not sure if CoHo is NHL ready, I think his vision and passing is pretty good, especially on the 2nd unit PP. Sounds like Sturm is the odd man out with Kes's return.

Last edited by Todd Bersnoozi on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: #17 Kesler Should be Back Soon

Post by dhabums »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocente ... L|VAN|home

Skating on a line with Higgy and CoHo. Line has some potential, Higgy working hard in the corners going to greasy areas, CoHo the setup man and Kesler with his sniping ability and two-way play. Although not sure if CoHo is NHL ready, I think his vision and passing is pretty good, especially on the 2nd unit PP. Sounds like Sturm is the odd man out with Kes's return.
He is playing Tuesday according to nhl.com, Tanev was sent to Chicago.
User avatar
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 948
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: around the bend

Re: #17 Kesler Should be Back Soon

Post by sagebrush »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocente ... L|VAN|home

Skating on a line with Higgy and CoHo. Line has some potential, Higgy working hard in the corners going to greasy areas, CoHo the setup man and Kesler with his sniping ability and two-way play. Although not sure if CoHo is NHL ready, I think his vision and passing is pretty good, especially on the 2nd unit PP. Sounds like Sturm is the odd man out with Kes's return.
Having Kesler is a big plus - when he's healthy. Hope he isn't rushing it.

AV seems unimpressed by Hodgeson. AV quote:“There are certain areas he needs to get better at and we’ve discussed it with him. You’ve got a young man there who really wants to work hard and try to find his way on a consistent basis in the NHL.”
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2786
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: #17 Kesler Should be Back Soon

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

If Kes is 100% and depending how the higgy-kes-coho line works, I wouldn't mind sending CoHo to the minors for a few months to let him work on his game. Maybe give sammy or marco a chance with higgy/kes.

sagebrush wrote:AV seems unimpressed by Hodgeson. AV quote:“There are certain areas he needs to get better at and we’ve discussed it with him. You’ve got a young man there who really wants to work hard and try to find his way on a consistent basis in the NHL.”
User avatar
Rudypoo
CC Veteran
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: #17 Kesler Should be Back Soon

Post by Rudypoo »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:If Kes is 100% and depending how the higgy-kes-coho line works, I wouldn't mind sending CoHo to the minors for a few months to let him work on his game. Maybe give sammy or marco a chance with higgy/kes.
You know, I was of the same opinion at the end of training camp. But I've been impressed by how CoHo has fit in...based on what I had seen of him until the start of this season I really didn't believe that he would be able to keep up with the pace yet. But so far he's been a reasonably effective 2nd line centre, which I think is good enough to earn him some time on the wing; taking secondary faceoffs and playing with upgraded linemate(s) for a while can't be bad for his development.
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: #17 Kesler Should be Back Soon

Post by tantalum »

sagebrush wrote:AV seems unimpressed by Hodgeson.[/url] AV quote:“There are certain areas he needs to get better at and we’ve discussed it with him. You’ve got a young man there who really wants to work hard and try to find his way on a consistent basis in the NHL.”
I don't buy that AV is unimpressed at all. We all know that AV is more than willing to sit and bench young guys. Instead he is giving Hodgson a regular shift 5-on-5, PP time on the second unit and playing him in close games with less than 5 minutes left (in Philly he put Hodgson on to win an important draw). He's averaging 15 minutes a game...that isn't something AV does unless he is happy with how a guy is performing. It also says a lot that it is Hodgson getting moved to teh eing on the second line to accommodate the return of Kesler while Sturm and Samuelsson have been demoted to the bottom 6 (note that Higgins is being promoted to the top 6 after his strong play).

What remains to be seen is if Hodgson can adjust to the wing or if he struggles if they put Kesler on the wing and Hodgson at center.Hodgson has things to work on, like any young player. That much is obvious but as AV also said that is doing nice things with the puck. The fact that so far this year he is single handedly making the second PP unit dangerous gives him a good chance to stick.
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16062
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: #17 Kesler Should be Back Soon

Post by Hockey Widow »

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canu ... story.html

All good news as far as I can see. Great to have Kesler back. Good for Hodgson getting a shot on the 2nd line wing. Lord knows that neither Samuellson nor Sturm have deserved it yet.

Also glad Tanev got sent down. I know he is ready to play in the NHL but he has things to work on and we can afford to let him do that.

Love the new D pairings and it will be interesting to see if they work out.

Hamhuis/Edler
Bieksa/Ballard
Alberts/Salo

Ballard will get his chance to play top 4 minutes. Salo will get less ice time, get PP time and hopefully help make the bottom pairing better.

Our line up still needs a tweak here or there, especially the 4th line. But great to have Kesler back. I predict he scores his first game back and reenergizes the whole line up.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Re: #17 Kesler Should be Back Soon

Post by coco_canuck »

As someone who was critical of Hodgson during training camp, I`ve been pleased with what I`ve seen from him so far in 5 games. As DBR mentioned a few days ago, consistency is what all rookies and young players look for. Not to minimize what Cody has done so far, but it`s only been 5 games, and he has a long way to go before we can know what we have heading deeper into the season.

The next challenge for Cody is playing on the wing with a puck dominating winger. In theory, if Cody can hold his own along the boards and on the forecheck, something he still has to improve on, he could be a good fit as a pass-first winger with some skill to compliment Kesler and a strong checking, north-south winger in Higgins. However, moving to the wing isn`t as easy as it seems, but nonetheless Cody won`t be used as the 3rd or 4th line centre, AV made that clear, so the only option for him to stay in the starting line-up is being on the wing. We`ll see what the kid can do.
Last edited by coco_canuck on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2786
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: #17 Kesler Should be Back Soon

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

U may be right, AV maybe just saying some BS to push CoHo to play better/harder. Keep CoHo playing with some desperation and not to rest on his laurels.

Tantalum wrote:I don't buy that AV is unimpressed at all. We all know that AV is more than willing to sit and bench young guys. Instead he is giving Hodgson a regular shift 5-on-5, PP time on the second unit and playing him in close games with less than 5 minutes left (in Philly he put Hodgson on to win an important draw). He's averaging 15 minutes a game...that isn't something AV does unless he is happy with how a guy is performing. It also says a lot that it is Hodgson getting moved to teh eing on the second line to accommodate the return of Kesler while Sturm and Samuelsson have been demoted to the bottom 6 (note that Higgins is being promoted to the top 6 after his strong play).

What remains to be seen is if Hodgson can adjust to the wing or if he struggles if they put Kesler on the wing and Hodgson at center.Hodgson has things to work on, like any young player. That much is obvious but as AV also said that is doing nice things with the puck. The fact that so far this year he is single handedly making the second PP unit dangerous gives him a good chance to stick.
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16062
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: #17 Kesler Should be Back Soon

Post by Hockey Widow »

coco_canuck wrote: The next challenge for Cody is playing on the wing with a puck dominating winger. In theory, if Cody can hold his own along the boards and on the forecheck, something he still has to improve on, he could be a good fit as a pass-first winger with some skill to compliment Kesler and a strong checking, north-south winger in Higgins. However, moving to the wing isn`t as easy as it seems, but nonetheless, Cody won`t be used as the 3rd or 4th line centre, AV made that clear, so the only option for him to stay in the starting line-up is being on the wing. We`ll see what the kid can do.

Absolutely right CC. If CoHo cannot make a successful transition to wing then there is no place for him in our line up at this point. And yes, his weakness has been his board play thus far so he has a huge challenge ahead of him. Playing with Kesler and Higgins should help him though as he will get his opportunities.

As far as line up changes go, moving Samuellson back to the 3rd line will also make us stronger, if Hansen finds his game again. That has the makings to be a great 3rd line, speed, toughness, skill. Our 4th line still, what's new, needs work.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Rudypoo
CC Veteran
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: #17 Kesler Should be Back Soon

Post by Rudypoo »

Hockey Widow wrote:http://www.vancouversun.com/sports

Also glad Tanev got sent down. I know he is ready to play in the NHL but he has things to work on and we can afford to let him do that.
...and how great is it to see the Canucks in a position to do that with a legitimately NHL-ready 21 year old :mrgreen:
Love the new D pairings and it will be interesting to see if they work out.

Hamhuis/Edler
Bieksa/Ballard
Alberts/Salo

Ballard will get his chance to play top 4 minutes. Salo will get less ice time, get PP time and hopefully help make the bottom pairing better.
By all logic the KB3/KB4 pairing should be a defensive disaster. But I'm definitely willing to wait and see.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: #17 Kesler Should be Back Soon

Post by Potatoe1 »

Short term I'm not sure how the Kesler / Hodgson combo will work.

Ryan is just coming back from injury and Cody is a young player who will need to adjust to a new position.

Long term however Kesler is of course going to be fantastic and Cody is far and away the best talent we have up front so in terms of projecting the second line moving forward a Kesler / Hodgson combo must have people at least a little excited.

I was a bit critical of hodgsons camp as well but through 5 regular season games he has been very good. Most prospects that shine in the pre-season and then fall back when the intensity picks up in the regular season. Hodgson has been the opposite, he's been better as the pace has picked up. In fact his best games have been against the top teams we have played this year. If he can move to the wing and continue his play it would be incredibly good for this organization.

A combo that can consistently carry the second line would be a huge, not just this year but for the next several years, and right now Hodgson is the only guys who's even shown a glimpse of being capable of playing with Kesler long term.
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16062
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: #17 Kesler Should be Back Soon

Post by Hockey Widow »

Rudypoo wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:http://www.vancouversun.com/sports
By all logic the KB3/KB4 pairing should be a defensive disaster. But I'm definitely willing to wait and see.

No kidding. As I was typing how nice it was to see a shake up on D I was thinking the same thing. If Bad Kev shows up and Keith goes for too many skates then it could get fun to watch the cluster chuck back there.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Re: #17 Kesler Should be Back Soon

Post by coco_canuck »

Hockey Widow wrote: As far as line up changes go, moving Samuellson back to the 3rd line will also make us stronger, if Hansen finds his game again. That has the makings to be a great 3rd line, speed, toughness, skill. Our 4th line still, what's new, needs work.
Like Tater said, there will be a transition period for both Kesler and Hodgson, but your point that Higgins and Kesler thrive in puck retrieval is a good one.

I'm always worried about Sammy in a more defensive role on the 3rd line, but he's decent when he plays with determination. He does like to dominate the puck a lot, and that can be problematic with Hansen who likes to do the same, but at least Hansen is a pass first player.

Not sure how that 3rd will work out, but the best case is Sammy playing a smart and assertive game and allowing Hansen to take advantage of his passing skills by getting in good scoring chances and not holding the puck too much. The worst case, well since we've seen the bad Sammy for a couple of years I don't think it bears repeating.

Potatoe1 wrote: A combo that can consistently carry the second line would be a huge, not just this year but for the next several years, and right now Hodgson is the only guys who's even shown a glimpse of being capable of playing with Kesler long term.
Yeah, that's the ideal situation. Although it's too early to tell for certain, I think Jensen would look mighty good on a line with Kesler.
User avatar
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 948
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: around the bend

Re: #17 Kesler Should be Back Soon

Post by sagebrush »

tantalum wrote:I don't buy that AV is unimpressed at all. We all know that AV is more than willing to sit and bench young guys. Instead he is giving Hodgson a regular shift 5-on-5, PP time on the second unit and playing him in close games with less than 5 minutes left (in Philly he put Hodgson on to win an important draw). He's averaging 15 minutes a game...that isn't something AV does unless he is happy with how a guy is performing. . ..
Never said AV was dumping on Hodgeson, but skepticism is evident. We have seen the leash tighten quickly before. I hope Hodgeson stays with the big club, and has more time to adjust to NHL speed/quality. AV uses what he has.

Putting Hodgeson on the wing seemed inevitable, considering the Canucks strength up the centre. Getting sustained, quality time for him probably requires it. The key may be how Hodgeson learns his new defensive obligations.

The KB3/4 defensive pairing shakes my confidence in AV as a coach. Both these guys like to take risks/ be aggressive (more than Hamhuis & Salo), and (KB3/4) benefit from pairing with a more defensely focused D. I hope it goes well, but it could end badly, and hurt Ballard's progress. There has been more caution in Ballard's game this year..... some cause for hope.
Post Reply