“The Most Hated Team in Hockey” Circle the wagons.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: “The Most Hated Team in Hockey” Circle the wagons.

Post by Strangelove »

dhabums wrote:
rats19 wrote:Or because we boo'd the 72 team...which if truth be known is why they ended up winning that series..lofl
If that was the case, you know the leaves and Habs fans that made up a huge portion of the crowd in 1972 would be taking credit for it.
BOOOOOO!!!

Although.... the ultimate torture is alotta their kids grew up to become Canuck fans! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BCExpat wrote:When I read the title of this thread, I thought you were talking about my Flames :roll:
YOU WISH!! ;)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

herb wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: I know why the Vancouver Canucks are hated throughout the league and it isn't only because they have a good hockey team.
How come Blobcat?

Is it because our best players are Swedes, Yanks and flakey Quebecois?

Ot is it because our fairweather, bandwagon jumping fans are cockier than most despite our club's historical lack of success?
Come on herbo..... really ? I think it might have something to do with H Sedin, R Luongo, A Burrows, M Raymond, M Lapierre and R Kesler going down like they've been hit by a 44 slug each and every time they've been touched, complete with a head snap .
Maybe it's the taunting by the French Canadian players that rub some folks the wrong way, or the goalie who has the pouting look of a 12 year old kid and passes the buck quicker than a pervert at a peep show.

Or perhaps it's because we have had guys who pull hair, bite, and cry on tv about how they're being treated by NHL officials. Hey maybe Ryan Kesler's bullshit move in a fight against Andrew Ladd a couple of years ago sours some NHL fans opinions of the Canucks. Trying to slam a guys head into the ice after he dotted you with a clean punch is a classless move in any league.

I am a Canucks fan through and through but there are some guys on this team I don't like and I can sure as hell see why fans of other teams hate the Canucks.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob, in the OP I mentioned that a decade ago the Leaves were hated for pretty much the same reasons. At the time I personally figured it was all filtering down from GM/coach Quinn. Don't get me wrong, Quinn was a great coach imo but it seemed to me he didn't do anything to discourage certain.... attitudes.

If you are correct in that our Canucks have become a bunch of whining taunting classless divers, I'd be interested in your opinion as to how that came to be. And: How do we correct this situation? Or at this point should we just attempt to whine, taunt, and dive our way to the Stanley Cup?

Also IF you are correct, what do you think about said Leaves team being coddled by the media versus said Canucks team being constantly absolutely shat upon by the media. I'm hoping you are a supporter of the Media Bias Conspiracy Theory.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:Blob, in the OP I mentioned that a decade ago the Leaves were hated for pretty much the same reasons. At the time I personally figured it was all filtering down from GM/coach Quinn. Don't get me wrong, Quinn was a great coach imo but it seemed to me he didn't do anything to discourage certain.... attitudes.

If you are correct in that our Canucks have become a bunch of whining taunting classless divers, I'd be interested in your opinion as to how that came to be. And: How do we correct this situation? Or at this point should we just attempt to whine, taunt, and dive our way to the Stanley Cup?

Also IF you are correct, what do you think about said Leaves team being coddled by the media versus said Canucks team being constantly absolutely shat upon by the media. I'm hoping you are a supporter of the Media Bias Conspiracy Theory.
Doc .... the Leaves could also back up their cheap play and classless antics

see Tahir Domi, Wade Belak, Bryan McCabe, Shane Corson, Gary Roberts, Owen Nolan, Darcy Tucker etc .
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I am a Canucks fan through and through but there are some guys on this team I don't like and I can sure as hell see why fans of other teams hate the Canucks.
For the record, I'm also a dyed-in-the-wool Nucks fan, but yup, I agree with Blob. Vancouver fans have rose-coloured glasses on if they can't see why people have a hard time with this team.

I'd also add in the easy despise-ability of characters like Torres (psycho) and Bieksa (smugness and - gasp! - unsportmanlike Marleau beater-upper) last season, and it just got worse.

Vancouver fans like to take shots at McLean for his crucifixion of Burrows, but he was really just saying what most people were already thinking. Burrows certainly was - at that time - one of the most hated guys in the NHL. By everyone but us. He's since cleaned up his act, but he can't outrun the rep.

And before this turns into a dogpile, yes, I know Marleau challenged KB3 to the fight.
I know the finger got stuck in Burrows' mouth.
I also know that Auger was in the wrong no matter what sort of player AB is/was.
I know all about everything, but it doesn't change the fact that Vancouver is an easy team for others to hate.

Personally, I don't give a flying unlubed fuck if the fans and the media buy into that. Let them have their feeding frenzy. It's sort of fun to watch anyway, and it's not a role Vancouverites as a whole are used to playing. Interesting times.

Where I care is if the League and the players of other teams buy into it. The former because I think it does actually affect the refereeing of the games, and the latter because I think it could affect how attractive our team is to FA's in the future.

In a perfect world, I'd like to be a mildly hated team - say about #10 of #30. Then we'd have the best of both worlds. ;)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Blob, in the OP I mentioned that a decade ago the Leaves were hated for pretty much the same reasons. At the time I personally figured it was all filtering down from GM/coach Quinn. Don't get me wrong, Quinn was a great coach imo but it seemed to me he didn't do anything to discourage certain.... attitudes.

Doc .... the Leaves could also back up their cheap play and classless antics

see Tahir Domi, Wade Belak, Bryan McCabe, Shane Corson, Gary Roberts, Owen Nolan, Darcy Tucker etc .
I know that Blobby, but you haven't answered my queries ole bean!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Good post vw. I wouldn't doubt NHL officials get a little riled at being shown up.... it's human nature ffs , and there is obviously some animosity towards certain Canucks players for thier past antics.

You pretty much summed up my thoughts exactly.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Blob and Weiner sittin' in a tree....
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Doc if you are pointing the finger at AV for this behaviour you may have a point..... I'm not sure, maybe it's coming from him and/or Gillis... hard to say. Either way i am definitely not a fan of attention whores and embellishers but then again i pay to go to 1 or 2 games a year and haven't had seasons tickets since they were in the family in the 80's. Maybe todays crowd doesn't give a fuck.

How do we correct the situation ? Tell the players to fucking stop the crap and if that doesn't work ship a frenchman or a skinny Albertan out of town to get their attention. I have no idea how it started Doc and for myself i'd like it to fucking stop as soon as it can.

As for the media bias , yes it is prevelant but as I also said the Leaves also had the jam to back up their crap so maybe that leaves them in a little better stead throughout the hockey world.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Lets not forget that our most hated players: Bieksa, Kesler, Burrows, Lappy, Lou....

are players most of these hating fans would love if they played on their teams.

I mean its not like any of these guys are in the Avery category.
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Vw......sort of like a lttle bit pregnant....

Ffs...there are times we hate the canucks.....but that is our inherant right...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dhabums wrote:Blob and Weiner sittin' in a tree....
hee hee I almost posted the same thing about Coco & Pot the other day. :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: As for the media bias , yes it is prevelant but as I also said the Leaves also had the jam to back up their crap so maybe that leaves them in a little better stead throughout the hockey world.
Hmmm so if the Canucks were tougher they wouldn't be as hated??

Interesting Blob, interesting.....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

dhabums wrote:Blob and Weiner sittin' in a tree....
Is that better than weiner sittin in dhabums ? :?