“The Most Hated Team in Hockey” Circle the wagons.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: “The Most Hated Team in Hockey” Circle the wagons.

Post by Potatoe1 »

Mr.Miyagi wrote: It's out there folks. :sly: The Eastern media is really pushing (or trying to) a wedge in our team, fan base, and reputation. It is well documented that we are the least likeable team in the league. The majority of that is coming from the East. Specifically TSN. ;) Yes, I said it, TSN.
This is how I see it as well.

We are hated in Alberta and Hated in Ontario. Throw in the teams we played the last 2 years (Boston, Chitown, LA, etc) and we have like 75% of the Hockey media covered.

It has little if anything to do with not being good at fighting.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

coco_canuck wrote:Worried about being the most hated team in hockey?

Be happy we have a relevant team that occupies the upper stratosphere of the hockey world. The Canucks are hated by non-Vancouver fans as much the Yankees are in baseball by non-New York fans because of the team's impressive roster and success. Nobody hates a loser, no one pays attention to mediocrity, and being marginally successful makes for a short-lived underdog story.

Would you rather be irrelevant, a 5-minute feel good story, or hated for being a contender?

This isn’t Toronto where the glare of the country’s national media hoard constantly sheds a spotlight on the Laffs and over analysis every rare success and every consistently laughable misstep of a satisfyingly mediocre team.

We’re not hated because we’re disproportionately represented on the national stage due to our geographical location.
Yes, we have a beautiful city, yes people hate us for having the mildest climate of any city in the country, but no one would attack us on the national stage and spew their venom if we didn’t establish our footing as one of the premier franchises in the NHL.

Gillis goal was to transform this franchise into the premier NHL destination and a perennial contender, and with it comes the attention, scrutiny and jealousy.

The Red Wings were roundly criticized, and their star players, including the now seemingly immortal Steve Yzerman, were fettered by fans and media for being an underachieving powerhouse with weak leadership and a European approach to a North-American game before they engraved their place in hockey history on the silver chalice.

People forget the level of scrutiny Yzerman and Red Wings went through, especially after being swept in the 1995 Cup Final against New Jersey despite a highly successful regular season and entering the Final as the clear-cut favorite. Yzerman didn’t win his first cup until 1997, when he was 32.

Ultimately the Canucks won’t be respected until they win, and other teams have been where the Canucks currently are before withering away in short time, but this team is positioned to occupy their current high standing for the foreseeable future with a formidable roster and management team completely dedicated to being the absolute best in every way.

So what do we say to all the haters and trolls?

Fuck you, and be ready to pucker up to kiss our asses real soon.
YEAH BUT STILL
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Potatoe1 wrote:
I don't remember myself saying that the Canucks are hated because they are shitty fighters. Maybe someone else said it.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
I don't remember myself saying that the Canucks are hated because they are shitty fighters. Maybe someone else said it.
Yes Potski that's the 2nd time you've said that, to whom are you refering old chap? :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Hey Pot, I am with you . I hate the Bruins but when most fans/media etc and ex NHL players are going to choose sides between a team of dirty assholes who will back it up and a team of dirty turtles who can't I think we both know who most people will choose.

All that shit aside people will tend to side with the guys that can back thier shit up, right or wrong.
I dont see how this post can be referencing anything other then fighting?

And for the record I disagree that the Canucks are "dirty turtles". This team has lots of guys willing to fight, they just aren't very good at it i.e. Lappy, Kesler, Ballard, Rome, Alberts.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I could have worded it a bit differently I guess but as was referenced to above maybe its the bully or bitch thing. People don't tend to hate the testosterone fueled bully as much as the yappy bitch.

Either way my original point is I understand why the Canucks are hated and I don't think it is because they are an amazing hockey team though that may have a little bit to do with it.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Come on herbo..... really ? I think it might have something to do with H Sedin, R Luongo, A Burrows, M Raymond, M Lapierre and R Kesler going down like they've been hit by a 44 slug each and every time they've been touched, complete with a head snap .

Maybe it's the taunting by the French Canadian players that rub some folks the wrong way, or the goalie who has the pouting look of a 12 year old kid and passes the buck quicker than a pervert at a peep show.

Or perhaps it's because we have had guys who pull hair, bite, and cry on tv about how they're being treated by NHL officials. Hey maybe Ryan Kesler's bullshit move in a fight against Andrew Ladd a couple of years ago sours some NHL fans opinions of the Canucks. Trying to slam a guys head into the ice after he dotted you with a clean punch is a classless move in any league.

I am a Canucks fan through and through but there are some guys on this team I don't like and I can sure as hell see why fans of other teams hate the Canucks.
A little late to the party here, but I think this is all part of it. I still think if we weren't a succesful team nobody would care. The fact that we have Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa, Luongo and now Lapierre (last year we had Torres too...man I hated him when he was with Edmonton), who are all hated players around the league is enough. The fact that we are one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the league must make it unbearable for the rest of Canada. It seems like the hate is getting worse, and I love it! :twisted:

I also think Pot makes an interesting point about Alberta and Ontario hating us, plus big market American cities like Chicago and LA. I've never thought of it that way but it makes sense.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Hitchcock comments on the Canucks 'hated status'.

"It's because they win," Hitchcock said of the hated status. "Want to be liked? Start losing and everybody will love you.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Blues ... story.html
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

This whole, "wah wah we're the most disliked team" mindset is a little silly in my opinion.

If anything, it's an honor to be the most disliked team. It's a badge of honor.

There is a reason why teams like the.....

-NY Yankees
-LA Lakers / Miami Heat
-New England Patriots / Dallas Cowboys

etc. etc., are all strongly disliked.

p.s.__________By the way - given the fact that we receive a LOT of fan support in many opposing teams' buildings, I even wonder if we're actually that disliked. We don't trap, we play an entertaining brand of hockey, our defensemen regularly join in on the rush, and we have two of the most brilliant playmakers of all-time. Oh yeah - and our power play is wicked.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Those teams you mentioned have all won championships though Farhan.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Bah, this level of hatred doesn't come from winning alone!

Were even the recent dynasty teams ever hated like this?

Canadiens of the late 70's?

Islanders of the early 80's?

Oilers of the late 80's?

How about the Wings as they won 4 Cups in 11 years of late?

No, they were not!

And hey your Vancouver Canucks have not won a single Cup yet!

As pointed out in the OP the only other teams to be labled “The Most Hated Team in Hockey” were the Big Bad Bruins & the Broad Street Bullies during the 70's, and the Leaves in the early 00's.

Those teams were hated more for leaving other teams battered, bruised & bloodied than beaten methinks.

(yes I know the Bruins & Flyers won a coupla Cups each)

Nay, this Canuck-hatred does not stem from winning alone!

And it certainly does not stem from 'rough stuff' as per those other "Hated" teams.

Nope, I'm thinkin it's gotta be some weird combination of pussiness, Ontario/Alberta media-created bias/jealousy,

.... and a collection of a few of the finest trash-talkers in NHL history.

That's what I'm thinkin. 8-)

Winning is just the salt in the wound...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Nope, I'm thinkin it's gotta be some weird combination of pussiness, Ontario/Alberta media-created bias/jealousy,

difference is some of our trash talkers used to talk through the media, instead of leaving it on the ice.

now that we have (mostly) stopped trashin through the media, the 'most hated' label will slowly fade... we'll be #2 or #3 again before you know it!

We built up the 'most hated' label over time. Its not a new thing, so I am not sure why people are surprised. Media has always hated us, and every single negative incident has always been blown out of proportion, increasing that level of dislike. It started WAY before Bertuzzi, and will continue way beyond last years riot. People better get used to it. we will always be one of the most hated teams in all of sports.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Madcombinepilot wrote:

difference is some of our trash talkers used to talk through the media, instead of leaving it on the ice.
And i thought he's talking about the members of this board. :lol:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!

It's not all bad at all. :)
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote:Bah, this level of hatred doesn't come from winning alone!

Were even the recent dynasty teams ever hated like this?

Canadiens of the late 70's?
I'm too young to say, but ask a leaves fan of that vintage.
Islanders of the early 80's?
Yes. Ask a Rangers fan who still screams Potvin Sucks in MSG, 30 years later.
Oilers of the late 80's?
Definitely hated. Not only did they run up the score, they had the filthiest players in the league to add injury to insult. Remember Messier on Gradin? The Canucks weren't even if the same class, and they still played wih an intent to injure. And of course, everyone hated Gretzky when he wasn't wearing the maple leaf for his diving, whining, embellishment, etc.
How about the Wings as they won 4 Cups in 11 years of late?
I put a lot of stock in HW's anecdote from earlier from Ken Holland. Yes they absolutely were hated when they won back-to-back championships.

The problem with the "most-hated" label is: really good team => more exposure + longer postseason => all questionable play is highlighted through repetition.

Frankly, I'm more in line with Elliote Friedman's take - there is no conspiracy against the Canucks, but good lord are Canucks fans ever sensitive. I think a lot of that has to do with Dave Pratt being on the radio for so long, he perceived everything as a slight from Toronto. leaves playing at 4 on the road in Vancouver so that our team and theirs would get better ratings became a dickslap to the face of every Vancouverite.