“The Most Hated Team in Hockey” Circle the wagons.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: “The Most Hated Team in Hockey” Circle the wagons.

Post by Topper »

Cornuck wrote:What I don't understand is, why are there so many Canuck jerseys at our road games?
Bingo
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

And Its everywhere not just snowbird country....it cool to hate the best and the best place on earth..simple envy...no worries it makes for good copy Is all.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..I just don't get why anyone cares.

Canucks are this, that and the other thing...blah, blah, add rhetoric (ad nauseum).

Canucks fans are (insert moronic comment here)...

Ya-fucking-wn...
DeLevering since 1999.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Cornuck wrote:What I don't understand is, why are there so many Canuck jerseys at our road games?
Because its easy to jump on the bandwagon of a winner.

And the bandwagoners take ownership of the Canucks as their team (as long as they're winning) and start chirping the fans of the other teams and around and around we go.

Sorta like how everyone hates the LA Lakers. After Shaq left, nobody on that team is particularly likable but Kobe still won championships.

Fuck, I pray to whatever hockey god out there that the Canucks DO win the Stanley Cup. It wouldn't solve all my problems but it sure would help.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

rats19 wrote:And Its everywhere not just snowbird country....it cool to hate the best and the best place on earth..simple envy...no worries it makes for good copy Is all.
Exactly.
Spent 7 months in Toronto in the 70s It was hell.Had to sell my guitar and my ghetto-blaster to get a plane ticket out of there. Landed in Van with $5 to my name. One of the happiest days of my life.

B.C. is heaven on earth and we have the best team in hockey, fuck-em-all.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

mathonwy wrote:
Because its easy to jump on the bandwagon of a winner.
Yeah - I get that. But I thought that we're 'hated'. If we start sucking like we have in the past, then we won't be seeing many jerseys. I think that we gained a ton of fans (bandwagonners?) in the WCE era - and we've only gotten better.

Personally, I don't buy any of this 'most hated' bullshit. Like others have said, it's a media theme, and the people that buy into mass media will believe anything that they're told.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Cornuck wrote:Personally, I don't buy any of this 'most hated' bullshit. Like others have said, it's a media theme, and the people that buy into mass media will believe anything that they're told.
Bingo again buddy.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Cornuck wrote: Personally, I don't buy any of this 'most hated' bullshit. Like others have said, it's a media theme, and the people that buy into mass media will believe anything that they're told.
Right now, it doesn't matter what the Canucks do or don't do.

The "Most Hated Team in Hockey" PR campaign has taken a life of its own and the only way to stop it is for the Nucks to become irrelevant again. When the Nucks start sucking it like Calgary does, nobody will give a damn about whether they hate the Canucks except for the traditional hockey rivals.

But right now, it's full hate ahead and it's actually really good for everyone because it hits home at so many levels. It makes me want to defend our players and it makes me want to defend our city. Two pretty powerful emotions to feel. I would hazard a guess that you get a lot of those types of feelings with ex-BC'ers. What's also kind of cool is since sports is pretty much the most real reality show on TV, this "most hated" mentality is also borderline reality.

And the media have absolutely glommed on it because like I said above, this hasn't happened before at this type of level in the NHL for a long time. I don't blame the media either because this type of exposure is the best type.

To be hated because you're the best. Fucking ... enjoy it and embrace it because it doesn't happen very often.

An interesting point I just remembered... I think Ron Maclean is picking to be on Vancouver's side. Last time the Canucks were a topic on CBC, I recall him working pretty hard to defend them (I can't remember the topic).
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Hey mat, i agree of most of it but what really disturbs me is that the hate thing is exploited way to much by mass media.
Hate is a kind of nature between rivals and i don't want to get that "ridiculously" overblown.
I guess the mass media is the real problem, not only for hockey...

ps: and also the thing about "whining, yapping or diving" causing this artificial hate too, there's not much difference between the Canucks or any other team, just saying because some people on the GDT cruzifying their own team for this.
Last edited by Cookie La Rue on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

The team over the past decade also played an exciting brand of hockey, wide open with scoring and D jumping into the rush. Except for a brief period of time where AV played the trap Canucks do play it fun.

So would you rather watch the crap coming out of NJ and the team earlier this year where no one was past the redline???
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Cookie La Rue wrote:Hey mat, i agree of most of it but what really disturbs me is that the hate thing is exploited way to much by mass media.
Hate is a kind of nature between rivals and i don't want to get that "ridiculously" overblown.
I guess the mass media is the real problem, not only for hockey...
Absolutely man. Mass media is the biggest driver in today's society when it comes to shaping the opinions of humans.

This hate thing is like a new toy for the media to use. As a blogger or a writer, it's gold and you'd be a fool not to use it.

Don't like all the hate now? Wait till we win the cup. :devil:
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Cookie La Rue wrote: ...just saying because some people on the GDT cruzifying their own team for this.

Cruzifying (sic) may be overstating what is happening (unless your name is Royaldude of course).

What is being said is that guys like Hank and Kes (our leaders and core of the team) should concentrate on playing hockey (their strengths) in lieu of the theatrics.

Fair statement one would think?
DeLevering since 1999.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

donlever wrote:What is being said is that guys like Hank and Kes (our leaders and core of the team) should concentrate on playing hockey (their strengths) in lieu of the theatrics.

You're right but it's also a fair statement that the theatrics (sic) wasn't really overblown, they played not like they want and therefor they showed some little kind of frustration and doing this stuff which imo wasn't as ugly as somebodies want to make seem it was. Hey but just my opinion.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

The comment about mass media is right on the money. Journalists are functionally trolls that have evovled and spread to all forms of media. Create controvery=create reaction=create readership=get paid.

We have a passionate fan base so its like poking the sensitive kid at school. You'll know you'll get a reaction. Everyone else watching laughs cause they are to cool kids when deep down they are secretly glad they aren't the ones being targeted.

Tonight we play our game and hockey gods willing tie the series.

Gonna be good.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

donlever wrote:
Cookie La Rue wrote: ...just saying because some people on the GDT cruzifying their own team for this.

Cruzifying (sic) may be overstating what is happening (unless your name is Royaldude of course).

What is being said is that guys like Hank and Kes (our leaders and core of the team) should concentrate on playing hockey (their strengths) in lieu of the theatrics.

Time and place for everything I think you are saying and its time for some real spade work, burst a few blisters and work on the callouses rather than the calls. :P