“The Most Hated Team in Hockey” Circle the wagons.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: “The Most Hated Team in Hockey” Circle the wagons.

Post by Topper »

From the Toronto Sun

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/10/ev ... he-canucks
Drew Doughty, wasn't as conservative with his critique, showing no hesitation in throwing the Canucks under the bus.

"Almost every single team will say that they are (the most hated)," the Kings defenceman said. "They have those guys who do things that tick you off on the ice to get under your skin, and some of them are good at it. If they're losing, you can blow them off. But because they're good, it definitely makes it more annoying."

Adam Burish agreed, even if he, too, was ultimately paying Vancouver a compliment.

"They're at the top, so you're going to hate them naturally," the Dallas Stars winger and former Blackhawks agitator said. "Most guys will say, 'I can't stand them.' There wasn't one bit of sadness when I saw them crying after they lost the Stanley Cup last year. I hate those guys, but I can give them a little bit of respect because they're doing something right."
"Maybe sometimes for us, it gets a little bit overboard," Sedin said, not naming names. "We're beating teams easily sometimes and we're still chirping at some guys.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote:From the Toronto Sun

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/10/ev ... he-canucks
Drew Doughty, wasn't as conservative with his critique, showing no hesitation in throwing the Canucks under the bus.

"Almost every single team will say that they are (the most hated)," the Kings defenceman said. "They have those guys who do things that tick you off on the ice to get under your skin, and some of them are good at it. If they're losing, you can blow them off. But because they're good, it definitely makes it more annoying."

Adam Burish agreed, even if he, too, was ultimately paying Vancouver a compliment.

"They're at the top, so you're going to hate them naturally," the Dallas Stars winger and former Blackhawks agitator said. "Most guys will say, 'I can't stand them.' There wasn't one bit of sadness when I saw them crying after they lost the Stanley Cup last year. I hate those guys, but I can give them a little bit of respect because they're doing something right."
"Maybe sometimes for us, it gets a little bit overboard," Sedin said, not naming names. "We're beating teams easily sometimes and we're still chirping at some guys.
penis envy, our dicks are better than theirs
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Speaking of Doughty....

“@mayorNHL: #LAKings Doughty on #Canucks Burrows - 'Last few yrs he's made me take dumb penalties. That's what he's out there to do, get me off the ice'”

Hmmm Edler too:

____
Try to focus on someday.
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Post by Brick Tamland »

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hock ... story.html

This article is along the same lines.

"The Eastern Conference arguably has those three in the elite corner. Out West? That number gets doubled, and then some....There’s not much separating Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, revamped Nashville, San Jose and the much-improved L.A. Kings. (Sorry for the exclusion Phoenix, but, really?)"

Um....I think Vancouver is still in the West, no?

Too funny.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:Speaking of Doughty....

“@mayorNHL: #LAKings Doughty on #Canucks Burrows - 'Last few yrs he's made me take dumb penalties. That's what he's out there to do, get me off the ice'”

Hmmm Edler too:

Doughty.........smart like hammer
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Here is the daily offerring of hate. This one finds its basis from TSN - SportsNet the article is found at NHL.com.
My response to Damien Coxx (deliberately spelled wrong) is simple. Watch the frackin replay moron; you'll see the double spear to the throat. If you don't believe it hurts a demonstration can be arranged.

Willes: Canadians already have playoff hate on for Canucks
By Ed Willes, Postmedia NewsApril 12, 2012Be the first to post a comment
StoryPhotos ( 1 )

More hockey coverage at Faceoff.comVANCOUVER — Early in the first period of Wednesday’s Stanley Cup playoff game, Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo was jostled in a scrum, fell back into his net and seemed to say something to the officials.

It was an unremarkable scene, the kind you see 100 times over the course of a playoff contest and, to the untrained eye, deserved no further commentary. But, in the Twitterverse, one professional observer took it all in and, speaking on behalf of the entire country, immediately passed judgment on Luongo and the Canucks.

“And now Luongo joins the early playoff fakery,” tweeted Sportsnet’s Damien Cox. “Same ol’ Canucks. Divers and fakers. Why rest of country hates ’em.”

This, we remind you, was about eight minutes into the first period of Game 1 and, already, the rest of the country hated the Canucks. Last year, it took a run to the Cup final before Canada pronounced its hatred for this franchise but, clearly, the dominion isn’t going to waste any time this year.

The country has spoken. We are pariahs.

This is our burden.

“What’s frustrating to us is when the national media and people outside the city parachute in and form these opinions,” backup goalie Cory Schneider said in a quiet corner of the Canucks’ room on Thursday while weightier matters were being explored elsewhere.

“They take things for facts that aren’t really facts. If you talk to us and spend any time with us, you understand we’re good guys. Dan Hamhuis, the twins, Manny (Malholtra), Sami Salo. They play the game the right way and do great things in the community.”
Maybe. But that Salo has always seemed kind of shifty to me.

[/Today, we should be focusing on any number of issues which arose out of the Kings’ 4-2 Game-1 win. The Canucks, for example, can’t let Mike Richards be the best player on the ice by a country mile. They have to find their power play. They have to get back to the structurally sound, puck-possession team game that led them to the NHL’s best record this season.

But, as much as we’d like to enlighten you about these subjects and ignore the commentary which is building around the Canucks, it’s hard when the irrational clamour threatens to drown out what passes for reasonable discourse.

Colleague Cox, who has a national profile, made his views known. Shortly after the final horn on Wednesday, some ace from the Kings’ PR department tweeted out: “To everyone in Canada outside of BC, you’re welcome.” A couple of days ago the headline in the Toronto Star read: “Vancouver Canucks could be NHL’s most despised team.” On Tuesday it was, “Everyone loves to hate the Canucks,” on the Sun media website.

It’s all over twitter. It’s the talk of talk radio. We did a Google search of “hate Vancouver Canucks,” on Thursday and got 589,000 results.

I mean you almost expected to pick up the Globe and Mail and read a 64-point header: “Barney the Dinosaur says: ‘I hate the Canucks, too.’ ”

Never mind that Angus Reid published a survey on Thursday in which the Canucks were tied for third (with Ottawa, don’t get us started on Ottawa), behind Toronto and Montreal as the NHL’s most hated Canadian-based franchise.

The idea that the Canucks are the NHL’s most hated team has been repeated so many times it’s now accepted as fact.

But why?

We will give you the organization, which sees a sniper behind every grassy knoll, doesn’t help itself. And the Canucks have players — Ryan Kesler, Max Lapierre, Alex Burrows — who’ve earned reputations as divers and chirpers (Note to Kesler: Stop with the theatrics. You’re too good a player and the refs don’t buy it, anyways).

But, geez Louis, every team has at least one diver/chirper/pain-in-the-rear type in its lineup. The difference is not every team wins and, whatever else they are, the Canucks are two-time Presidents’ Trophy winners.

“You look around the league and people don’t like us and Pittsburgh and we’re two of the better teams,” said Schneider. “You saw Darcy Hordichuk and Ben Eager in Edmonton. Nobody cares about Edmonton so nobody hates them. It’s that simple.”

Except it isn’t. We have neither the time nor the space to explore the many arms and legs to this story but if the Canucks make another run to the final, you can bet we’ll be back here again.

In the meantime, if they want to change the way they’re perceived, the Canucks took a step in that direction on Wednesday night. The problem there is losing doesn’t go over as well in this market.

Vancouver Province
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Love me or hate me, it's still an obsession.

Love me or hate me, that is the question.

If you love me then thank you!

If you hate me then fuck you!
DeLevering since 1999.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Yeah.. the hate rhetoric is already in full force.

The current NHL culture is such that it's "cool" to hate the Canucks.

When was the last time a NHL team evoked such negative feelings in the opposing teams? I can't remember.

Colorado was very good for a little bit but they were never hated (except by the Wings). Sakic, Forsberg, Bourque, etc..

Wings have been good for a long time but everyone respects Yzerman, Lidstrom, Federov, Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Devils were very good for a bit and nobody really cares about the Devils in Canada.

Coilers dominated the 80s and they were Canada's team because of Gretzky.

Pens .. Lemieux, Crosby, Jagr, Stevens, Coffey, Malkin, Staal.... certain markets hate the Pens but it's definitely not even close to the amount of hate the Nucks get.

Maybe the Flyers in their Broad Street Bully days? I will have to differ to the old guys on the board as I can't remember back then.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Anaheim was pretty well hated. The Bruins are pretty well hated.
The only HW the Canucks need
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

An interesting article from McLeans:

http://www2.macleans.ca/tag/nhl/

Highlights (full team breakdowns by Province in the link above):

Most hated team:
1. Toronto - 19%
2. Montreal - 15%
3. Vancouver - 4%

If you had to pick one team who would you root for in the Playoffs:
1. Vancouver - 35%
2. Ottawa - 20%
3. Boston - 11%

Vancouver rated the Cleanest (26%), Most exciting (36%) and strongest (47%) of all Canadian Teams

Toronto rated the most Arrogant (39%), Dirty (25%), Disrespected (41%), Boring (38%), In Decline (43%), Weak (48%) and Overrated (38%)
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I still strongly believe that the 24/7 media is a big part of this. Nothing to write about on many days so take something like this and run with it. Look at Damion Cox, a no nothing reporter who does his job and jumps on the "hate the Nucks" bandwagon.

This gets fans like CalPuke all excited because it is something that they can also jump on and use to back them when they post shit about the Canucks. i really don't care anymore what other teams/cities thinks about Vancouver or the Canucks. Nothing will change their minds on how they think/act.

I do agree and I think we all do, Kesler needs to quit diving, Burrows needs to behave amd Luongo needs to keep doing what he is doing now.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

mathonwy wrote:Yeah.. the hate rhetoric is already in full force.

The current NHL culture is such that it's "cool" to hate the Canucks.

When was the last time a NHL team evoked such negative feelings in the opposing teams? I can't remember.

Colorado was very good for a little bit but they were never hated (except by the Wings). Sakic, Forsberg, Bourque, etc..

Wings have been good for a long time but everyone respects Yzerman, Lidstrom, Federov, Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Devils were very good for a bit and nobody really cares about the Devils in Canada.

Coilers dominated the 80s and they were Canada's team because of Gretzky.

Pens .. Lemieux, Crosby, Jagr, Stevens, Coffey, Malkin, Staal.... certain markets hate the Pens but it's definitely not even close to the amount of hate the Nucks get.

Maybe the Flyers in their Broad Street Bully days? I will have to differ to the old guys on the board as I can't remember back then.
I don't think Weber respects Zetterberg

The Flyers back then were absolutely detested. My buddies and I were cheering for the Ruskies when they left the ice that game. Clarke was public enemy no. 1. Turns out he was just as nasty as a GM
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I cheered for the Broad Street Bullies. I also cheered for the Islanders in '83 and '84.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote:I cheered for the Broad Street Bullies. I also cheered for the Islanders in '83 and '84.
me too which is why I don't really blame albortians for hating the Canucks...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

What I don't understand is, why are there so many Canuck jerseys at our road games?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."