The Shoot out

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

The Shoot out

Postby trouble » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:52 am

When is AV going to take the shoot out more serious, You could tell that Loungo hasn't been practicing it, He look like a fish flopping around of the ice on the two pens goals

He picks Burrows who had a pretty good game but with no finish

Then he picks Sammy, who had a shit game and once again looks about two strides behind everyone else on the ice

And if we had gotten to the third shooter it would have been Hodgson, Who was pretty much invisible the whole game except for a few plays.

Wasn't it last year we found out 2 or 3 months into the season that AV was not practicing the shootout?

How many more points would the Canucks have if they took it more seriously?
trouble

Re: The Shoot out

Postby dhabums » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:10 am

Until the shootout matters in the playoffs, I don't particularly care. While we can hope that practicing the shootout with Burrows and Sammy will prepare our goalies, it really won't. Luongo's game really isn't suited for the SO, so until he stops biting on fakes it won't matter.

He was better than Ryan Miller and Tim Thomas, if that matters.

----
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby rats19 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:38 am

4 or 5.......maybe ,points that is.
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Topper » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:05 am

trouble wrote:Wasn't it last year we found out 2 or 3 months into the season that AV was not practicing the shootout?

and shortly there after the rumour was shown to be false.

So tell me, what would have been your shootout line up vs the Pens?

I didn't catch who AV had in the three spot, but Burrows, Sammy and Daniel would have been my choices.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Cornuck » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:42 am

While I agree that we have sucked at shootouts for a few years, we did win the Presidents Trophy last year. I think if we were in the "fighting for 8th spot" crowd, those points would mean more.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Potatoe1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:51 am

AV does practice the shoot out, but it isn't something that works very well when your goalies know the tendency of your own shooters.

Hodgson was apparently in the 3 spot, which is probably the right pick.

That said AV should have started using Daniel in that role years ago and asked him to work on a couple of different break away moves.

The only reason a guy with Daniels shot any puck skills is not good in shoot outs is because he simply hasn't put the work in.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby rats19 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:55 am

Cornuck wrote:While I agree that we have sucked at shootouts for a few years, we did win the Presidents Trophy last year. I think if we were in the "fighting for 8th spot" crowd, those points would mean more.

Absolutely they would...If....
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Spock » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:02 am

Luongo is not a great reaction goaltender - his shootout save % is not particularaly good.
Can't expect to win them on his shoulders.

Canucks shooters historically have not been all that impressive either in the shootout.

I expect the Canucks to lose more than they win again in OT this season.

*shrugs*

Hey, we still get a point.
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one."

Spock of Vulcan
Stardate 2476.8
Spock
CC Rookie

Postby dbr » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:59 am

Honestly at this point, even if it was true that AV didn't make time for his players to practice the shootout I'd have a hard time caring.

On Saturday I watched the hockey game with great interest.. when they stopped playing hockey I turned the tv off and went about my evening. I had to check on Sunday to find out whether we got one point or two, but otherwise I didn't miss anything.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hank » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:13 pm

Luongo seems to do okay in breakaways during a game, but for some reason is just not good in shootouts for a goalie of his caliber. Maybe too much time to think or his alluded to mental weaknesses. It's amazing how bad him and the Sedins are in shootouts.

It doesn't matter if we had the "great" Kyle Wellwood, Trevor, Jussi Jokinen, Letang and Taves from WJC if Lui can't stop a single shooter.
Hank
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby jackalman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:18 pm

dbr wrote:
On Saturday I watched the hockey game with great interest.. when they stopped playing hockey I turned the tv off and went about my evening. I had to check on Sunday to find out whether we got one point or two, but otherwise I didn't miss anything.

You must have watched with great interest indeed...as the outcome had been determined 48 hours earlier. :drink:
jackalman
CC Veteran

Postby dbr » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:03 pm

jackalman wrote:You must have watched with great interest indeed...as the outcome had been determined 48 hours earlier. :drink:

D'oh. It's all a blur these days, although not for that reason exactly.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dhabums » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:22 pm

Hank wrote:Luongo seems to do okay in breakaways during a game, but for some reason is just not good in shootouts for a goalie of his caliber.

A breakaway is a completely different animal.

Not that I recall him being very good on those either.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby trouble » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:00 pm

Topper wrote:
trouble wrote:Wasn't it last year we found out 2 or 3 months into the season that AV was not practicing the shootout?

and shortly there after the rumour was shown to be false.

So tell me, what would have been your shootout line up vs the Pens?

I didn't catch who AV had in the three spot, but Burrows, Sammy and Daniel would have been my choices.

First player i would go with is Sami Salo let him skate in and blast one from around 5 to 10 feet from the goal, That would scare the fack out of the goalie for the next rounds, Then Edler do the same thing

Then if the team did practice the shootout i would go with the Sedins, Daniel was 4 for 4 in the target shooting at the NHL skills competition, He can pick the corners

If the Canucks have a Stanley cup hang over season they may need those points , or may need those points to rest their good player in the last few games for the playoffs
trouble

Postby Topper » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:46 pm

trouble wrote:First player i would go with is Sami Salo let him skate in and blast one from around 5 to 10 feet from the goal, That would scare the fack out of the goalie for the next rounds, Then Edler do the same thing

Luongo an Schneider say thanks for that.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Next

Return to Canucks Corner Chat