OOTS

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1614
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: OOTS

Post by Potatoe1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Flames are very soft.

Watch a few of their games, they are one of the least physical teams in the conference now.

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: OOTS

Post by Fred » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:16 am

Hey ask Albert's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX1azbckCh4

You have to give it to Albert's though he new who he was taking on and stood in there, really better than I expected, Jackman is one tough dude
cheers

User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: OOTS

Post by tantalum » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:44 am

Jackman doesn't make the Flames tough and physical. He's one player. If for whatever reason the canucks manage to play the Flames first round (still not convinced the Flames will make the playoffs...they have done this the past 3 years around this time of year only to fade down the stretch. Hard to play "must win" hockey for 40 games), the canucks will be running into the least physical blueline they've played against in the last few seasons. Bouwmeester and Butler are not going to rough up the Sedin line down low or in front of the net. if they do they will not be playing to their strengths as players.

To me the second and third period of Saturdays night game would be indicative of a series between the two teams (canucks were dominating even if not clicking on all cylinders). The Flames would need to make some major improvements to be competitive in the series IMO.

User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend
Posts: 4654
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: OOTS

Post by Uncle dans leg » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:58 am

The flames don't compare with the Canucks whatsoever and I don't think they would argue this, however, they do play a gritty, positionally sound game that's frustrating to play against. They wont win but they would hang in games and even steal the odd one here or there as we have now witnessed the past 2 meetings.
Jackman is one of 3 or 4 4th line tough guys in the NHL who can play regular minutes. I would absolutely love to pry him out of Calgary for our playoff run.
nobody forks...with the jesus

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1614
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: OOTS

Post by Potatoe1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:14 am

Fred wrote:Hey ask Albert's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX1azbckCh4

You have to give it to Albert's though he new who he was taking on and stood in there, really better than I expected, Jackman is one tough dude
I know that it's hard for you to grasp Fred, but having a 4th liner that can fight, does little to make a team more physical.

The Flames who play the bulk of the game would be the least physical group in the playoffs (should they make it).

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 10506
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: OOTS

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:46 am

Uncle dans leg wrote: Jackman is one of 3 or 4 4th line tough guys in the NHL who can play regular minutes. I would absolutely love to pry him out of Calgary for our playoff run.
Me too but I don't think Fattycakes will be moving him as long as the Flames are in the hunt for the 8th spot.

Paul Gaustad or Derek Dorsett may come cheaper than Travis Moen.
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: OOTS

Post by Fred » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:35 pm

Potatoe1 wrote:
Fred wrote:Hey ask Albert's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX1azbckCh4

You have to give it to Albert's though he new who he was taking on and stood in there, really better than I expected, Jackman is one tough dude
I know that it's hard for you to grasp Fred, but having a 4th liner that can fight, does little to make a team more physical.

The Flames who play the bulk of the game would be the least physical group in the playoffs (should they make it).

Not hard for me to grasp at all. You would like a tough guy 6'4"/230 that , skates like the wind and scores goals by the bushel & intimidates the other teams defense with a very hard heavy fore check and here's the catch you want him to be able to fit into a Cap that currently according to CapGeek of $780K.

Well here's the news flash that animal does exist. Some thing you don't seem to grasp. :D
cheers

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1614
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: OOTS

Post by Potatoe1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:03 pm

Fred wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
Fred wrote:Hey ask Albert's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX1azbckCh4

You have to give it to Albert's though he new who he was taking on and stood in there, really better than I expected, Jackman is one tough dude
I know that it's hard for you to grasp Fred, but having a 4th liner that can fight, does little to make a team more physical.

The Flames who play the bulk of the game would be the least physical group in the playoffs (should they make it).

Not hard for me to grasp at all. You would like a tough guy 6'4"/230 that , skates like the wind and scores goals by the bushel & intimidates the other teams defense with a very hard heavy fore check and here's the catch you want him to be able to fit into a Cap that currently according to CapGeek of $780K.

Well here's the news flash that animal does exist. Some thing you don't seem to grasp. :D

I like Jackman....

But again...... one tough 4th liner does not make a team physical.

Almost every team can throw out a physical 4th line, what makes the difference is physical players in prominent roles.

The Flames are a very soft team, with or with out Jackman.

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: OOTS

Post by Fred » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:58 pm

I tell you what, Bitz aand Duco had the Phx defense looking tonight :D
cheers

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Lower left-hand corner

Re: OOTS

Post by BladesofSteel » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:59 pm

Fred wrote:I tell you what, Bitz aand Duco had the Phx defense looking tonight :D
Yeah, Bitz totally made Yandle look good on the game tying goal. :roll:

User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: OOTS

Post by Jovocop » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:08 pm

BladesofSteel wrote:
Fred wrote:I tell you what, Bitz aand Duco had the Phx defense looking tonight :D
Yeah, Bitz totally made Yandle look good on the game tying goal. :roll:
I don't know man, all six players on ice were bad. Bitz was the goat, no doubt about that. However, I am not sure whether Malhotra or Edler made a pass to the middle of the ice instead of chipping it out causing the tying goal. Salo was screening Luongo. Luongo did not react fast enough...

User avatar
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: OOTS

Post by dhabums » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:53 pm

Fred wrote:I tell you what, Bitz aand Duco had the Phx defense looking tonight :D
Ekman Larsson looked great on the penalty he took.

User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: OOTS

Post by tantalum » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:26 am

Jovocop wrote: I don't know man, all six players on ice were bad. Bitz was the goat, no doubt about that. However, I am not sure whether Malhotra or Edler made a pass to the middle of the ice instead of chipping it out causing the tying goal. Salo was screening Luongo. Luongo did not react fast enough...
Bitz only looked like the goat. The goat was actually Edler who first of all went up the middle late in a tight game instead of making the safe play and second for giving Bitz a hard pass in his skates (or at least between his skates and stick). It wasn't an easy play to make for Bitz and even more difficult when you take into account his height and stick length. It was akin to a suicide pass in the neutral zone.

User avatar
herb
CC Legend
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: OOTS

Post by herb » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:19 am

The goat was definitely Edler on that play. Make the safe play up the boards god damnit! :mad:

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1663
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: OOTS

Post by ESQ » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:22 am

Potatoe1 wrote: I like Jackman....

But again...... one tough 4th liner does not make a team physical.
The last few games have really showcased how tough the Canucks are. They're knocking players out long-term with hard, clean checks.

Of course the Canucks were the most physical team in the playoffs until injuries piled up...

Post Reply