OOTS

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: OOTS

Post by rats19 »

Per wrote:
damonberryman wrote:
Per wrote:Either way, I've seen enough corn to last me a life time. :roll:
You're not kidding about the corn, especally now with the large ethonol plants they have there :D man you drive mile after mile or corn
No joke. I go there about once a year for her family and the whole State is farmed. I have not seen any country there that could be called wild. None. There is one place outside the John Deere factory in Waterloo where they have about 5 or 10 acres fenced off and the sign says it is 'original prarie'. I got to take their word for it but having grown up in BC
and worked all over the province it is shocking to see that level of settlement. Best thing about the place, besides my wife, is blond haired women and good manners as well as pork tenderloin sandwiches done crisp.
Sweden may not have quite the same wilderness factor as BC, but we do market northern Sweden as the Last Wilderness of Europe. We've seen lynx, foxes, deer, eagle owls, badgers, etc within 100 metres of our house, and a girl in our neighbour hood ran into a bear when jogging in the woods behind the soccer field last summer. About 80% of Sweden is covered by forest, there is a mountain range, plenty of coast line, dozens of rivers and thousands of lakes. So I come to Iowa, and there is none of that. None. No forest. No coast. No mountains. No wilderness. :wow:

Well, there are racoons, I guess, and skunks, but I never saw a live one. Only flattened ones at the side of the road. I almost got agoraphobic. I'd look around, and there'd just be fields, stretching all the way to the horizon. Mainly corn, occassionally soy beans and the odd hog farm. But still. It was freaking me out. If there are no buildings blocking the view, I'm used to seeing either mountains, forest or water at the horizon. No such thing in Iowa. Completely totally weird.

Freaked me out.

Bet Iowans must get freaked out if they go some place like Scandinavia or BC.
cant see a god damned thing because of those trees...:)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

It's amazing how a year can change someone's perspective. Last year at this time Hawk fans were sure Crawford was their goaltender for years. A guy as good as anyone in the league. Now the goaltending is costing the team point after point and if they could they'd be driving Crawford to the airport.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

tantalum wrote:It's amazing how a year can change someone's perspective. Last year at this time Hawk fans were sure Crawford was their goaltender for years. A guy as good as anyone in the league. Now the goaltending is costing the team point after point and if they could they'd be driving Crawford to the airport.

If you listen to the in-breds over at Calpuke this is all a ploy by Chicago to position themselves to play the Canucks in the first round.What a bunch of morons.

The way Chicago is playing right now they could be joining the Flames for an early tee time in April
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Per wrote:Freaked me out.

Bet Iowans must get freaked out if they go some place like Scandinavia or BC.
Haha. I did my undergrad in Iowa. The lack of mountains and water freaked me out.

+40'C in the summer, -40'C in the winter, but man, during spring sitting outside drinking a beer you can literally see the corn/grass/whatever growing.

Don't miss the place, except for the cheap cigarettes ($2 a pack of American Spirits) or the cheep beer ($9.99 got you a case [24 brown bottles] of Leinenkugels). Good times. (But the marijuana was crap or super duper expensive, though.)
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

tantalum wrote:It's amazing how a year can change someone's perspective. Last year at this time Hawk fans were sure Crawford was their goaltender for years. A guy as good as anyone in the league. Now the goaltending is costing the team point after point and if they could they'd be driving Crawford to the airport.
As poor as Crawford has been lately, the defense on that team is very thin after the big two. As a result, Keith and Seabrook have been broken up at times to spread the wealth and the two aren't nearly as affective as when they're paired up, particularly Seabrook. Both are over-worked and wearing down. For all the guff that Campbell got when he was there (mainly due to his salary) he was a fixture on the top four and on the PP in support of Keith. He's a minute muncher.

Of all the 'contenders' in the West, Chicago needs help on D more than anyone.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Oh certainly the blueline is not good. They moved a 23 minute and didn't re-sign a 19 minute D-man and replaced them with poorer players. Campbell had a big contract but he was a big part of the team. Campoli was essentially run out of town because of the mistake he made. It was a big mistake but he did fit the team.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I take immense satisfaction watching the wheels fall off of that franchise.
I know they're not off completely yet but they really are an arrogant group that desperately needed the chip knocked off of their collective shoulders.
If you need air...call it in
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

tantalum wrote:Oh certainly the blueline is not good. They moved a 23 minute and didn't re-sign a 19 minute D-man and replaced them with poorer players. Campbell had a big contract but he was a big part of the team.

But they added TOUGHNESS!!!!

The Hawks bought into the "Bruin Hype" over the summer and figured by moving out some skill they would be able to play against Vancouver.

Unfortunately what they failed to understand was that their best asset against us was their speed and transition game.

They were nuts to move Campbell, he was fantastic against us in the playoffs last year and probably the main reason the Hawks didn't fold when Seabrook went down.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Chi down 2-0 early with Emery in net. :)
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Just checked the standings and noticed a few things...

IF Calgary had managed to beat Phoenix (in regulation) they would now be in 8th spot.

Chicago is currently only 5 points up on the 9th place Calgary Flames. Losers of 8 straight, are the wheels coming of in Chi-town? I would think not as they do have a pretty good group over there, a bit thin below the top 4 forwards and top 2 defensemen, but I think they certainly have the tools needed to keep "the wheels on

Two scenarios would be absolutely delicious.....

1. They miss the playoffs entirely.

2. They make it in for a first round matchup with Vancouver and are swept by the Canucks in 4.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Mëds wrote: Chicago is currently only 5 points up on the 9th place Calgary Flames. Losers of 8 straight, are the wheels coming of in Chi-town? I would think not as they do have a pretty good group over there, a bit thin below the top 4 forwards and top 2 defensemen, but I think they certainly have the tools needed to keep "the wheels on

Words can not describe how annoyed I would be if we had to play the Hawks in the first round AGAIN!!

Calgary on the other hand would be an almost ideal match up.

Not only would we bitch slap them quickly, but the Flames are a soft team that's only a quick flight away.

A perfect draw like Calgary would make a huge difference on a cup run this season.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Mëds wrote: Chicago is currently only 5 points up on the 9th place Calgary Flames. Losers of 8 straight, are the wheels coming of in Chi-town? I would think not as they do have a pretty good group over there, a bit thin below the top 4 forwards and top 2 defensemen, but I think they certainly have the tools needed to keep "the wheels on

Words can not describe how annoyed I would be if we had to play the Hawks in the first round AGAIN!!

Calgary on the other hand would be an almost ideal match up.

Not only would we bitch slap them quickly, but the Flames are a soft team that's only a quick flight away.

A perfect draw like Calgary would make a huge difference on a cup run this season.
I really don't think the Flames are all that soft. They always play us hard and often end up lucking out and making the game much closer than it should be. Calgary is surging right now, I don't really mind any matchup that we might get, but I don't think Calgary would be easy. Remember the last time we played them in the first round?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It seems the Flames are buying into Butter's system after 2 1/2 years. I don't think they are a soft group but they are woefully thin up the middle( Jokkinen their number 1 centre would be a 3rd line centre on the Canucks) and a little weak on the back end. Yes they have Kipper and iggy and some decent wingers but i'd be disappointed if that series went more than 5 games and like Potatoe1 says it's a quick bird ride .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Certainly not soft, good goal tender, no depth up front and weak defense. But the travel would be great for us :D
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Flames are very soft.

Watch a few of their games, they are one of the least physical teams in the conference now.