Your 2011-2012 Vancouver Canucks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Your 2011-2012 Vancouver Canucks

Post by coco_canuck »

The cuts are in, Hodgson, Oreskovich, Volpatti and Ebbett make the cut up front.

Sulzer stays as 8th D.

Duco, Mancari and Parent sent down to the AHL, Jensen back to Oshawa, Erkisson and Fedoruk have been released. Mancari, Duco and Parent all need to clear waivers.

The starting line-up:

Daniel Henrik Burrows
Sturm Hodgson Samuelsson
Higgins Malhotra Hansen
Volpatti Lapierre Oreskovich

Ebbett

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Salo
Ballard Tanev

Alberts
Sulzer

Luongo
Schneider

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id ... L|VAN|home
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Legend
Posts: 4201
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Raqqa

Re: Your 2011-2012 Vancouver Canucks

Post by Rumsfeld »

Still a very competitive roster, but Hodgson has some serious improving to do if we don't want to tax the crap out of the twins early in the season.

When we get Kesler, Rome and Bitz back:

D.Sedin H.Sedin Burrows
Sturm Kesler Samuelsson
Higgins Malhotra Hansen
Hodgson Lapierre Oreskovich - Bitz Ebbett

Bieksa Hamhuis
Edler Salo
Rome Ballard - Tanev Alberts

Luongo
Schneider

I'm not even counting on Raymond returning this season so I left him out... hard to see where he'd fit in a healthy lineup anyway, barring a trade.

EDIT: Our third line looks like it will be great along the wall and a real bitch to play against, assuming that Manny can get back to being Manny.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Scintillator
CC Veteran
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:12 am

Re: Your 2011-2012 Vancouver Canucks

Post by Scintillator »

I was thinking the same thing about Mason -- not a given to get back in this line-up. Might be better for his health in the long run tho', as there won't be any pressure at all to get back on the ice. Then again, injuries do happen.

So, which one of Hodgson's wingers will be injured first? My money's on Sammy and his crotchety back. Doubt he'll make through November without some games off to rest. Then again, Sturm's knees are likely gonna be a "?" all season.

Hopefully, Bitz will be healthy before tragedy strikes, so AV will have options for shuffling.
Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Your 2011-2012 Vancouver Canucks

Post by Fred »

Well makes you feel a whole lot better. The difference between last year roster and this, Erhoff and 50 pts gone, Volpatti for Torres, Hodgson Sturm and Ebbett for an ailing Kesler and Raymond. We're sure to win the SC this season...because this year we're.........right ........the same or weaker than last year. I guess fundamentally we're the same club. And the purpose of of having a pre-season for all those poor idiots who had to fork out a very large sum of money was........ :eh:

What about Pinizzotto, Mancari.

I'm sorry to see Duco go, at least he would have stirred up those moments when you tend to drop off to sleep ;) added entertainment....God know we don't want that, now do we
cheers
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2108
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Your 2011-2012 Vancouver Canucks

Post by mathonwy »

Rumsfeld wrote: I'm not even counting on Raymond returning this season so I left him out... hard to see where he'd fit in a healthy lineup anyway, barring a trade.
Mason Raymond should honestly take the entire year off. He's not a sniper, he's not a shit disturber, he's not a set up man and he's not a grinder. He's a one trick pony where he quickly skates to the half boards and looses the puck.

last year showed to me that he's also lost a step. He could no longer consistently beat defensemen on the outside.

Considering how horrific his injury was, he's had zero time to actually train and build muscle so inserting him into the top 6 line up in December is counterproductive as he's not skilled enough to coast on pure skill alone. And inserting a guy coming off a major back injury into the bottom 6 line up is probably not that good of an idea.

I think the only way Raymond gets back into the line up is if one of the winger's get injured or we start tanking it for a stretch.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Legend
Posts: 4201
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Raqqa

Re: Your 2011-2012 Vancouver Canucks

Post by Rumsfeld »

Fred wrote:Well makes you feel a whole lot better. The difference between last year roster and this, Erhoff and 50 pts gone, Volpatti for Torres, Hodgson Sturm and Ebbett for an ailing Kesler and Raymond. We're sure to win the SC this season...because this year we're.........right ........the same or weaker than last year. I guess fundamentally we're the same club. And the purpose of of having a pre-season for all those poor idiots who had to fork out a very large sum of money was........ :eh:

What about Pinizzotto, Mancari.

I'm sorry to see Duco go, at least he would have stirred up those moments when you tend to drop off to sleep ;) added entertainment....God know we don't want that, now do we
When healthy we are much stronger in the bottom six than we were to start last season. You also have to figure that Edler can potentially improve his play to #1 NHL D level this year. It looked like that was happening last year 'till he got hurt.

There's a long time between now and the trade deadline and this team has hopefully learned a lot from last year's run and can improve from within. If we can stay healthy for the playoffs then we're one good forward from being a significantly stronger team than last year, IMO.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Legend
Posts: 4201
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Raqqa

Re: Your 2011-2012 Vancouver Canucks

Post by Rumsfeld »

mathonwy wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: I'm not even counting on Raymond returning this season so I left him out... hard to see where he'd fit in a healthy lineup anyway, barring a trade.
Mason Raymond should honestly take the entire year off. He's not a sniper, he's not a shit disturber, he's not a set up man and he's not a grinder. He's a one trick pony where he quickly skates to the half boards and looses the puck.

last year showed to me that he's also lost a step. He could no longer consistently beat defensemen on the outside.

Considering how horrific his injury was, he's had zero time to actually train and build muscle so inserting him into the top 6 line up in December is counterproductive as he's not skilled enough to coast on pure skill alone. And inserting a guy coming off a major back injury into the bottom 6 line up is probably not that good of an idea.

I think the only way Raymond gets back into the line up is if one of the winger's get injured or we start tanking it for a stretch.
I get your frustration with Raymond's offense, and I share it -- but I really think you're shortchanging his defensive play and his PK abilities.

That said, if there were a top-9 forward I could dump in a trade, Raymond would be the guy. Not that he's worth anything with his rearranged spine and a 2.5 mil cap hit.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 12334
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Your 2011-2012 Vancouver Canucks

Post by Topper »

Raymond and Kesler will both be on the "opening day" roster to maximized the ltir.

Our fourth line looks more effective than our second line. Lots of holes still.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3779
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Your 2011-2012 Vancouver Canucks

Post by Jovocop »

Fred wrote:Well makes you feel a whole lot better. The difference between last year roster and this, Erhoff and 50 pts gone, Volpatti for Torres, Hodgson Sturm and Ebbett for an ailing Kesler and Raymond. We're sure to win the SC this season...because this year we're.........right ........the same or weaker than last year. I guess fundamentally we're the same club. And the purpose of of having a pre-season for all those poor idiots who had to fork out a very large sum of money was........ :eh:

What about Pinizzotto, Mancari.

I'm sorry to see Duco go, at least he would have stirred up those moments when you tend to drop off to sleep ;) added entertainment....God know we don't want that, now do we
If you are comparing this lineup to the SCF lineup, it should be something like:

Hodgson for Kesler
Sturm for Raymond
Sammuelsson for Higgins
Higgins for Torres
Volpatti for Glass

Salo for Ehrhoff
Ballard for Rome
Tanev/Alberts for Salo
and most importantly Hamhuis for injured Hamhuis...

Seriously, the only significant dropoff is Hodgson for Kesler and Salo for Ehrhoff (health wise)...
Scintillator
CC Veteran
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:12 am

Re: Your 2011-2012 Vancouver Canucks

Post by Scintillator »

Might we see more secondary scoring from line #3 ? :thumbs:
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3779
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Your 2011-2012 Vancouver Canucks

Post by Jovocop »

Topper wrote:Raymond and Kesler will both be on the "opening day" roster to maximized the ltir.

Our fourth line looks more effective than our second line. Lots of holes still.
Lapierre has been one of the best Canucks in the preseason. Volpatti is at least an upgrade over Glass in terms of toughness. Oreskovich is the biggest question mark. He can play but just needs to be tougher than what he has shown so far.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Legend
Posts: 4201
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Raqqa

Re: Your 2011-2012 Vancouver Canucks

Post by Rumsfeld »

Topper wrote: Our fourth line looks more effective than our second line. Lots of holes still.
I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.

We have one of the best second-line centers in the league on the shelf to start the year, so there's obviously a big downgrade there -- but as much of a floater as Sammy can be, he can also shoot the puck better than 95% of our roster. At least Hodgson will have someone with some actual NHL finish to pass to.

As for Sturm, I think he'll be fine, and is a better offensive player than Higgins or Raymond IMO.
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
User avatar
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2930
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Your 2011-2012 Vancouver Canucks

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote:Raymond and Kesler will both be on the "opening day" roster to maximized the ltir.
Even with their salaries do we reach the cap?
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Your 2011-2012 Vancouver Canucks

Post by Potatoe1 »

Fred wrote:Well makes you feel a whole lot better. The difference between last year roster and this, Erhoff and 50 pts gone, Volpatti for Torres, Hodgson Sturm and Ebbett for an ailing Kesler and Raymond. We're sure to win the SC this season...because this year we're.........right ........the same or weaker than last year.
We did not have Salo, Higgens or Lappy on the ice until after the trade deadline last season.

People love to say "oh but we lost Erhoff" but at no time during the regular season last year did we have both Salo and Edler in the line up. We may not get 164 games out of those 2 this year but we will get more then the 80 we got last year and IMO both are as good as or better then "the Hoff" over all.

Once Kesler is back I think the current group is better then the team that we won the Presidents trophy last regular season.

They obviously aren't better then the team we saw in the post season, but there is a long time between now and the deadline.
Last edited by Potatoe1 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Your 2011-2012 Vancouver Canucks

Post by Potatoe1 »

Rumsfeld wrote: D.Sedin H.Sedin Burrows
Sturm Kesler Samuelsson
Higgins Malhotra Hansen
Hodgson Lapierre Oreskovich - Bitz Ebbett

Bieksa Hamhuis
Edler Salo
Rome Ballard - Tanev Alberts
I just don't see Tanev spending much time in the press box.

If by some miracle 2 of Rome / Ballard / Alberts are able to out play him, I think they send him down.

I also don't see Hodgson in the 4th line again. I think he subs for Kesler and then moves up and down when there is top9 room created by injuries.

I think Ebbet will be the short term utility forward this year and that they will want Cody playing significant minutes in Chicago.

I also think Pinizzotto will get back in once he is healthy and up to speed. He seems similar to Volp and VO in terms of physicality but has a bit more of an offensive game. I thought he was the front-runner for a 4th line spot prior to his injury.
Post Reply