The BS Suspension Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: The BS Suspension Thread

Post by Topper »

Cornuck wrote:We're seeing more fights per game in the playoffs this year than the regular season. We're watching Crosby play silly games like pushing a guy's glove away. We're seeing Kesler do his 'shower the goalie'™ move almost every game.
This sort of stuff has always been in the game, as have head shots. The difference today, is the league has bowed to pressure and told us fans that it is intent on removing these plays from the game, yet we are not seeing it happen and each incident is now amplified with every replay we see of it.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Topper wrote: The difference today, is the league has bowed to pressure and told us fans that it is intent on removing these plays from the game, yet we are not seeing it happen and each incident is now amplified with every replay we see of it.
And I think that reason a lot of are pissed, is because we feel stupid for believing the NHL in the first place. :oops:

I also expect more out of the stars of the game, but they're sinking to the lowest common denominator.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cornuck wrote:I also expect more out of the stars of the game, but they're sinking to the lowest common denominator.
If you ever want a lesson in what "the stars" of the game played like, go back and watch the '72 Summit Series.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Topper wrote:
Cornuck wrote:I also expect more out of the stars of the game, but they're sinking to the lowest common denominator.
If you ever want a lesson in what "the stars" of the game played like, go back and watch the '72 Summit Series.

But that was war!

Agreed, but that was also 40 years ago. The game has changed a bit, and the stars these days are the ones with the endorsements, and should be somewhat concerned about their image.

Kelser? Selke winner and full time diver / snowcone maker? :?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

A lot has changed. For one we know more about concussions than we did 40 years ago. Are concussions up or are we just diagnosing them more? As well, money is bigger in today's game. Players make a whole lot more and more is at stake than just playing for your team or city.

Hockey violence has always been there. Used to be stick swinging duals and fights were a regular part of it. But the size and strength of players and the equipment all impact the end result of that violence. Hell players used to drink and smoke with the best of them but now we are more aware of health issues.

A lot has changed.

What has not changed is the NHL's complete control over everything NHL. What has not changed is their unwillingness to punish players who show no respect. Hell Montreal had a riot when Campbell suspended the Rocket. It wasn't that long ago that Scott Stevens was considered one of the best, if not best, open ice hitters. Today I would venture most of his hits would be considered illegal.

Hockey violence has always been there but the players can no longer police the on ice stuff. Players are no longer held to account on the ice for their dirty hits. Why? Because the NHL want s to give the impression it is controlling the violence but we all see the extra stick work, ala Kesler in the nuts type of play.

It won't change until a player is killed or almost killed. We have had many a great player have to cut short a career due to this stuff and it still is not enough to get the NHL and NHLPA to get together and say enough. Someone said it earlier in this thread, as soon as the NHL class action law suits begin on the concussion issue the NHL will do nothing They are too arrogant to think it will affect them.
The only HW the Canucks need
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

I think the "viewer ratings" have a lot to do with what is happening. This "Roller Derby" on ice spectacle sells in the USA which is what Bettman and Co. want. It means $ for the owners and it means job security for Bettman and friends.

In bygone days there was "respect" for the most part amongst the players and the "cheap" crap we see now was very rare. When it did occur it quickly taken care on the ice. John Ferguson was perhaps the most "hated" player in the NHL during his career. He fought Bobby Hull, Ted Green, Orland Kurtenbach, Bob Plager all tough guys. None of these guys were cheap. They would hit you hard but they were not dirty and they respected each other on and off the ice.

Listening to today's "stars" like Sid the Kid, saying " I don't like any of the guys on that team" or Jonathon Toews comments about the Canucks last year provides more evidence of the lack of respect in today's game. The product and behaviour on ice which is aided and abetted by the NHL is the result.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

So Torres absolutely destroyed Hossa last night. No penalty called but Shanny is reviewing. Seems like people are saying 5 games to permanent ban for the rest of the Stanley cup playoffs - we can all guess who's calling for the permanent ban.

So what do you guys think? How many games? Retaliation for the Hawks hit on Smith the game previous?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

wafflecombine wrote:So Torres absolutely destroyed Hossa last night. No penalty called but Shanny is reviewing. Seems like people are saying 5 games to permanent ban for the rest of the Stanley cup playoffs - we can all guess who's calling for the permanent ban.

So what do you guys think? How many games? Retaliation for the Hawks hit on Smith the game previous?

I did not see it as a dirty hit. Shoulder was down. Maybe a tad late similar to Rome but the on ice officials did not call a penalty. I agree with your assessment that they may want to make an example out of Torres and too bad if they do. It will be just one more joke. There is no way in hell he should get more than Keith got for his premeditated attack on Dank. Too bad the Hawks don't see that.
The only HW the Canucks need
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Raffi is an "easy" target for the NHL to hammer and try to regain credibility in some eyes. If they do it will just reinforce the hypocrisy that a lot of us are seeing.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Listercat wrote:Raffi is an "easy" target for the NHL to hammer and try to regain credibility in some eyes. If they do it will just reinforce the hypocrisy that a lot of us are seeing.
Star player hurt.

Fringe player with a history does the deed.

Suspensions coming out of the league office like fireworks on the 4th of July.

Original 6 major player franchise.

Torres is gone.

No ifs about it.
DeLevering since 1999.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Yer right Donnie. I should have said "when" not if!!
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

I only saw that hit on the highlights and I thought it was pretty malisious and did target the head.

Did my eyes deceive me or didn't Torres jump into that hit a bit?

At least that is what my wife and I saw.

Not that I mind a shithawk player being taken out, (hope Hossa is not severly injured though, I would love him on the Nucks).

I just wish it were that punk Keith leaving the ice on a stretcher!
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Raffi Torres

Point of contact: Shoulder on head.
History of suspension: Yup.
Injury to player: Yup
Likely suspension: 4 games

I think a perma ban on Bettman's enforcer is excessive.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Torres didn't so much jump as he leaped off the ice. The principle point of contact was the head. Hossa is badly injured. Torres is a repeat offender.

I see him getting 8 to 10 games, and it's well deserved. The guy just doesn't learn.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

So using Shanny math 8-10 is 4-5 playoff games.

I agree with that.

Deep down though, I almost hope he shits the bed and does nothing or a 2500 fine. Torres in for the next game would just be too entertaining from an evil, twisted perspective.