The BS Suspension Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: The BS Suspension Thread

Post by dhabums »

tantalum wrote: -the injury. If you want to get rid of things take the injury out of the equation. Judge the play based on the violence and what it COULD have done or led to. Take a hit to the head...some guys have mush heads and will be knocked out for an extended period of time while another guy on a very hard hit may not suffer any injury. IN todays NHL the former play may receive the harsher punishment. If you want to get rid of the dangerous play, quit waiting for the injuries to occur.

I am really not sure how I feel on this matter. In real life, the result is taken into account all of the time. I think it's a bit simplistic to make it this cut and dried. 2 hits could look very similar, but one player may indeed do something to lessen the chance of serious injury, even if is very slight.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

dhabums wrote:
tantalum wrote: -the injury. If you want to get rid of things take the injury out of the equation. Judge the play based on the violence and what it COULD have done or led to. Take a hit to the head...some guys have mush heads and will be knocked out for an extended period of time while another guy on a very hard hit may not suffer any injury. IN todays NHL the former play may receive the harsher punishment. If you want to get rid of the dangerous play, quit waiting for the injuries to occur.

I am really not sure how I feel on this matter. In real life, the result is taken into account all of the time. I think it's a bit simplistic to make it this cut and dried. 2 hits could look very similar, but one player may indeed do something to lessen the chance of serious injury, even if is very slight.

I see the point, bums, but that's why there's murder and attempted murder. They're both penalized, even though one of them didn't "succeed". You get more for murder, of course, but attempted murder gets you plenty too.

Penalties should be meted out for serious infractions no matter what - the severity of an injury should simply result in extra "gravy" on top of a minimum suspension. It's the "no-harm-no-foul" mentality that is corrupting the disciplinary process right now.

It really boils down to whether they want to fucking protect the players or not. I mean, hell, it's not like the best freaking player in the world might sit out another entire season, so what's the problem, right?
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

It's not real life so why treat it like real life? It's a game in it's own closed system and if players know that unless a guy gets hurt they will get nothing more than a slap on the wrist the driving force for the player to change just isn't present. Injuries are the exception not the norm and punishing the exception does squat. Punishing the norm...now you are on to something. All of a sudden a player is going to hold up when he sees a guys numbers. He's going to make sure he makes the proper contact. And, IMO, it doesn't take hitting from the game it takes reckless play from the game. And reckless play needs to be reduced.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Hmmm...Will Marchand be a part of this at some point this week?

*bump*
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

wienerdog wrote:I mean, hell, it's not like the best freaking player in the world might sit out another entire season, so what's the problem, right?
Salo will be fine.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

dhabums wrote:
wienerdog wrote:I mean, hell, it's not like the best freaking player in the world might sit out another entire season, so what's the problem, right?
Salo will be fine.

lol...wut? Image
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

There is a hearing scheduled for Monday between Marchard and Shanahan. On NHL.com, it didn't say if the hearing was in person or over the phone.

This would be Marchand's third infraction. The elbow to Umberger last March, the slew foot last month to Niskanen and now this clip to Salo.

This is 5+ games worthy, let's hope Shanahan agrees.

And fuck Claude Julien's fat fucking ass for defending that shit on the ice.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

LotusBlossom wrote: And fuck Claude Julien's fat fucking ass for defending that shit on the ice.
No kidding. My respect for the Pens organization increased so much more when they simply said what Cooke did was dirty and unless he changes he won't be a Pen.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

tantalum wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote: And fuck Claude Julien's fat fucking ass for defending that shit on the ice.
No kidding. My respect for the Pens organization increased so much more when they simply said what Cooke did was dirty and unless he changes he won't be a Pen.
Given how Neely's career was ended, one would assume that the Bruins management should not be very happy with Marchand's antic. I guess business is business after all...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Bruins got away with this shit all of most of last season and all of the playoffs so of course they are confused. If they had suspended Chara for his hit and Marchand for a few of his in the playoffs and then Lucic earlier this year they might be at the point of getting the message.

It was only a few seasons ago where the Flyers were getting suspension left right and centre. They cleaned it up pretty quickly. Now it was mostly Downy if I remember correctly but they had a rash of these goon type plays very early one season. The Bruins have been allowed to play this way and so they keep playing this way. They believe their own press clippings about being big bad and tough so they act it. As i've said in another post its too bad because they are a very talented team with great goaltending. They really do not need to play that way to win.

It reminds me f the year Anaheim won the Cup. They played the same way but their particular bent was running goalies. They had such a talented team that they really didn't need to play smash hockey but they got away with it. Since them we have seen some those guys since get suspensions but too little too late.

The consequences of the Marchand hit will be more clipping penalties to Hamhuis and Ballard. These types of plays will be scrutinized more now by the on ice officials.
The only HW the Canucks need
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

I do not believe Marchand should be suspended.

First, the hit was not the sort the NHL is cracking down on (head, knee) or should be cracking down on (slew foot, spear).

Second, the principal point of contact was the thigh, not the knee or below. He got down, but not *way* down. Marchand is a short guy; he has almost no margin of error here.

I fear that if Marchand gets suspended, the hip check is all but eliminated from the game. A major was a stiff enough penalty for the infraction.

The good news is that it took a dangerous play for Salo to get hurt this year. Not a freak injury!
Hono_rary Canadian
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

I believe he should be suspended. Salo was not carrying the puck and therefore it wasn't a hipcheck, but interference on a guy who was vulnerable. It isn't the same as a guy going low on another player carrying the puck. it was a cheap play from a cheap player.

If this is not a suspendable hit than neither is Aaron Rome's hit on Nathan (the superstar) Horton.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Overtime »

Sami landed primarily on his shoulder then his head. I'm no medical professional but Marchands' manouver could and may have resulted in displaced cervical vertebrae. If his head had taken the primary impact it could have been more serious.
If it was a hip check and he was moving forward then it would have been easier for him to roll forward out of it.
In my opinion that "clip" should receive a serious suspension.
It's hard to justify any certain number of games for something so potentially dangerous and dirty.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

The Marchand hit cannot or should not be compared to to a "hip" check. A hip check has the checker going ass first into the player being checked. The player on the receiving end "knows" full well what is coming and can roll with the check.

Marchand was coming towards Salo at an angle, head first. He ducked under Sami and basically flipped him up and over with something akin to a wrestling move.

No player could possibly expect that situation and Marchand left Sami no way to protect himself. Sami expected to meet Marchand chest to chest or shoulder to shoulder, Marchand bailed.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
zephyr
AHL Prospect

Post by zephyr »

Agreed Listercat. A classic "hip check" is essentially an ass check. Marchand makes this hit head first. End of story.

Did anyone watch the game through a Bruins feed? And I thought John Garrett was an embarrassing homer ...