pot calling the kettle black

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: pot calling the kettle black

Postby dhabums » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:48 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
porp wrote:Calling someone a fag, etc happens in a lot of sports at most levels / age groups.

The only people that can really remove it from the game are the on-ice officials (in all levels / age groups).

If the NHL truely does not want these type of insults in the game, have the refs start calling unsportsmanlike conduct penalties when they hear such insults and players will start choosing other words.

Do this in all levels / age groups and perhaps the use of these type of insults will decrease.

We had 2 refs in the VMBHL that would routinely warn players for any sort of foul language (spoken loudly) and then give penalties.

Really good trash talk doesn't require swearing at all. In fact, it's usually better without it.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby mathonwy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:30 pm

porp wrote:Using a banana as an ethnic slur is so provincial. Step it up racists! Besides, you're going to confuse West Coast Asian-American/Canadian fans.

The Associate Press did some pretty subtle work on the transcription of Obama's speech a couple of days ago (and even they are getting called out).

My thoughts exactly.

Next time go with the watermelon. Less confusion.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Tciso » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:45 pm

dhabums wrote:
Zedlee wrote:What a non-issue. Avery victim of trash talking? My god what next.

News flash: hockey is a tough game and some guys hate each other...and call each other names.

As long as players are going to use homosexual slurs as insults there will be an issue. Feel free to read my post with a lisp. The English language is full of lovely terms that actually qualify as trash talk.

Should the NHL be posting the official list of acceptable and non-acceptable trash talk words?
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby dhabums » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:22 pm

Tciso wrote:
dhabums wrote:
Zedlee wrote:What a non-issue. Avery victim of trash talking? My god what next.

News flash: hockey is a tough game and some guys hate each other...and call each other names.

As long as players are going to use homosexual slurs as insults there will be an issue. Feel free to read my post with a lisp. The English language is full of lovely terms that actually qualify as trash talk.

Should the NHL be posting the official list of acceptable and non-acceptable trash talk words?

If they tell players they can't say "well, obviously" at the start of each interview I'd e happy.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:02 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:Also, my opinion in this matter is pretty simple. Whats said on the ice, stays on the ice.

I would generally agree with this. I would expect Colin Campbell is probably angrier with Sean Avery (for bringing this off the ice) than he is with Simmonds.

That being said, Simmonds needs to think a bit harder next time before opening his mouth - calling a noted shit stirrer and gay rights activist who has no problem airing dirty laundry in the media a term that (in other contexts) is... well is just not acceptable... if anyone had corroborated Avery's claim then I'd have a hard time sympathizing with Simmonds for whatever the league threw at him.

And in the presence of a verifiable claim, the league should do something about it. Stories in the media about this guy calling another guy faggot are bad PR, and the league is a business first and foremost. I would expect at least some of their sponsors would prefer not being associated with that kind of nomenclature.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Per » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:52 am

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:I think I hear Per approaching...

That reminds me, are we still allowed to use the word "Swede" or has it become a synonym for you-know-what?

Rutabaga?

Refried swede with caramelized onions and bacon plus a gratin with goat’s cheese :shock:
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Per » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:10 am

mathonwy wrote:
porp wrote:Using a banana as an ethnic slur is so provincial. Step it up racists! Besides, you're going to confuse West Coast Asian-American/Canadian fans.

The Associate Press did some pretty subtle work on the transcription of Obama's speech a couple of days ago (and even they are getting called out).

My thoughts exactly.

Next time go with the watermelon. Less confusion.

Maybe the offender was Spanish? There have been many incidents in Spain with fans throwing bananas at black soccer players. :?

Besides, bringing water melons to games might be slightly more suspiscious than bringing bananas...
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Per » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:33 am

dhabums wrote:
Tciso wrote:Should the NHL be posting the official list of acceptable and non-acceptable trash talk words?

If they tell players they can't say "well, obviously" at the start of each interview I'd e happy.

Well, obviously... :wink:
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dhabums » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:36 pm

So the accused is claiming he didn't realize a banana would be construed as racist and he was throwing it simply to distract Simmonds. While I do not buy it, I don't know the guy. But it sure would be a case of really unfortunate timing.

The only thing he really might have going in his favour is that it happened in the SO. Did he really show up with the intent to throw a banana at Simmonds and wait that long? The public humiliation is more than enough of a penalty.

--

A tip to my coloured friends: take back the banana like you took back the N word. I think if we see some banana tossing in rap videos it'll be cool.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:59 pm

I heard another banana was tossed earlier (2nd period?) while Simmonds was out there.

Didn't make it all the way to the ice.

Maybe he had a bunch.

Maybe there was a second tosser....
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby rats19 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:01 pm

Strangelove wrote:I heard another banana was tossed earlier (2nd period?) while Simmonds was out there.

Maybe he had a bunch.

grassy knoll theory?
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Rumsfeld » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:05 pm

Strangelove wrote:I heard another banana was tossed earlier (2nd period?) while Simmonds was out there.

Maybe he had a bunch.

From the grassy knoll in section 119...

I have a hunch he did have a bunch.

A veritable bombardment of fruit projectiles.

Bananarama: A Chilling Account of the Day Hockey Changed Forever by Donald Rumsfeld. In stores October 31st.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dhabums » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:30 pm

I heard a rumor that Robert De Niro is waiting to play the second tosser in the film version!
Last edited by dhabums on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:31 pm

I don't see what the problem is.

When life throws you a banana, just force the girlfriend to make banana bread!
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby rats19 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:34 pm

Strangelove wrote:I don't see what the problem is.

When life throws you a banana, just force the girlfriend to make banana bread!

Best when bananas are...you know what.
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat