11/12 Injury Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Post Reply
User avatar
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4956
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: On wide shoulders...

Re: 11/12 Injury Thread

Post by Carl Yagro »

Raymond-Kesler-Booth... I'm wondering what this is going to look like with only one puck on the ice.

Will it be Kesler with his head down and full head of steam, then firing his patented sweeping wrist shot patently into the defenceman's shin guards while the other two guys are frustratingly waiting for a pass?

Will it be Raymond with his head down and full head of steam skating down the left wing, going around the outside and straight into a pile up on the right side boards while the other two guys are frustratingly waiting for a pass?

Will it be Booth with his head down and full head of steam skating down the wing, going around the outside and driving straight to the net before poking it meekly into the goalie's pads while the other two guys are frustratingly waiting for a pass?

Line looks pretty fast on paper though.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: 11/12 Injury Thread

Post by Potatoe1 »

Strangelove wrote:
Hodgson is not likely to see his minutes increase much if at all with those lines.
I dont disagree.
This is about moving Hodgson back to centre where he belongs. (smile)
That I disagree with.

Manny is coming out because he is sucking, not because AV wants Cody to play in the middle. Cody is going to have to perform with what ever ice time and what ever role he is given. AV is not the type who builds his line up around providing opportunity for a rookie.
Lappy deserves more icetime than Hods right now imo, but he won't be getting that...
Deserve has nothing to do with it....

If the Canucks need some offence then Hodgson will most likely play more. If we are protecting a lead however Lappy moves up and likely plays a ton (probably for Booth has been a shit show in his own end).

Lappy was getting 12-13 min even while on the 4th line, I wouldnt expect that to change.
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 27613
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: 11/12 Injury Thread

Post by Strangelove »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Strangelove wrote: This is about moving Hodgson back to centre where he belongs. (smile)
That I disagree with.

Manny is coming out because he is sucking, not because AV wants Cody to play in the middle.
Yes, as I said, Manny deserves to be benched for major suckage reasons.

However AV knows Cody belongs in the middle, needs to develop in the middle.

AV also knows it's going to be hard to find Cody many minutes at centre on a team with Kess, Hank, and Lappy.

And if Manny ever gets his shit together fuggedaboutit.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: 11/12 Injury Thread

Post by Potatoe1 »

Strangelove wrote:
However AV knows Cody belongs in the middle, needs to develop in the middle.

AV also knows it's going to be hard to find Cody many minutes at centre on a team with Kess, Hank, and Lappy.

And if Manny ever gets his shit together fuggedaboutit.

So why "develop him as a center" ? AV has said that Cody will have to play the wing if he wants to be a long term fit in the top6.

Again I dont think this has anything to do with development, I think AV believes the current line up gives him the best chance to beat the Avs, and right now that is all he should be concerned with.

If the team were rolling he might be able to concern himself with "development" but right now winning should be all that really matters.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: 11/12 Injury Thread

Post by Potatoe1 »

Hank wrote:Raymond-Kesler-Booth... I'm wondering what this is going to look like with only one puck on the ice.



Line looks pretty fast on paper though.
It think that line could work if / when all 3 guys are healthy and playing well. Right now however, if they can generate some pressure and avoid being burned defensively, I think you would have to characterize it as a success.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 12029
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: 11/12 Injury Thread

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote: AV has said that Cody will have to play the wing if he wants to be a long term fit in the top6.
When did he say that?

Cody will draw the short straw if Raymond returns to form quickly and he along with Weise and Volpatti are the only forwards who can not play the PK. That is a sad road to development for the kid.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16062
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: 11/12 Injury Thread

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cody had some good games as third line centre. If he has Hansen and Higgins on his wing I can't see him failing in that spot. In fact I think it will be a pretty good defensive line as well as contribute offensively. And what is wrong with having Lappy 4th line centre with Maholtra and one of Weiss or Volpatti on the other wing? That way we still have Malhotra for key face offs, he is second best in the league, he can play on the 4th line with Lappy and his minutes can be managed.

The key, as is usual, is if the 2nd line can produce, that elusive secondary scoring. If Kesler/Raymond/Booth begin to produce the way they look to be able to on paper then that takes a ton of pressure off the top line.

All in all I like the balance.
The only HW the Canucks need
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: 11/12 Injury Thread

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: AV has said that Cody will have to play the wing if he wants to be a long term fit in the top6.
When did he say that?
A presser shortly after kesler returned.

Cody will draw the short straw if Raymond returns to form quickly and he along with Weise and Volpatti are the only forwards who can not play the PK. That is a sad road to development for the kid.
I'm not sure what your point is here.

The Canucks tend to use 3 pairs on the PK, and they have an abundance of guys who can do it "especially" if Raymond returns to form.

What they do not have is an abundance of players with the puck skills to play on the second unit power play. The Second unit has been miles better then the awful group we had last year and one of the biggest reason why is because it now has a center that can consistently make plays from the half boards. That is far more likely to keep Cody in the line up then being a spare part on the PK would.

Special teams are not what will keep Cody off the roster. If Cody is to be sent down it will be because AV wants to go with a very defensive minded 3rd line and Cody isn't able to score enough to stick in the top6.
User avatar
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4956
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: On wide shoulders...

Re: 11/12 Injury Thread

Post by Carl Yagro »

Potatoe1 wrote: It think that line could work if / when all 3 guys are healthy and playing well. Right now however, if they can generate some pressure and avoid being burned defensively, I think you would have to characterize it as a success.
The big question mark will be Raymond. How rusty or tentative will he be? Defensively he should really add to the line, compensating for Booth's sketchy defensive awareness. And let's not forget Raymond's prowess on the PK.

With his speed, there should be a lot more pressure generated in the offensive zone by the line. However, I'll take a wait-see attitude on whether there will be an actual improvement on scoring chances generated, as now there are three very similar players who tend to try to do too much by himself.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: 11/12 Injury Thread

Post by Potatoe1 »

Hank wrote: The big question mark will be Raymond. How rusty or tentative will he be?
I'm sure like almost every other player who is coming back from a serious injury he will very very good for a couple of games and then terrible for a long stretch until he gets back in shape.

Of course fans will fixate on what is probably a normal recovery process and claim he's "lost it" and will never return to form.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: 11/12 Injury Thread

Post by Potatoe1 »

Hockey Widow wrote: And what is wrong with having Lappy 4th line centre with Maholtra and one of Weiss or Volpatti on the other wing?
Nothing.

Frankly the 4th line has fallen off a cliff since Lappy has been moved up. It's quite clear he was the catalyst for that group and I think his impact was more obvious in that role then it was playing with Hodgson and Booth on the 3rd.

It will be a while before I forget the game the 4th line had against the Caps where they hit everything that moved and just swallowed every loose puck. Probably the best game by a Canuck 4th line that I can recall.
User avatar
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:18 am

Re: 11/12 Injury Thread

Post by Corb »

Bitz?

I haven't heard any updates.
Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: 11/12 Injury Thread

Post by Fred »

Hockey Widow wrote:Cody had some good games as third line centre. If he has Hansen and Higgins on his wing I can't see him failing in that spot. In fact I think it will be a pretty good defensive line as well as contribute offensively. And what is wrong with having Lappy 4th line centre with Maholtra and one of Weiss or Volpatti on the other wing? That way we still have Malhotra for key face offs, he is second best in the league, he can play on the 4th line with Lappy and his minutes can be managed.

The key, as is usual, is if the 2nd line can produce, that elusive secondary scoring. If Kesler/Raymond/Booth begin to produce the way they look to be able to on paper then that takes a ton of pressure off the top line.

All in all I like the balance.
I have tended to look at Hodgson with some doubt, but I have to say he is looking better with this stretch. If Booth can only do the same. I liked Weiss in last nights game, alway made an intelligent more and showed flashes of skill. Volpattie plays like the puck is a grenade, shame Pizzoloto or what ever his name is has now gone for the season. Hodgsons problem is he can be sent down without waivers I believe
cheers
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Lower left-hand corner

Re: 11/12 Injury Thread

Post by BladesofSteel »

Fred wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Cody had some good games as third line centre. If he has Hansen and Higgins on his wing I can't see him failing in that spot. In fact I think it will be a pretty good defensive line as well as contribute offensively. And what is wrong with having Lappy 4th line centre with Maholtra and one of Weiss or Volpatti on the other wing? That way we still have Malhotra for key face offs, he is second best in the league, he can play on the 4th line with Lappy and his minutes can be managed.

The key, as is usual, is if the 2nd line can produce, that elusive secondary scoring. If Kesler/Raymond/Booth begin to produce the way they look to be able to on paper then that takes a ton of pressure off the top line.

All in all I like the balance.
Hodgsons problem is he can be sent down without waivers I believe
I'm assuming you meant to say he can't be sent down without waivers. He is not waiver eligible however, seeing as this is only his second year pro. Not that he in any way deserves a demotion. His play has been fine. It could be argued his numbers are only where they are due to the completely average linemates he's been matched up with all season long.

No one, not even the Sedins, are playing near their potential right now. I hardly expect Raymond to come in and set the tone. Having said that, it is encouraging news Mason is returning to the lineup, as the club could use a positive boost as they continue to find their collective game.
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 27613
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: 11/12 Injury Thread

Post by Strangelove »

Potatoe1 wrote: So why "develop him as a center" ?
Exactly. Trade him.
Potatoe1 wrote: AV has said that Cody will have to play the wing if he wants to be a long term fit in the top6.
Yep it's a shame we have Hank & Kess. Trade him.
Potatoe1 wrote: Again I dont think this has anything to do with development, I think AV believes the current line up gives him the best chance to beat the Avs, and right now that is all he should be concerned with.
Well yes, that and the fact Hodgson belongs in the middle. :drink:
Potatoe1 wrote: If the team were rolling he might be able to concern himself with "development" but right now winning should be all that really matters.
Don't wet the bed Potski, it's early! :sly:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Post Reply