Bertuzzi/Moore

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Bertuzzi/Moore

Post by ClamRussel »

LotusBlossom wrote:The only thing that's really shitty about the whole damn thing is the Canucks are now possibly going to be on the hook for the actions of one person.
So who is on the hook, regarding the "person" known as Vancouver Canucks? The Aquillinis or McCaw? ...seems odd that the lawsuit can be against McCaw...and McCaw is "responsible"...and then he can sell his team and someone who wasn't even on the scene is now responsible. I'm sure this was dealt with at the time of sale but its still a strange situation.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

ClamRussel wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:The only thing that's really shitty about the whole damn thing is the Canucks are now possibly going to be on the hook for the actions of one person.
So who is on the hook, regarding the "person" known as Vancouver Canucks? The Aquillinis or McCaw? ...seems odd that the lawsuit can be against McCaw...and McCaw is "responsible"...and then he can sell his team and someone who wasn't even on the scene is now responsible. I'm sure this was dealt with at the time of sale but its still a strange situation.
I'm sure you're right about that issue being dealt with at the time of the sale of the Canucks, Clam. It's a strange situation. But we do have a year to think about it all, if we wish. lol

Off topic and for you specifically: A good friend of mine happens to live in your building and knows your wife somewhat well. The two of us went out to the Drink on Columbia street and she was discussing where her home is now, I haven't seen her in a few years prior very recently, and she told me it and it seemed very familiar to me until she described how the building looked like. Oddly enough, I said I think I have another friend who lives in that building. So I described you physically and she said, "Does he have a wife named "*************"? " I said yes and she said she knew you and thought you guys were just a great couple.

Small world.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

ClamRussel wrote:

Due diligence. Not that it was necessary for this matter.

Every single day companies are bought/sold with pending legal issues.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

dhabums wrote:Maybe he can sue JQ for being so stupid to have him out there.
I believe that it was Tony Granato at the time not Joel Quenville. Knowing that the Canucks were looking to kill Moore that game, Granato sent him out there. Nobody could really tell what Granato's intention was. Was he trying to let the Canucks settle the score?? Or was he simply trying to get a few Canucks suspended??
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Jovocop wrote:
dhabums wrote:Maybe he can sue JQ for being so stupid to have him out there.
I believe that it was Tony Granato at the time not Joel Quenville. Knowing that the Canucks were looking to kill Moore that game, Granato sent him out there. Nobody could really tell what Granato's intention was. Was he trying to let the Canucks settle the score?? Or was he simply trying to get a few Canucks suspended??
You believe correctly.

I always assumed the coach was sending him out there to get it over with. Ooops, I guess.

I think Rick Tocchet was also on the bench, another guy that believed in old school justice. Add those two to the list of defendants.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

ClamRussel wrote:
Because legal action was initiated while the Canucks had an insurance policy held by Orca Bay the issuer of that policy pays.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

dhabums wrote:

Still, as many hockey people have said (because I assume what I say means zero), he fought Cooke and that should have been the end of it. You can blame Moore for picking his spot if you want to. WTF Cooke was trying to fight him is beyond me. You do seem stuck on the code of what players do but you don't seem prepared to accept that Moore fought Cooke. If it bothers you, blame Cooke for asking. Moore fought, and if you love the idea of what players have done for decades, that should be enough for you.

Back to you. I applaud your bravado. But I bet if your livelihood is taken away from you due to a criminal act, you will consider and then definitely pursue legal action. Would it make any real difference if Moore fought May, Ruutu, Pronger, Allen and whoever else and THEN Bertuzzi hit him? Same result. Same crime. Would he be allowed to sue then? Or would anything short of murder have been ok?

Maybe he can sue JQ for being so stupid to have him out there.
Actually I don't discount what you have to say as zero, I respect other opinions and positions here even if I am having a hard time respecting Moore's lawsuit. However, it seems that even Moore's own coaches didn't feel like it was settled by him picking his spot with Cooke so while you might find some hockey people who think that Moore was paid up with that fight, there are many who don't feel that way.
As for your accusation or question about how I personally would respond to having my career taken away by a criminal act. I agree that talk is cheap so whatever I protest about my own character is going to be unsubstantiated making it impossible to defend and unfair to ask. what can I say that you would believe?
I don't like Moore's actions before, during, and after the sucker punch that ended his playing career. I think that Bertuzzi proved to everyone what kind of player/person he is sooner than he would have otherwise and I am happy that he has moved on and found a spot somewhere else. The whole thing makes the sport look bad and perhaps that's what I dislike the most.
nomad_0024
AHL Prospect

Post by nomad_0024 »

8 years later and maybe finally this thing can be put to rest. What a joke.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

So I was really bored and decided to answer my own question regarding Moore's benefits that he has forfeited.

The CBA Article 24 deals with insurance. Poor Stevie was one game away from the 70 game threshold that would have doubled his disability insurance benefits, from $150k to $300k. There is also a $600k payout on the "Serious Disability" policy for career ending injuries due to blindness, dismemberment, paralysis, or brain injury. BUT, under 23.4, Moore had to release the NHL, NHLPA, all clubs, and their employees etc. for liability in order to receive the insurance money.

So by pursuing this lawsuit, Moore has forfeited $750,000 in insurance payouts. When you factor in the disbursements, costs, and his lawyer's 1/3 of any damages, he probably needs an award around $2 million to come out ahead. Had he succeeded in having the case heard in Colorado, he would have easily settled for far more than that, but in Canada he`ll be lucky to get that kind of award.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

ESQ wrote:Had he succeeded in having the case heard in Colorado, he would have easily settled for far more than that, but in Canada he`ll be lucky to get that kind of award.
That was also part of the sleeziness that proved he was interested in one thing & one thing only.

By forgoing any attempt at training towards a comeback plus suing the NHL he has put put a nail in his hockey career. Its called selling your soul to the devil. For money. It was inane to think one Ontario guy whacking another Ontario guy in BC should be heard in Colorado. Before all this lawsuit stuff started the guy had all the sympathy in the world. Today I'd reckon his approval rating would be in Gordo's neck of the woods (8-9%).
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Jovorock wrote:
dhabums wrote:
Maybe when your kid is left unconscious and bleeding on the ice because of a sucker punch to the back of the head you'll come around. You know, when his lively hood and future are permanently affect. Hopefully you'll never have to find out.
If this happened to my kid and his name was Steve Moore I would of been ok with it. :D
I have to agree with Jovo. Then again my kid would never be running away after using his elbow to blindside a star player. If you are going to play a mans sport then act like a man. I still believe that Moore got what he deserved. I think that Raymond's injury is worse and you don't hear too much sniveling about that.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

nomad_0024 wrote:8 years later and maybe finally this thing can be put to rest. What a joke.
Wait for the appeal. :)
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Canuck-One wrote:
Jovorock wrote:
dhabums wrote:
Maybe when your kid is left unconscious and bleeding on the ice because of a sucker punch to the back of the head you'll come around. You know, when his lively hood and future are permanently affect. Hopefully you'll never have to find out.
If this happened to my kid and his name was Steve Moore I would of been ok with it. :D
I have to agree with Jovo. Then again my kid would never be running away after using his elbow to blindside a star player. If you are going to play a mans sport then act like a man. I still believe that Moore got what he deserved. I think that Raymond's injury is worse and you don't hear too much sniveling about that.

Let's get this straight.

If Moore had fought 3 Canucks the night of the hit, then fought three Canucks the next game, then fought 2 Canucks the night his career ended, would you be ok with him suing Bertuzzi? You know, if it was your son acting like a man. Answer the question really carefully.

And my god man, the Raymond injury is not even relevant.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dhabums wrote: I applaud your bravado. But I bet if your livelihood is taken away from you due to a criminal act, you will consider and then definitely pursue legal action.
"definitely"

So anyone/everyone in Steve Moore's situation would choose legal action? Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: So by pursuing this lawsuit, Moore has forfeited $750,000 in insurance payouts. When you factor in the disbursements, costs, and his lawyer's 1/3 of any damages, he probably needs an award around $2 million to come out ahead. Had he succeeded in having the case heard in Colorado, he would have easily settled for far more than that, but in Canada he`ll be lucky to get that kind of award.
Thanks for your research on this ESQ, very interesting....
____
Try to focus on someday.