Team 1040 does not renew (i.e. fires) Big Daddy's Contract

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Re: Team 1040 does not renew (i.e. fires) Big Daddy's Contra

Post by LotusBlossom »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fred wrote: I hate baseball much the same way as I love hockey.
I love baseball almost as much as I love hockey. I also like golf and the NFL too.

Scary thing is the majority of the characters who listen to the TEAM 1040 and call themsleves sports fans are really only fans of the Canucks and maybe the 3rd rate local football team. They could care less about what goes on in the world of sports and give the rest of the NHL a passing interest. In reality Vancouver is not a sports town it's a Canucks town and nothing more. We could never support another major league team here because most of the meat puppets who reside here would have to learn about other sports and that takes way too much effort.
Your first statement hit the nail on the head here, Blob. I'm a big baseball fan almost as much as I am a hockey fan. I love taking weekend trips to Seattle to watch the MLB, especially when the Yankees are in town, but I go more often than that. I like it when they used to put on (I'm not sure if they still have that on 1410) the shows from the US, like Jim Rome's.

It's true, and it's not a 'bad' thing as Clam stated in a previous response, the majority of the people who call in and listen to the TEAM 1040 are mostly just hockey fans, mainly Canucks fans. I, like Blob, am a sports fan and enjoy following my other sports. I've noticed at the Canucks events I have gone to over the past year in this town, when it comes to the summer and arranging a fan event for another surrounding team or another sport, those fans aren't interested. I get it, but there are other sports going on in the world besides Canucks hockey.

I have a friend who wants to get into the sports journalism business and I told her, if she wants to be a sports writer and be taken seriously for a job, she needs to learn other sports and watch more hockey beyond the NHL. It's not that she refuses to do so, she just isn't all that interested in football, baseball or soccer. I'm not sure how she expects to get a job as a hockey writer in this city if she isn't well rounded enough in the other sports to start showcasing her writing.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
dhabums wrote:I wonder if this the mayor's fault too?

Good riddance to a know-nothing douchebag blowhard.
Absolutely Pratt is a moron . But so are the rest of the hosts at that station and most of them are worse than he. At least Pratt did have a c-hair of attitude and personality. That station has enough "talent" to put one or maybe two daily shows on the air, and yet they try and spread out the "talent" over 16 fucking hours when 4-6 would be enough.

How much Canucks and Lions do people want to talk ? Because it's not like any of these assheads actually knows anything other than NHL hockey and CFL semi pro football and even then their knowledge is suspect at best.
This is a town of Canuckleheads and Lions fans. No one really gets into anything but MMA outside of that. There is an MLB Baseball team 2 and half hours down the i-5 but nada about them. Why? To be honest, I don't think much of the Lower Mainland knows much about baseball or any other sport for that matter.
In a perfect world the TEAM would have had a morning show from 6 - 9 and an afternoon show from 3 -6. |Fill in from 9-3 with American programming for people who actually like things other than the Canucks and Lions and like hosts with a bit of talent.
Wasn't that what they had when they first started in the early 2000's? They just marketed their brand like idiots back in the day but that's the format they had on air, as far as I recall.
Really after B-Mac and Moj it thins out pretty fucking quick. Taylor is a legend in his own mind and hasn't been remotely amusing since the late 80's. Patterson and Mclutchey are just brutal and have the personality of a wet mop. They both have horrific voices as well. As I said in another post it's a shame that Lee Powell and Farhan Lalji don't do more radio because they'd be among the best on that station.
I love Moj, he really is a knowledgeable sports guy as is B-Mac. When they get on air together, it's a good listen. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU on that Don Taylor opinion. There is a reason the Sports Page Alumni during his tenure have gone on to bigger and better things (Randorf, Shorthouse and even McCormick)...they had substance. Taylor just keeps rehashing his old Sports Page stuff, which is really sad to see. I've heard it in 1989, there is no need to repeat it in 2011.

I don't really listen to 1040 much more than an hour a day if that in hockey season but now it will likely be even less than that. Thank Christ for 1410 and Rome and Patrick from 9 - 3.
AH That's where they went! I love Dan Patrick! I'll remember that.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Fred wrote:I suppose Gregor Robinson will be celebrating this firing. Pratt was the only one willing to speak up against the Mayor of Vcr. Personally I was happy about that. It's not as though he didn't discuss other thing then bike lanes and and sports, they did a section on wines, movies and lots of rock and roll too. IMO opinion to much money has been spent on the minority bike owners ( who pay nothing back as do Car owners ) working directly against the wishes of the majority who do pay extra towards cleaner transportation with gas taxes and support the Clean Air Centres at considerable cost to themselves.
So good on Pratt, just like his takes on Rock'n Roll and the taste of wines he brought attention to the cyclist who make life so much more difficult to those that do adhere to the traffic regulations. It time some one outside of our PC world stood up and said some thing
His verbal rampage on Gregor Robertson ? I don't know this Robinson dude ;) :P

I honestly like David Pratt. I do think his civic opinions at times, were crazy but, for the most part, I too, agree with Big Daddy. I also liked the on-air persona of David Pratt, at least he always had something to say and give his opinions with conviction, whether you agreed with them or not.

Say what you want about David Pratt, every single time I saw the guy out,(usually at Fortes bar section) he was nice to me and my companions and always bought us a round of drinks. He was also very helpful to those up and coming in the broadcast biz or wanting to break into the industry. His on-air persona, had a lot of David Pratt himself in it, but for the most part, the man was a gentle bear.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

LotusBlossom wrote: Say what you want about David Pratt, every single time I saw the guy out,(usually at Fortes bar section) he was nice to me and my companions and always bought us a round of drinks. He was also very helpful to those up and coming in the broadcast biz or wanting to break into the industry. His on-air persona, had a lot of David Pratt himself in it, but for the most part, the man was a gentle bear.
Then good luck to Dave in his off air life and that creepy, child molester laugh.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

LotusBlossom wrote: This is a town of Canuckleheads and Lions fans. No one really gets into anything but MMA outside of that. There is an MLB Baseball team 2 and half hours down the i-5 but nada about them. Why? To be honest, I don't think much of the Lower Mainland knows much about baseball or any other sport for that matter.
Its too bad Seattle sports teams have been so brutal for so long. You see a lot of casual sports fans jumping on the bandwagon when a team is doing well, which is especially important when you're further out in the hinterlands, like Vancouver is to Seattle. I'd like to get behind the Mariners or Seahawks, but when they suck there's just no way I could muster enough interest to follow. I for one need a geographical connection to root for a team, so I can't just jump behind the Yankees or New England.

I still treasure my Ken Griffey Jr. rookie card though...
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

ukcanuck wrote: Live by the sword, er pen...can you imagine how Pratt would have gone on and on and on if it was Brian Burke that crossed the credibility line like that?
Or the mayor?

He is a first class clown, but some people like clowns, so he has a career. I don't see any reason why he couldn't just transfer to non sports radio, it is not like he brought any actual insight into anything.

Maybe a new format in the city: all Gregor, all the time!
Ropesauce
CC Rookie

Post by Ropesauce »

LotusBlossom wrote:

Say what you want about David Pratt, every single time I saw the guy out,(usually at Fortes bar section) he was nice to me and my companions and always bought us a round of drinks. He was also very helpful to those up and coming in the broadcast biz or wanting to break into the industry. His on-air persona, had a lot of David Pratt himself in it, but for the most part, the man was a gentle bear.
Good to hear that ,I don't care for Pratt's on-air schtik myself,too much music(Van Morrison or nothing),movie,Gregor,Burke,which aging actress would he or Taylor do, topics he knows little or nothing about,and his audience cares even less about his opinions on.

I hope when he resurfaces it's in another city.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Mondi wrote:LB, I presume you're a woman (and likely attractive).

The guy who does the Vancouver Canadians games on 1040 told a great story on-air about the first time he met David Pratt (at the Roxy). I won't repeat it here, but suffice to say it spoke volumes about Pratt in his private life.
I too know that story, I happen to know that dude that does the Canadians game: Nice guy, good dad, and very good for baseball in his city. He's a true Media Relations guy in all senses for the sport of baseball.

I actually met David Pratt when I was still in university and a cashier at a grocery store in the West End. I was also working p/t at a media conglomerate in the promotions field. David Pratt, always was willing to give me pointers moving up in the media world, and I'm not the only one that shares that sentiment. For those that have worked or know Pratt outside of his on-air work, we know that he's that 80's rule, at times pompous type of guy. But he always had a few minutes to talk about how the biz was going for us and he encouraged us to keep at it and gave pointers.

Yes, I am woman, and some might say I am probably even attractive, but Dave didn't just do stuff like that for me. He did it for others as well, mostly male. Sure he spends nights going to the Moose or the Roxy on his own, but from a professional standpoint, Pratt is a good guy in my books.
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

LotusBlossom wrote:
I actually met David Pratt when I was still in university and a cashier at a grocery store in the West End.
Was it a grocery store on Davie Street that was once owned by a Hells Angel who passed away on an airplane a few years ago ?
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

A nice little walk down memory lane with David Pratt :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DBwqmPsdE4
ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck »

ESQ wrote:A nice little walk down memory lane with David Pratt :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DBwqmPsdE4
Classic. two guys talking at the same time, holding onto their point with a death grip, and not listening to a word either one has said...where have I seen that before??
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:
I actually met David Pratt when I was still in university and a cashier at a grocery store in the West End.
Was it a grocery store on Davie Street that was once owned by a Hells Angel who passed away on an airplane a few years ago ?
I think you told that story on here once. lol No...the grocery store was down the hill ;)
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Mondi wrote:The problem I have with the "Canuck" and "Lion" talk and even the NHL/CFL talk on 1040 is that it rarely, if ever has anything to do with the on-ice / on-field product.

They talk at length about all matter of things related to the entertainment side of professional sports, and by entertainment I mean Entertainment Tonight type matters. The bulk of coverage relates to:

Contract negotiations
Collective bargaining
Issues with the NHL management
Head shots (or whatever political issue is important at that time: fighting, taunting...etc.)
Social Media (i.e. player's twitter accounts)
How the players interact with the media (nothing better than a bunch of media guys griping about players that aren't good interview or won't give them the time of day)
What other media are doing (i.e. Pratt reading Willis' column and speaking about it)
Uniform changes
Stadium changes (or the fan experience in a stadium)
Draft choices
Trades
How fans behave at games
Great broadcasters and journalists (i.e. giving props to others in their business)

Theses guys rarely ever speak about the Xs and Os of the game, likely because they don't understand it. When the Nucks went of 0/30 in the finals on the PP do you think Pratt or Taylor could explain the issue? Heck no. Just talking about media coverage of the Canucks...etc. Honestly, if they do another show about how great Jim Robson's call in game 6 of 1994 was, I think I'll puke. They don't know the game, sadly I think that is the main problem with the station (outside of the political and non-sports related rants).
Very well put. I feel the exact same way.

I refer to that stuff as the soap opera side of the game. The stuff that overwhelmed the finals with "journalists" running back and forth between goalies like school girls, anxiously waiting to tell them what the other mean girl said about them. And then them all guessing as how one guy is in another's head, or how their actions pissed of the other team and motiviated them to play harder, etc.

Gossip. Embarassing gossip. That's all it was.

And I don't buy the argument that that is what sells. It's all that's ever been offered, so how do we know actual game and strategy talk wouldn't sell?

That's why I advocate for a real former player who can give us real insight into the actual game. Sure he can get into the soap opera crap every day to keep gossip kids happy, but give us some actual game talk, please. I'd buy.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Larry Goodenough wrote: That's why I advocate for a real former player who can give us real insight into the actual game. Sure he can get into the soap opera crap every day to keep gossip kids happy, but give us some actual game talk, please. I'd buy.
Guys like Kevin Weekes. :)
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

dhabums wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote: That's why I advocate for a real former player who can give us real insight into the actual game. Sure he can get into the soap opera crap every day to keep gossip kids happy, but give us some actual game talk, please. I'd buy.
Guys like Kevin Weekes. :)
In Larry's defense, he said "real former player", nothing said much about being a "goalie of the future" having to qualify :P