Team 1040 does not renew (i.e. fires) Big Daddy's Contract

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Team 1040 does not renew (i.e. fires) Big Daddy's Contra

Post by coco_canuck »

I don't much listen to the TEAM any longer, and I'm certainly not a Pratt fan, but that's a big blow to the TEAM. Whether you like Pratt or not, the ratings for his show were through the roof and captivated a large portion of the lower mainland's sports fans. It's the lowest common denominator sports radio as far as I'm concerned, but it seemingly caters to a large audience that eats it up or can't help themselves to listen and curse the show.

It seems the TEAM is banking on sports fans tuning into their station regardless because they're the Canucks home and they dominate the city's sports scene.

Where this may bite them in the ass is if the rumblings of Rogers eyeing the Canucks radio rights at the end of this up coming season are true. If Rogers with their fat wallets scoop up Pratt and outbid the TEAM, the stage may be set for them to open up a sports station of their own, in all likelihood another FAN sports station.

We'll see what happens but this may be a big blow to the TEAM and those hating Pratt may hear him on the Vancouver airwaves once again in the not too distant future.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

The writing was on the wall when Ursala started doing commercials by herself.
2011..... the one that got away.
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Pratt is a fat lump of shit for sure and a weak sportscaster. However ,the only guys better than him at that shitty station are B-mac and Moj . Big Daddy although a waterhead is easily better than Price, Taylor, Rintoul, Patterson and Crotchford.

Pretty sad day indeed. The friday gig with Patterson and TDM are actually painful now. I hate Patterson with a passion ......you can almost feel TDM wanting to come through the radio and punch out his lights.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
NorCalNucks
CC Rookie

Post by NorCalNucks »

Pratt who? :lol:
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I ceased listening to his program several years ago as I found him and Taylor becoming tiresome and redundant. The same conversations everyday about birthdays/this day in history that took place the years prior, and I only listened part-time whenever I was in a vehicle. The schtick got old, and I for one am happy for the new direction.

Fact is, there's a real "old boys club" going on at that station that I not only found tiresome, but obnoxious with the arrogance that some of those guys (Pratt/McDonald/Taylor/Price of the more prominent) increasingly exuded. This is the main reason for my lack of interest ultimately, where I was no longer compelled with the conversation and guests interviewed, rather, was instead increasingly annoyed with the hosts.

Losing Pratt, to me, doesn't seem like a huge blow to the station, but, a cost-saving house cleaning enabling them to bring in a new approach to keep the airwaves fresh.

Patterson however, is a douche and hope he is just a stop-gap.

Time to think outside the box and introduce some more "experts" who bring a lot more to the table than just bike lane rants, Roxy stories and Burke moans.

Finally, something positive after a seemingly endless summer of negativity.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Fuck.

I never liked Pratt when I lived in Vancouver. I'm not a huge fan today for that matter.

I only started listening to the TEAM out of necessity. The podcasts on my walk to work are a nice glimpse into the Vancouver sports scene.

Having listened pretty regularly for the last 2 years, I've got to admit that I'll actually miss Pratt :shock:

I mean he's so so annoyingly stubborn and has some pretty ridiculous opinions but listening to Jeff Patterson.... I just can't do it. I really can't. If they replaced him with Bmac, then I'd definitely be fine but the Patterson and "Freaky News" guy is just fucking painful. I stopped listening, I hate it that much.

As much grief as the media personalities get in Vancouver, there's definitely a hierarchy of entertainment. I can't remember who said it here (it was probably Blob) but Patterson's got a voice fit for 1920s radio. I pretty much only like Taylor and BMac from the radio show. Moj knows his shit but I find him boring to listen to. Ferraro's great to when he's actually around!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

rockalt wrote: I can't remember who said it here (it was probably Blob) but Patterson's got a voice fit for 1920s radio.
Actually that was me :oops:

Its unfortunate that Pratt's show was huge for ratings, but lets be honest, that was only due to being on for the afternoon rush hour. Would anybody (in Vancouver anyway) actually turn on the radio at 3 to catch what Pratt had to say? Well, Thinker probably would.

I'd be happy with Ferraro or BMac taking his place, but I'd be THRILLED if the Kurtenbloggers took it up. I find having 3 hosts to be much more enjoyable, because they have more to say and don't need to fill a half hour with celebrity birthdays and re-cycle the stories every hour.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

I wonder if this the mayor's fault too?

Good riddance to a know-nothing douchebag blowhard.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

I'm also happy the hipster dufus is gone.

I would appreciate an actual former player of any of the major sports doing the afternoons.

At the very least, he could speak from actual experience on the field of play and in a professional locker room.

Instead, it's been a steady stream of Pratt, Taylor, MacDonald, Rintoul, Price, who have some beer league hockey or small time university sports on their resume at the most. They're only guessing at how pro sports functions - just like I would be guessing, so why would I want to hear what they have to say.

I like Ferraro because I know he's telling me what's really up. He's not guessing or playing up the soap opera parts of hockey to mask his lack of in-depth knowledge of the game.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Good decision...yahoo!

No more listening to Pratt rant about bike lanes, mayors, riots and non sports issues. 1040 is supposed to be all sports...if I want politics I'll listen to 980. I listened to 1040 in spite of him, not because of him...but even this diehard fan had to turn him off. No more listening to Pratt start an interview with: "welcome to the show (insert guest), what do you think of (insert topic), because THIS is what I think". He somehow forgot that the job of an interviewer is to showcase his guest, not bounce his opinion off his guest.

Good riddance!
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

When Pratt and Taylor were on Sportsnet I enjoyed the show. Sure Pratt went on some points sometimes that were boring but overall I liked the show. What about Rick Ball?
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

dhabums wrote:I wonder if this the mayor's fault too?

Good riddance to a know-nothing douchebag blowhard.
Absolutely Pratt is a moron . But so are the rest of the hosts at that station and most of them are worse than he. At least Pratt did have a c-hair of attitude and personality. That station has enough "talent" to put one or maybe two daily shows on the air, and yet they try and spread out the "talent" over 16 fucking hours when 4-6 would be enough.

How much Canucks and Lions do people want to talk ? Because it's not like any of these assheads actually knows anything other than NHL hockey and CFL semi pro football and even then their knowledge is suspect at best.

In a perfect world the TEAM would have had a morning show from 6 - 9 and an afternoon show from 3 -6. |Fill in from 9-3 with American programming for people who actually like things other than the Canucks and Lions and like hosts with a bit of talent.

Really after B-Mac and Moj it thins out pretty fucking quick. Taylor is a legend in his own mind and hasn't been remotely amusing since the late 80's. Patterson and Mclutchey are just brutal and have the personality of a wet mop. They both have horrific voices as well. As I said in another post it's a shame that Lee Powell and Farhan Lalji don't do more radio because they'd be among the best on that station.

I don't really listen to 1040 much more than an hour a day if that in hockey season but now it will likely be even less than that. Thank Christ for 1410 and Rome and Patrick from 9 - 3.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Rudypoo
CC Veteran

Post by Rudypoo »

ESQ wrote: I'd be happy with Ferraro or BMac taking his place, but I'd be THRILLED if the Kurtenbloggers took it up. I find having 3 hosts to be much more enjoyable, because they have more to say and don't need to fill a half hour with celebrity birthdays and re-cycle the stories every hour.
If anything I'd like to see/hear less of the Kurtenbloggers. Too much more would be ruining a great thing.
rufus
AHL Prospect

Post by rufus »

I really have to wonder if his attacks on Gregor Robertson and touting of Susan Anton (sp) had something to do with this. I sent several emails to the Team letting them know that I was turning the station off every time he started into his rant and I wonder if others might have sent that same message. If I want to listen to politics there are plenty of other venues.

I did listen regularly as I'm in a deadly boring job and need to have the diversion sports talk radio provides and didn't mind Pratt and Taylor. Is Taylor now gone as well or just off on another vacation? This new guy is pretty much the worst I've ever heard and I just hope he's an interim replacement pending someone stepping in for Pratt.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

For a city that lives and breathes Hockey how come B-Mac..a self confessed baseball first man, even gets on the air in Vcr. beats me. I'd ship this guy back to his old university where he longs to be, so can reminisce about his glory days playing Uni ball. Moj is a football man only Ferraro can say he's a hockey first and fore most guy. And I certainly enjoy his insights, But I suspect he has to good a job doing TV already. The selection is pretty thin

The thing about Pratt is at very least he understands that he is supposed to be entertaining as well as aware of sports.
cheers