Roberto Luongo regrets comments

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

trouble

Roberto Luongo regrets comments

Post by trouble »

Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo says he regrets questioning Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas' goaltending style following Game 5 of the Stanley Cup finals.

The comments sparked a media circus and also seemed to serve as motivation for the Bruins, who would chase Luongo from the net in Game 6 with three goals on eight shots in a 5-2 win and then score four on him in the series-clinching 4-0 Game 7 win.

"If I could do it again, I wouldn't say it," Luongo said in a recent interview with Radio-Canada.ca. "I didn't want to create the buzz that it did. After the fifth game, I had never been so emotional and I got carried away."

Thomas had come out of the crease to play the shooter on the game-winning goal in the Canucks' 1-0 overtime Game 5 win that put them up 3-2 in the series. He made the initial save on Kevin Bieksa but then was beat by Maxim Lapierre on the rebound. Luongo questioned Thomas' positioning on the play.

"It's not hard (to stop) if you're playing in the paint," he said at the time. "It's an easy save for me, but if you're wandering out, that's going to happen."

He then tried to explain those comments a day later but just ended up adding fuel to the fire by implying Thomas hadn't been complimenting him enough.

"I said also that he might make some saves that I don't, so I was just saying on that particular play I would have played it different and that's the difference between me and him," Luongo said.

"I've been pumping his tires ever since the series started and I haven't heard one nice thing he had to say about me, so that's the way it is," he said.

Thomas later quipped prior to Game 6 that he was unaware he was supposed to praise Luongo.

"I guess I didn't realize it was my job to pump his tires," Thomas said with a grin. "I guess I have to apologize for that. I still think I'm the goaltender on the union side and I stick with all the other goalies. In being one and knowing what it takes to perform at this level and with this amount of pressure, I understand to a certain extent what every other goaltender is going through."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/i ... tim-thomas
I hate to dig up the past and make you all relive the nightmare, But It's good to see Lou is learning from his mistakes
Rudypoo
CC Veteran

Re: Roberto Luongo regrets comments

Post by Rudypoo »

Glad you dug this up.

At the time, those comments by Lou really bothered me because it felt to me like he has lost focus. I guess this pretty much confirms that to be true....as if his performance in the remaining two games wasn't enough proof.

It's just another example of how mentally fragile our #1 is. He really thought the series was in the bag after 3 wins.

It's all well and good to chalk this up to a learning experience for him. But it's still unbelievable to me that he wouldn't know better, and unfortunately he and the rest of the Canucks may have blown their only opportunity to even be in such a position.
CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by CrzyCanuck »

I still laugh at the comments about "Thomas not praising him enough".
What is that bs, really??

You need compliments from everyone including your fricking opponent? I think your career contract is already doing a lot of praises, don't you think?

No wonder people say our goalie has such an ego.

Anyway, hopefully lessons learned. Shut up and play your game.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

It was a dumb statement by Luongo (following game 5). That much was obvious as soon as it left his mouth. He has been distracted from focus on his game responsibilities before, and this statement was an immediate cause for concern.

It was dissappointing that Canuck management did not ensure that Luongo was well coached on what to say to the press. The Canuck managment & spin doctors may have pandered to Luongo's ego at the expense of resticting his statements.

Luongo has a passion to win, but sometimes it seems he forgets his limitations.

This (recent) recantation is a good sign.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Rudypoo wrote:It's just another example of how mentally fragile our #1 is. He really thought the series was in the bag after 3 wins.
More worrisome than that is the fact he had 19 other teammates who thought the series was in the bag after 2 wins. Pathetic effort in games 3 & 4. Most pathetic display by a team in the final 2 I think I've ever seen. Spoiled the thrill of the ride for this fan; '94 was 10x more satisfying in every way! ...and that ended in heartbreak so that gives an indication of how I felt about this year's run.

Luongo showed his lack of focus back in that Anaheim series....coming off a God-like performance against Dallas he clearly lost focus on that Niedermayer OT goal....not that we were going to win or anything but that seemed to be a turning point in his career that he hasn't recovered from....or else it exposed a major flaw in his game. Either way, have the Canucks done enough to correct it? Has Lu?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Rudypoo wrote:At the time, those comments by Lou really bothered me because it felt to me like he has lost focus.
Life can be distracting... babies, bathroom breaks, second guessing referees, being up 2 games to 0 in the finals, the price of hair gel sky rocketing........

At the end of the day I'm pro Lou. A little concerned about the mental breakdowns and not crazy about the term of his contract; but I believe he can and will win a cup with Vancouver, he's comes with a decent cap hit and is a respected leader in the room.
2011..... the one that got away.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Poor Lou, I think his greatest enemy is himself. He tends to jinx himself. He's not the type that can really backup the trash talk. I just hope he learns to shut up and just go out there and quietly play his game. Maybe he can take a page out of Tom Barasso and never talk to the media @ all. :P
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Poor Lou, I think his greatest enemy is himself. He tends to jinx himself. He's not the type that can really backup the trash talk. I just hope he learns to shut up and just go out there and quietly play his game. Maybe he can take a page out of Tom Barasso and never talk to the media @ all. :P
At times it wouldn't be a bad idea.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Yeah seems like his mouth is always a step ahead of his brain. The unfortunate part is it gives us a glimpse of his thought process and how he sees the world and hockey in particular ;)

I'm wondering if a second season of Luongos new style will bring an improvement
cheers
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Fred wrote:Yeah seems like his mouth is always a step ahead of his brain. The unfortunate part is it gives us a glimpse of his thought process and how he sees the world and hockey in particular ;)

I'm wondering if a second season of Luongos new style will bring an improvement
I'm hoping for the best as well. It's apparent that Roland Melanson's work with Luongo and Schneider has improved their efficiency between the pipes and with the drastic movement change, it has lowered both chances of injury. I wonder if TC Carling can do just as good of job making sure that Luongo says more appropriate comments ;)
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

Luongo's comments after game 5 gave me a flashback to an old nightmare.

Bertuzzi's 2003 comments to the press, in the second round series against MInnesota.

Bulletin board material for the opposing team. Distraction opportunity for your own.
ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck »

Is it me or does it seem rather hypocritical to in one breath say that the media coverage during the final was one-sided, biased, ignorant and down right insulting to the intelligence of all who watched and then hang Roberto out to dry for the comments he made? As I remember it, what he said about the guy at the other end wasn't that inflammatory until the media personality wannabe's were done spinning it.
However, I do agree with the idea that RL should stop being so affable with the media, if I am him, from now on all questions would be answered with the middle finger
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

ukcanuck wrote:Is it me or does it seem rather hypocritical to in one breath say that the media coverage during the final was one-sided, biased, ignorant and down right insulting to the intelligence of all who watched and then hang Roberto out to dry for the comments he made? As I remember it, what he said about the guy at the other end wasn't that inflammatory until the media personality wannabe's were done spinning it.
However, I do agree with the idea that RL should stop being so affable with the media, if I am him, from now on all questions would be answered with the middle finger

EBL's..

every last one of them.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

ukcanuck wrote:Is it me or does it seem rather hypocritical to in one breath say that the media coverage during the final was one-sided, biased, ignorant and down right insulting to the intelligence of all who watched and then hang Roberto out to dry for the comments he made? As I remember it, what he said about the guy at the other end wasn't that inflammatory until the media personality wannabe's were done spinning it.
Sleazy media tactics rarely excuse players from being responsible for what they say. Sometimes you are blind sided, but that's not the case here. He was asked for an opinion.

"It's an easy save for me, but if you're wandering out, that's going to happen."
"I've been pumping his tires ever since the series started and I haven't heard one nice thing he had to say about me, so that's the way it is."

The statements seem arrogant. The press, predictably, ran with it. Player's and (to some extent) the organization are responsible for what players say. That's why clubs have spin doctors.

Luongo's play didn't cost us the series, (he's good in the net) but that doesn't excuse arrogant player statements. Statements that can make it more difficult for the team to maintain focus.

Hope he has learned something.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

sagebrush wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:I
The statements seem arrogant.
You'd be correct most of the time if you said this after ANY comment RL makes regarding himself.