Rypien passes away

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Rypien passes away

Postby ClamRussel » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:15 pm

So sad...count me in w/ the people who were upset he didn't resign w/ the Canucks....exactly what we were missing in the playoffs esp the finals. Still I was hopeful he'd turn it around w/ the Jets. R.I.P. Ryper!
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Postby trouble » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 pm

Very sorry to hear the news, One of my all time favorite players to watch,The Guy was a pitbull, Scared the crap out of many Hockey Players when skating around the ice looking for a partner.

I was sad to hear he was not resigned by the Canucks but even sadder to hear i will never see him play again

My thoughts go out to His family and friends

RIP Rypper, You will be missed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r72PTMZln-8
trouble

Postby Arbour » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:39 am

Sad, sad news. Condolences to Rick's family and friends.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby porp » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:43 am

It shocked me to see his passing in the news today, I had hopes that things could come back together for him with the Jets.
porp
CC Veteran

Postby Fred » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:50 am

What a tragedy, a young man that's achieved so much in his short life. I hope his family & friends can remember the good times and celebrate his life. While I talked to Smyl on one occassion he told me the tough guy roll is the toughest job in the league.RIP Ripper
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby KeyserSoze » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:58 am

Hockey Widow wrote:Too many concussions and too much brain damage and too much depression as a result. What a sad day.

Did Rypien ever even suffer a concussion in the NHL?

---

The guy has obviously been battling his share of demons for some time now. One of the few Canucks that could literally get you out of your seat. He will be missed, RIP.

http://youtu.be/QhhOqo-GvZo
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby dbr » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:49 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Too many concussions and too much brain damage and too much depression as a result. What a sad day.

Did Rypien ever even suffer a concussion in the NHL?

I was wondering the same thing yesterday.

In 2011 it's tempting to wonder whether Rypien suffered concussions or head injuries that were unreported throughout his career and whether that was a major factor in his life and now death; certainly there is a real link between head injuries and subsequent mental health issues (and other issues as well, with aggressive behaviour for example) even if Rypien does not match the profile we've seen so much of former players struggling badly well after the end of their careers.

But on the other hand Ryp was such a strong technical fighter, it almost seems believable that he never got KO'd in his career based on the shows he put on at the NHL level.

All we can say at this point is that the Rypien family lost a son and brother, Coleman lost a citizen, and the NHL lost a player and fearless warrior in what should have been the prime of his career and life. Regardless of the root cause Rick evidently had a harder time getting by than most and eventually simply could not.

I would echo similar sentiments that Canucks fans everywhere were still rooting for Ryp regardless of the fact that he and the organization had already parted ways, and we're all saddened to see him pass on. I hope that whatever issues seemed to get in the way of RR's life, he was aware of such a huge group of people pulling for him. It's not enough on its own, but it's something.
dbr
CC Legend

Postby Topper » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:00 am

demons 2, battlers 0
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby dbr » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:07 am

Seems like they always win in the end; the best the battlers can hope for is to keep them from running up the score, really.
dbr
CC Legend

Postby rats19 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:13 am

fights over Rick...R.I.P.
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Listercat » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:15 am

A sad day for the Rypien Family, the Canucks family and hockey fans in general.

Ryp played the game hard but not cheap and backed down from no one on skates. Unfortunately. there was something within that tortured him and finally got the best of the Ripper.

Condolences to the Rypien family and the people of the Crow. A good citizen has been lost.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Tciso » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:36 am

Wow. Totally sad day all around. RIpper, We'll miss you, and the Canucks will never have another #37 like you.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Zedlee » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:38 am

I'm heartbroken over this news. Rypien, by all accounts, was a loyal and well regarded teammate...also a real warrior who never backed down from anyone. I feel terrible for his family and friends, but I hope now he has found the peace he was seeking in life. RIP Rick.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Rayxor » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:41 am

Wow.

Sad to hear that news. We knew he had some demons to fight and he was a fighter to be sure. Could be that they finally got him.

He made the best of his limited talent and got to live the dream of many kids with much more skill. Kudos to him for that and condolences to his family and friends.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Eddy Punch Clock » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:46 am

Tciso wrote:Wow. Totally sad day all around. RIpper, We'll miss you, and the Canucks will never have another #37 like you.

I doubt there will be another #37. Out of the 6 numbers that the Canucks probably won't use again only #16 was a feel good story for me. :(

I think both Winnipeg and Vancouver honour him in some way at their respective home openers. Maybe a shoulder patch on the Canuck jerseys. I doubt Winnipeg does the shoulder patch thing as that franchise has already done that with the #37 in the past.
---------------------
Just found this:

Jaffray said he'd spoken to Rypien earlier this summer. He said they chatted about going to Vancouver to watch a game of the Stanley Cup final between the Canucks and Boston.

"When I talked to him then, he sure was excited about this fall already," Jaffray said. "He didn't want to go to that finals game in Vancouver. He said he wanted to think about bringing that Cup to Winnipeg.

"He said to me that we should both sign in Winnipeg and have the Cup party there. He signed, and so did I. I don't know the details of how or why this happened today, but this is a tragedy."

Jaffray said he and Rypien frequently laughed this spring, again as roommates.
2011..... the one that got away.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat