Rypien passes away

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Rypien passes away

Postby Benjo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:50 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Curious to know, if it was Rypien who didn't want to play in Vancouver, get a fresh new start with another team and city or that Gillis and company wanted to part ways with him.

I believe his love for Winnipeg as well as his close relationship with Heisinger drew him back to the 'Peg. Not that Gillis and AV weren't in his corner but I don't think they would try to outbid Winnipeg on this one. This is a deal where the mental well being of the player came first.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby LotusBlossom » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:52 pm

There were offers for more money elsewhere, but Rypien and his agent chose Winnipeg.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Arachnid » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:50 pm

Mike Gillis, the Vancouver Canucks’ general manager, spoke to the media after the nearly two-hour service and said mental health issues need to be addressed in a more public manner.

“I don’t think we can be afraid to talk of the issues he went through.

I know he wanted that to make sure we can do more for someone else,” Gillis said. “Rick suffered from depression. When he was in an environment that he could control, he was fine, he was great. When he got into an environment he couldn’t control then he had great difficulty. We challenged it every step of the way.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le2136233/

Can we please talk about this now?!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby dhabums » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:38 am

ESQ wrote:I've been looking for the last few days, maybe someone here can help me out?

I remember on the other site seeing a photo of Rypien, either in the minors or junior, fighting the biggest mofo on the ice (looked like it could have been Boogard but you couldn't see his number). But they way Rypien was crouching down to launch his attack, he looked about 2 feet shorter than his opponent. Its one of my all-time favourite hockey photos, but I can't find it anywhere now.

Anybody else remember seeing this?

Lane Manson?
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby KeyserSoze » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:33 pm

A few other ex-NHL'ers share their experience with depression...

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Batt ... story.html
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:41 am

MG and the Canucks planing on doing something for depression awareness and to tell Rypien's story. Good read.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canu ... story.html

Sounds like his death hit a lot of Canucks very hard. Its good to know he was so well regarded and so well cared for. Makes me proud to be a Canucks fan to know he wasn't Bobby Clarked away because he had an illness.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Maxwell Edison » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:27 pm

Good for Gillis and the Canucks organization as a whole - being able to put resources and more importantly, time, energy and attention towards overcoming the stigma associated with mental illnesses is admirable. Often times when something like this happens to a public figure it is swept under the carpet, not discussed and quickly slips from peoples consciousnesses and people blame the victim/client/person (Rypien) for what happened. Being able to draw attention to mental illnesses and hopefully reduce the stigma associated with them may just be his greatest accomplishment in life.

On a different note, I was watching some CanucksTV video and it was that person who wrote the number 37 on her wrist to remember Rypien and how she did it to remember Raymond after his injury, I don't know why but that just made me laugh for some reason as to how melodramatic some people can be about a sports figure being injured.
Maxwell Edison
CC Rookie

Postby LotusBlossom » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:16 am

Maxwell Edison wrote:...

On a different note, I was watching some CanucksTV video and it was that person who wrote the number 37 on her wrist to remember Rypien and how she did it to remember Raymond after his injury, I don't know why but that just made me laugh for some reason as to how melodramatic some people can be about a sports figure being injured.

Ah I remember that about the fan who wrote that on her wrist and had about at least another 20 people join her at the memorial at the Plaza of Rogers Arena. I was there and was curious as to what was that all about, so I snuck a peek and at the time, for myself, didn't really think of anything of it. But the media hounds that were in attendance had all their photographers take pictures of what was going on in this circle.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby vic » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:57 pm

Great video put together by TSN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOZkGlrJVmQ

My apologies if this is already posted in another thread - I couldn't find it..
vic
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Rumsfeld » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:06 pm

Love me some Rypien.

BAMFs recognize BAMFs.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Previous

Return to Canucks Corner Chat