Predictions for 2011-12

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Predictions for 2011-12

Postby dhabums » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:17 pm

Scintillator wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
Luongo fluctuates from a stretch of good games to horrible games in the playoffs... and the horrible ones usually occur when it's win or go home time.

Wonder how one would express that as a statistic... it's really the difference between good and great.

The international unit for level of frustration is a Luongo, isn't it?
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Cornuck » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:55 pm

dhabums wrote:

I thought it was a Cloutier.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Rumsfeld » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:58 pm

Cornuck wrote:
dhabums wrote:

According to the Fecesinthesheets scale (established April 2002), 1 Cloutier = 2.5 Luongos. Or thereabouts.
Registered mammyrammer
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Meds » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:15 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
dhabums wrote:

According to the Fecesinthesheets scale (established April 2002), 1 Cloutier = 2.5 Luongos. Or thereabouts.

I have to disagree. The reverse of that is more accurate. Cloutier was an underrated goaltender who was never considered to be among the top 10 in the league (at least not on any regular basis). Cloutier let in a whiffle puck from center in a series in which the team had a 2-0 lead. He did not lose the series in the subsequent games, the whole team shat the bed, and it was against Detroit when they were at the height of their dominance.

Luongo, on the other hand, has collapsed in 3 straight playoff years. He may not have let in a shot from center, but he has certainly screwed the proverbial pooch on many easy goals and against teams of lesser caliber than the Red Wing's of 2002. Luongo is also widely considered to be one of the top 5 goaltenders in the NHL.

Therefore, it certainly would take several Cloutiers to equal 1 Luongo.

:P
Meds
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Rumsfeld » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:03 pm

I have to disagree. The reverse of that is more accurate. Cloutier was an underrated goaltender who was never considered to be among the top 10 in the league (at least not on any regular basis). Cloutier let in a whiffle puck from center in a series in which the team had a 2-0 lead. He did not lose the series in the subsequent games, the whole team shat the bed, and it was against Detroit when they were at the height of their dominance.

Luongo, on the other hand, has collapsed in 3 straight playoff years. He may not have let in a shot from center, but he has certainly screwed the proverbial pooch on many easy goals and against teams of lesser caliber than the Red Wing's of 2002. Luongo is also widely considered to be one of the top 5 goaltenders in the NHL.

Therefore, it certainly would take several Cloutiers to equal 1 Luongo.

Hmmm, a very intriguing hypothesis, Meds...
Registered mammyrammer
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dhabums » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:29 pm

Meds wrote:Cloutier let in a whiffle puck from center in a series in which the team had a 2-0 lead. He did not lose the series in the subsequent games, the whole team shat the bed, and it was against Detroit when they were at the height of their dominance.

That one goal is definitely overrated in the Cloutier bashing forums. (not that he doesn't deserve it) The 5th best captain in Canucks history didn't register a point after that goal. (maybe 1, my memory is fading) Bertuzzi, a colossal playoff failure in Vancouver did nothing. As bad as Cloutier could be, we had two excellent regular season guys doing nothing. Maybe we as Canucks fans should celebrate the regular season? Win the Pres, have a parade and move onto summer.

Meds wrote:Therefore, it certainly would take several Cloutiers to equal 1 Luongo.

In accordance with board policy, we will need to agree to disagree on the proper exchange rate. I say we let the market decide the value, not science nor government.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hank » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:36 pm

Cornuck wrote:
dhabums wrote:

A "Cloutier" (or "Cloots") is a unit of pressure it takes to float a beachball a distance of approximately 100 feet into a 4 foot by 6 foot space.
Hank
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Cornuck » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Hank wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
dhabums wrote:

A "Cloutier" (or "Cloots") is a unit of pressure it takes to float a beachball a distance of approximately 100 feet into a 4 foot by 6 foot space.

I was never any good at physics. :?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Hank » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:56 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Hank wrote:
Cornuck wrote:I thought it was a Cloutier.

I was never any good at physics. :?

Don't worry, neither was our man Dan :(
Hank
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby porp » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:11 pm

Hank wrote:A "Cloutier" (or "Cloots") is a unit of pressure it takes to float a beachball a distance of approximately 100 feet into a 4 foot by 6 foot space.

I feel compelled to bring up the fact that it was Nicklas fucking Lidström who beachballed Cloutier. Still, an [strike]exceptionally bad[/strike] ridiculous/justifiably-career-ending goal for the (video) record books, but it did come off of Lidström's stick.

I still kinda wish we had a nuclear deterrent like Clouts, who you couldn't count on to not to fuck you up. If Buffy elbowed Clouts like he did Lui, Buffy wouldn't still be in the league, overweight or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8YHuTs-C_w

(and there'd still be a prolonged legal panty-twisting over it)
porp
CC Veteran

Postby Cornuck » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:01 am

Predictions?

* We take the division, not the conference. Slow start and slow end to the regular season as the boys 'pace themselves' for the playoffs.
* Kesler and the twins will have great seasons (again).
* Luongo? He'll have his usual, reliable regular season. Playoffs will be better due the Canucks bringing in Reveen to work with Luongo before each game.
* Schnieder will be traded at the deadline to an eastern team. We'll get someone with decent hands to bury the multiple chances we generate (his name will not be Grabner). Cory then faces us in the Final.
* Hodgson will get his chance before Kesler comes back and then demand a trade. He'll be stuck in Wolf-town all year.

Oh - and I'll win the hockey pool and order a Kesler jersey.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby damonberryman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:56 am

One thing I can predict is that the constant ongoing never to be solved Lou debate will continue. That is a lock. The rest of my predictions are not but what the hell.

Teams' leading scorer will be from Sweden. Actually, that is a lock also.
Schneider will be traded
Lack will play in the playoffs in the NHL
We will get a mean player this year.
Pitt will be a beast all year with Crosby winning the scoring title by tons of points
The kid in Ottawa named Mika will win the Calder. (just watched him play and he is the real thing)
Philly will surprise many by being near the top. Giroux will score at least 90 points.
Jagr will be a success
OV will get badly injured this year. I hope this is wrong but I do not see how he can continue the style he plays and not get hurt
FLorida will be the most improved team in the NHL
Colorado will not finish last in the West
Toronto will make the playoffs
The Habs will not despite Price playing all star.
The Sens will trade Neil
Calgary will start the fire sale with Iggy going south
Oilers will improve but set a record for GAA
San Jose will lose a playoff to the Kings
Jensen will have a great year in the OHL
NYR will let down their loyal fans
damonberryman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby dbr » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:11 pm

Scintillator wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
Luongo fluctuates from a stretch of good games to horrible games in the playoffs... and the horrible ones usually occur when it's win or go home time.

Sad, but empirically true. :(

Actually, with one exception (a huge, colossal, exception of Stanley Cup Final Game 7 proportions) it is completely untrue.

Luongo put up his best games in this past playoff run when a loss would have put the Canucks behind in their series or eliminate them entirely, right up to that last game.

I'm not trying to say that Luongo shouldn't have taken a long look in the mirror after this spring's playoff run - I'd like to say he needs to improve but I don't know if that's in the cards - but if you want to have a discussion about how Luongo actually performed instead of how you feel like he performed then these generalizations don't help matters.

The fact is, Luongo's stinkers generally came when the Canucks had a chance to put an opponent away or take a stranglehold in a series; go back and look, except for the last games all of Luongo's terrible nights allowed the opponent back into the series.

If he had come through in those games maybe the extra rest might have made the difference in the finals. Who knows.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Rumsfeld » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:51 pm

I was referring to the last three playoffs, Dave. There were a couple of game sixes against the Hawks where I recall some less than stellar netminding...

*stabs Patrick Kane voodoo doll in eye with hot bobby pin*
Registered mammyrammer
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby LotusBlossom » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:52 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:I was referring to the last three playoffs, Dave. There were a couple of game sixes against the Hawks where I recall some less than stellar netminding...

*stabs Patrick Kane voodoo doll in eye with hot bobby pin*

Do it to his chest too! Might swell up the tic tacs he tries to pass off as one. :?
Didn't you know?I'm Front Page news! ;)
LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat