Predictions for 2011-12

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Re: Predictions for 2011-12

Post by LotusBlossom »

So Vegas say that Canucks are 5-1 odds to win the Cup this year.

As for our team, it's going to either be an 2nd round exit or a Cup win.

I won't predict injuries and team politics and drama, but that's the only prediction I am going to throw in this thread.

I am hoping for the latter prediction outcome.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Bleacher's report has put down their opinions on this..

Here's a summary:
10. Jannnik Hansen will score 50 points
He skates hard, has some good speed, and has shown he can score timely goals. It would not be a surprise to see him get some time, to start the year at least, on the second line with Ryan Kesler.

9. The Canucks will struggle out of the gate
History (The past three Octobers:a combined record of 16-15-2) and the injuries (see Edler, Kesler, and I guess, Raymond) will almost guarantee a slow start for the Canucks.

8. Mason Raymond will score less than 30 points
It's a no-brainer prediction. Heck, even if he were healthy I think he'd barely crack 30.

7. Cody Hodgson will not be a factor
Barring any miracle or some magical juice, Hodgson will not make the team.

6. Cory Schneider will not be traded
I agree with this. Having Schneider backing up our OCD kid is a very good insurance. Plus, Schneider is arguably the best backup out there right now.

5. Ryan Kesler's point production will drop
Hip-surgery, period.

4. Chris Tanev will crack the top four
Tremendous upside and poise will land him in the top 4.

3. Roberto Luongo will have another great season
Yup for sure. But whether he'll carry the team to the holy grail remains unknown.

2. Alex Burrows won't bite anyone
This year we will hear more about how disciplined the Canucks are going to play. This year Burrows will stick with it.
When he does he is a great player. He is a sniper, can kill penalties and plays with a lot of energy. When he doesn’t, he goes over the line and becomes a lightning rod to the opponents.
This season Burrows will learn from the biting incident and play a clean season, score lots of goals, and have another great year.

1. The Canucks will lose the western conference finals

Their Western Conference rivals have improved, and with the Finals hangover slowing them down a bit the Canucks will not repeat as Western Conference Champions.

They will have another tremendous year, however. They will win the Northwest Division handily and that will give them at least a third seed and home ice.

The Canucks will fall just short this year and will have to reload again in 2012.
Just for some fun while we are counting down to the preseason.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Southern_Canuck wrote: I wasn't surprised to see the positive prediction for Ballard from dhabums, also known as Ballard's only Norris Vote, but to see the entire board predict his success has me puzzled...

Did everyone see something in Ballard's performance last season that was a predictor of success in 2011-12... or is it just wishful thinking?

S_C
While I picked Ballard to have a good season this year, I should qualify that by saying it is contingent upon Vigneault. IF Gillis has/had a sit down with his coach and told him to quit playing favorites and utilize the team Gillis has built by applying player's strengths rather than trying to mold NHL vets (with more NHL on-ice time than Vigneault has btw) into what he envisions the ideal player to be at each position, and IF Vigneault listens, I think Ballard will make the most of it and be worth at least most of his cap hit to the team. Let's do the quick list for the guy.....

Skating: Check, in the top half of the league at least.
Stick/Puck control: Well above average for a defenseman.
Passing: Above average here too.
Shooting: Not a cannon, but not exactly Henrik Sedin either.
Checking: Ummm yeah he can, just ask every opponent who has gone ass over tea kettle courtesy of his hip.
Awareness: Pretty decent actually. Prone to jump up and pinch, but he has the wheels to get back most of the time.

According to Vigneault Aaron Rome is better than Ballard in all of those areas. :roll:

If Vigneault plays the same games with Ballard again and continues to give Rome, Tanev, and Alberts more ice-time than Ballard, then all optimistic predictions about Ballard go out the window.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

When Ballard played for the Coyotes I thought he was a real quality player, when MG traded for him I was impressed. What he showed last season was not the player I watched back then. He got the ice time he deserved, I was very disappointed. Originally drafted by Buffalo then onto the Coyotes, Florida, and now the Canucks. This is a game when you're rated by your last shift
cheers
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Fred wrote:When Ballard played for the Coyotes I thought he was a real quality player, when MG traded for him I was impressed. What he showed last season was not the player I watched back then. He got the ice time he deserved, I was very disappointed. Originally drafted by Buffalo then onto the Coyotes, Florida, and now the Canucks. This is a game when you're rated by your last shift
I'd say he got the ice time he deserved half of the time.

He couldn't win. Vigneault would throw him out there and when he played well he was rarely rewarded with more minutes, if he had a bad game (imagine that, having a bad game when you aren't getting many game minutes) he would end up in the press box while we were forced to suffer through the likes of Aaron Rome. Ballard is not the first act to come in and not live up to his billing under Vigneault's coaching prowess.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Mëds wrote:While I picked Ballard to have a good season this year, I should qualify that by saying it is contingent upon Vigneault. IF Gillis has/had a sit down with his coach and told him to quit playing favorites and utilize the team Gillis has built by applying player's strengths rather than trying to mold NHL vets (with more NHL on-ice time than Vigneault has btw) into what he envisions the ideal player to be at each position, and IF Vigneault listens, I think Ballard will make the most of it and be worth at least most of his cap hit to the team.
Yeah, 'cause the coach that helped the Sedins go to first liners and then All-Stars, took Kesler from a 3rd liner to star player, took Burrows from the ECHL to NHL 30 goal scorer, presided over Raymond's development to 25 goal scorer, coached Alex Edler's emergence as a top notch 2-way defenceman, helped Jannik Hansen become a legit 2/3 liner, revived Christian Ehrohoff's career as a top notch offensive defenceman, and coaxed Josh Green, Jan Bulis, Mike Weaver, Rory Fitzpatrick, Rick Rypien, Shane O'Brien, Aaron Rome, Tanner Glass, Raffi Torres, Chris Higgins, and Maxim Lapierre into excellent role players.

But somehow he doesn't know what he's doing with regard to Ballard. Riiiiggghhht.
Mëds wrote:According to Vigneault Aaron Rome is better than Ballard in all of those areas. :roll:

If Vigneault plays the same games with Ballard again and continues to give Rome, Tanev, and Alberts more ice-time than Ballard, then all optimistic predictions about Ballard go out the window.
With Vigneault, it's a matter of trust.

Do you accomplish the things he's asking for, or do you freelance, and think you know better than the coach what to do to fit in the gameplan?

Ballard has not earned the trust of a very good coaching staff, and in my opinion, it is all on him --- not Vigneault.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Southern_Canuck wrote: With Vigneault, it's a matter of trust.

Ballard has not earned the trust of a very good coaching staff, and in my opinion, it is all on him --- not Vigneault.

S_C
Also See:
Hodgson, Cody.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I predict the Canucks do not get to the finals in 2012, Anaheim beat them physically in the 2nd round and SJ finished them off to take the western Conference.

The other prediction I'll make is fans will use the excuse ...."Well we had a lot of injuries " yet again. This team is not built to absorb physical play.....IMO hence the long litany of injuries in the play-offs
cheers
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

As the eternal optimist (a requirement for we are all Canucks,) I am going to predict that the Canucks will start a lot faster than usual. Missing a few key players who will be rehabbing will leave space for certain prospects to rise to the ocasion and the Canucks will compete for first place in the division. Once all the injured players are back and the team firing on all cylinders, they will slowly climb the standings to sit in first place in the conference and will once again contend for the presidents trophy. With or without the first place finish, the Canucks will qualify for the playoffs again and will be the favourites in the first and second rounds, they will once again have to go through Chicago, LA, and San Jose, however they were able to get through these teams last year and will have that experience to lean on this year.
The key pieces that they seemed short on last season only really showed up in the final round against Boston and GMMG will have the year to find and acquire through trades at least one top 4 offensive defenceman and one top 6 forward who can hit,fight and intimidate. MG has the advantage of having trade bait that will be attractive to the bottom feeders. Any of the players from Vancouver will be players coming from a winning program and are at a premium...

Yeah, Yeah, I know, flaming fanboy post, however, even without any changes this team was almost good enough last spring and so far no other team has improved that much on paper so there is no reason to be a gloomy naysayer
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Or a pesimistic peter
Negative nancy
Gloomy glen
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

rats19 wrote:Or a pesimistic peter
Negative nancy
Gloomy glen

Any place for an Honest Harry ;)
cheers
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Fred wrote:
Negative nancy
Gloomy glen

Right beside humble hank...row 17..section 111
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

rats19 wrote:
Fred wrote:
Negative nancy
Gloomy glen
Honest hank, maybe shouldn't be making predictions in September...?
Right beside humble hank...row 17..section 111
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
Mëds wrote:While I picked Ballard to have a good season this year, I should qualify that by saying it is contingent upon Vigneault. IF Gillis has/had a sit down with his coach and told him to quit playing favorites and utilize the team Gillis has built by applying player's strengths rather than trying to mold NHL vets (with more NHL on-ice time than Vigneault has btw) into what he envisions the ideal player to be at each position, and IF Vigneault listens, I think Ballard will make the most of it and be worth at least most of his cap hit to the team.
Yeah, 'cause the coach that helped the Sedins go to first liners and then All-Stars, took Kesler from a 3rd liner to star player, took Burrows from the ECHL to NHL 30 goal scorer, presided over Raymond's development to 25 goal scorer, coached Alex Edler's emergence as a top notch 2-way defenceman, helped Jannik Hansen become a legit 2/3 liner, revived Christian Ehrohoff's career as a top notch offensive defenceman, and coaxed Josh Green, Jan Bulis, Mike Weaver, Rory Fitzpatrick, Rick Rypien, Shane O'Brien, Aaron Rome, Tanner Glass, Raffi Torres, Chris Higgins, and Maxim Lapierre into excellent role players.

But somehow he doesn't know what he's doing with regard to Ballard. Riiiiggghhht.

S_C
Frist of all, the Sedins were steadily improving every season from the time they arrived. They had a few years where they weren't showing marked improvement, but they have never truly regressed (to any notable extent) as players. They have worked on conditioning, and evolved into leaders as they matured and gained experience in the league. The only thing Vigneault can possibly be credited with in regards to the Twins is their somewhat improved ability to go to the dirty areas more often, however, nobody in their right mind would suggest that Vigneault has had a hand in their increased offensive production that has been the result of better passing and "Sedin magic".

Burrows evolved and developed defensively, but became a regular on our top line once he developed chemistry with the Sedins. His arrival as a top player on this team is due more in part to his own work ethic than it is to coaching. If he didn't learn to play with the Sedins he would be a 30-40 point winger with elite 3rd line potential. You don't see him putting up big numbers when he's on another line.....I stipulate that he has had some success with Kesler.

Kesler had all the tools to begin with. Linden, Naslund, and other former Canuck's all said as much. According to Kesler, it was Mats Sundin who was instrumental in his gaining confidence, taking on a leadership role and responsibility, and recognizing what it took to truly be effective game in and out at both ends of the rink. Vigneault's hard work and defense first mentality did benefit Kesler is a huge way as this style of hockey was right up Kesler's alley.

Mason Raymond scored 15 goals last year. He has, over the last 2 season put up an average of 21 goals. He is a career 0.22 gpg scorer who, judging by this past season's play, was likely a flash in the pan with his 25 goals in 2009-10. His playoff numbers are embarassing.

I have nothing to say that would disagree with your acknowledgment of Edler's development.

Hansen is the perfect type of player to develop under Vigneault. Hard work, combined with speed and a willingness to get it done in your own end first. He is an obvious candidate to make Vigneault look like an outstanding coach.

Bulis? Fitzpatrick? O'Brien? Are you kidding me? The first 2 are names the majority of fans could not wait to watch ride a one-way bus out of own. O'Brien, who had/has the potential to be a solid #4/5 blueliner who could stand up for his mates and play physical hockey in his own end, was let go and Vigneault (and GMMG) obviously didn't want to keep him around.

Green and Weaver? Haven't heard those names since they left the team. And I don't really recall hearing them much while they were here.

Rypien? Sad story. Truly sad.

Torres and Glass: Torres showed sparks of being a 3rd line player that you would want at any time on any team, but at other times he was a dud. Glass hustled pretty decently in the regular season but was a total non-factor in the playoffs. Both of these players have moved on, and not for significantly increased dollars.

Higgins managed to regain some of his Montreal form during his time here, and Lapierre was a welcome addition. The latter, however, is a player that fits the bill for Vigneault.....hardworking, willing to mix it up, and thinks grit and home-base first.

Aaron Rome? My jury is still out on him. He's fine in a limited role, but we all saw what happened when he played more than 12-15 minutes per game.

This Vigneault guy is also the coach that made it to the big dance behind the deepest team in the league and then was thoroughly out-coached by Claude Julien. Ignoring all other factors, the fact that we saw Boston change their game with little tweaks and adjustments just in between periods (to say nothing about a different focus between games), contrasted with our total lack of a different look in the face of a well positioned and aggressive defense, all points to a coach who was the benefactor of a well built team that he simply was ill-equipped to utilize when it came time to think outside the box.

I do not absolve Ballard of his responsibility and attitude or lack of discipline when it came to playing the team game, but even looking at a guy like Hodgson, and more pointedly at the departed Michael Grabner, shows that Vigneault is not a well-rounded coach. I don't think I'm the first to point out that Grabner excelled with the Islanders because he focused on being a scorer rather than a back-checking winger with great 3rd line potential. You need players to play at both ends of the ice, but you need to put players in a position to suceed using their strengths, and when it comes to guys who are not exactly AV's perfect cup of tea, they get left behind. I think that there were many games this past year that the team won in spite of their coach.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Quite a summary of points for the Canucks to handle if they want success this season, from Hockey Writers site

VANCOUVER—The Canucks organization and all of its incumbent players are eager to get started with the new NHL season. With the team coming within one win away from bringing home the Stanley Cup trophy, the team looks ahead to another trip to the playoffs, and eventually a return to the finals.

All the participants are aware that the hockey season is winding and demanding. Momentum can often turn from one shift to the other. Therefore, the Canucks know there is plenty of work ahead of them.

Here are 10 factors that can affect the Canucks bid for a Stanley Cup in 2011/2012 NHL Season:

1) Health and Injuries. Last season, the Vancouver Canucks used 13 different defensemen at some point of the regular season and playoffs. With so many newcomers entering the fold, the team struggled to play with consistency. If they want better success, staying healthy is crucial.

2) Art Ross Winners. Daniel and Henrik Sedin are the face of the franchise. Elder brother Henrik won the Art Ross and Hart Memorial Trophy in 2010. Younger brother Daniel followed suit with a strong year, winning the Art Ross and Ted Lindsay Award. The Canucks need both of these players to remain dominate five-on-five, and lead the powerplay.

3) Last line of Defense. The Vancouver media can be unforgiving at times when it comes to criticizing the goaltending of the hockey club. Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider were good enough to win the William Jennings Award in 2011 for least goals against during the regular season. However, when it counted the most, Roberto Luongo had trouble keeping the puck out of the net. That has to improve.

4) Coaching staff and game-planning. Alain Vigneault prefers to let the skaters figure out how to play sound defensively, before rushing the puck to generate scoring chances. The style the Canucks played was successful for the most part, but the team showed weaknesses slowing down the big bruisers like the Anaheim Ducks and Boston Bruins.

5) Physical and mental toughness. Last playoffs, the Canucks were outmatched physically by their opponents. In the Chicago series, the Canucks won whenever they out-hit the opposition, and lost when they were out-hit. Against the Boston Bruins, physicality boiled over, when the mean-spirited Bruins took the Canucks to school. Toughness must be addressed.

6) New additions or subtractions? During the off-season, Christian Ehrhoff agreed to contract with the Buffalo Sabres, $40 million over 10 years. Rugged winger, Raffi Torres, signed with the Phoenix Coyotes. Tanner Glass and Rick Rypien also departed. Management inserted Marco Sturm, Alexander Sulzer, Mark Mancari and Andrew Ebbett, hoping to add some elements they were lacking last season.

7) Top-six defense. The Canucks front office stressed the importance of preparing enough depth on defense to battle the rigors of an 82-game regular season schedule, and playoffs. Last year, they tested the defense depth 13-deep. This year, losing Christian Ehrhoff forces others to fill the void in the Top-six, and on the powerplay. Someone must step up.

8 ) Face-off Dominance. In 2010-2011, the Canucks were among the best teams in terms of face-off winning percentage, and face-off wins total. Led by free agent signing of Manny Malhotra, the team improved it’s puck-possession game by controlling the puck from the blow of the whistle. It made setting up plays easier, made penalty-killing easier, and it made goaltending a lot more comfortable. Look for this facet of the game continuing on to dictate success.

9) Versatility and Imposing Will. For the Canucks to beat teams in the Stanley Cup playoffs, the team must learn to adapt and impose their will on their opponents. Rather than adjusting to play other team’s style of hockey, the Canucks should dictate play by using their team speed, skill, and sound goaltending.

10) Do you believe in Hockey Gods? Luck plays a factor in all sports. Sometimes, one has to be good to be lucky, but in the case of hockey, getting a favourable bounce can really help the team advance further in competition. Timeliness of goals, bounces, breaks, injuries, and game-saving saves can be one of the intangible factors.
cheers