Jordan Schroeder Article

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Jordan Schroeder Article

Post by dbr »

I'm sure the management will have a close eye on that, and as we've had more or less the same strategy since Crow was the head coach on the big club, our preference to have the same system at both levels should be evident.

If McT wants to set himself up for an NHL head coaching job, I don't think he's going to plan to do it by butting heads with his boss all season long.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

dbr wrote:If McT wants to set himself up for an NHL head coaching job, I don't think he's going to plan to do it by butting heads with his boss all season long.

True :D
cheers
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mac T is first and foremost a team player. I don't see any problems are the horizon with him in Chicago. He is good with the young guys, unlike AV. He knows his job is to have the players ready to step into the line up if needed and lets not forget he won't be going it alone.
The only HW the Canucks need
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Madcombinepilot wrote:My concern is that he will be bringing his own system to the Wolves. One of the biggest assets that the Canucks have had for the last several years is that our farm team has played the exact same system as us. This has allowed us an extra advantage with our prospects being called up during the season. (remember how Alberts looked when he was traded here, as opposed to Tanev when he was called up?). If Mac T comes in and coaches his way, and not the system way, that could cause us a bunch of grief the next year when we are using 39 different roster players because of injury ......
Gillis dictates what system is played by the personnel he brings in, the proof is in the pudding. While AV is a defense first coach, the players he has to work with all boast a strong two-way mindset.

If/when MacT comes back to the NHL, his coaching style will likely have evolved from his Oiler Days, and if it is indeed with Vancouver, I fully expect him to carry the same responsible, two-way skating style the current staff employs.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hockey Widow wrote:Mac T is first and foremost a team player. I don't see any problems are the horizon with him in Chicago. He is good with the young guys, unlike AV. He knows his job is to have the players ready to step into the line up if needed and lets not forget he won't be going it alone.
I'm curious why you (or anyone here ftm) believe Veenyo lacks in player development abilities. Is it because he's so committed to the Sedins/Kesler/Burrows guys, that he doesn't pay mind to Gillis' young additions?

Was it not AV who brought along the Edler, Raymond, Hansen wave, following the aforementioned Burr/Kes/Bieksa core?

With which players (current or former) has he failed to 'develop' or to get the most out of?
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

BladesofSteel wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Mac T is first and foremost a team player. I don't see any problems are the horizon with him in Chicago. He is good with the young guys, unlike AV. He knows his job is to have the players ready to step into the line up if needed and lets not forget he won't be going it alone.
With which players (current or former) has he failed to 'develop' or to get the most out of?
here we go....
Magic40

Although, to be fair, I highly doubt he would've scored over 30 goals without his ass landing on waivers first.
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
MartinaRamsay
AHL Prospect

Post by MartinaRamsay »

I think sometimes he lacks focus not commitment. Some players simply don't have everything. that might take the edge. That's not necessarily a big deal, but in this area, that small edge is everything. :hmmm:
http://www.littletots.ca - Most fun kids will ever have!
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:
here we go....
Magic40
Personally I think Hansen may have developed the way he did despite AV. Hansen was always rumoured on the trading block and two seasons scored a beauty goal after coming off a couple week press box stint... only to go back to the press box the very next game.

Who knows, maybe it was tough love and thats how AV got him to where he is today; but my gut still tells me that he just wasn't one of AV's guys.
2011..... the one that got away.
Rudypoo
CC Veteran

Post by Rudypoo »

Madcombinepilot wrote: My concern is that he will be bringing his own system to the Wolves. One of the biggest assets that the Canucks have had for the last several years is that our farm team has played the exact same system as us. This has allowed us an extra advantage with our prospects being called up during the season. (remember how Alberts looked when he was traded here, as opposed to Tanev when he was called up?). If Mac T comes in and coaches his way, and not the system way, that could cause us a bunch of grief the next year when we are using 39 different roster players because of injury ......
Pretty sure Gillis didn't hire a minor league coach and then say "So long, see you in May. LMK how the season went."

Like every other aspect of the Wolves operation, the style to be employed by MacT will be a collaborative decision between Gillis, Wendell Young, and of course the coach himself (not to mention a few others, I'm sure).

Plus MacT had 10 years experience coaching AHL-level talent in Edmonton, so that won't be a challenge for him. :mrgreen: