Jordan Schroeder Article

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Jordan Schroeder Article

Post by tantalum »

I hate to link this site but it's a good article on Schroeder.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Julie-Ro ... L/99/37434
“It was kind of [an easy decision]," he said. "I wanted to learn the pro game earlier rather than waiting another year or two and then going and learning it.”

Like what had happened throughout his entire career, playing up a level came easy to Schroeder as he posted nine points in 11 games. He also recorded a hat trick in Game 3 of Manitoba’s first round series with Hamilton in the Calder Cup playoffs. Schroeder played in all six games that round recording three goals and three assists.

“When I went into Manitoba right after I signed, I had some success. I was like 'wow this is easy',” he explained.

Schroeder was confident he could make the big club the next season, especially after having success in his small taste of professional hockey the prior season, but he quickly realized he had a lot to learn.

“Going into training camp, I had a positive attitude and every thing and I was willing to try to do whatever it took to make the team, but when I got there I realized how much work you have to put in over the summer to come into camp into shape," said Schroeder. "You know...I was in really good shape but compared to some of the guys like Ryan Kessler and those top NHL guys you realized how hard they do work in the off season and what it actually takes to get ready every single year.”
Seems pretty clear he underestimated where he needed to be last September. He recognizes it and hopefully we see a far better camp from him this year.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Jordan Schroeder talk

Post by coco_canuck »

Nice find.

Hopefully it's a sign of him getting back on track to fullfiling his potential.

Schroeder has the skill, speed and a stocky body a small player needs to be a successful NHL player.

His biggest question marks have been his desire, tenacity and toughness. He's talked about Parise being a player he looks up to and aims to emulate but to get there he has to play with the same hard-nosed, no-fear and tenacious attitude as Parise.

Look around the league, small players who are successful play without any fear and not only go to the dirty areas, but find ways to thrive there. Even guys like Parise, Kane and St. Louis who are supremely talented are either very strong and aggressive on the puck and/or are strong in the tough areas.

We'll see if Schroeder not only understands that, but if he has it in him to consistently play that way. Some players, even if they have tremendous skill, simply can't do that. Soon enough we'll find out what the kid is made of.
Fred
CC Legend

Re: Jordan Schroeder Article

Post by Fred »

If this article can be taken as gospel than it's maybe the best news this summer .....I can't get excited over Sturm
cheers
spooner
CC Veteran

Post by spooner »

Thanks for posting that Tant. My thoughts are inline with most of what Coco posted. Schroeder's success at the end of the 09/10 season and into the playoffs with the Moose provided a fair bit of hope for the kid. Unfortunately he looked like a much different player last season.

This article suggests perhaps not making the big club last year, while not a surprising at all to most of us, was a big surprise to JS and a big hit to his confidence. Likely the first time in his life that he didn't make a team.

Hopefully that causes him to mature a bit. Like AV told him last year, he is going to have to dominate in the AHL if he hopes to make the next step.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Very good read. It kills me having to drive up traffic to that site, but well worth it.

Does anyone remember the name of the original Canucks writer on that site? He was excellent, but he supposedly left to go to The Hockey News but I never saw his articles there, and now I've completely forgotten his name.

Schroeder is a real wildcard, and still has great potential. Looking through that draft class, there aren't any players jumping out at me as ones we should have taken (though its still far too early, I know). In fact, it looks like there's only 4 players making an impact at the NHL level from that class, and plenty of higher picks are still developing on the farm.

At least we know from his first call-up to the Moose that he can put up huge numbers in the AHL in some circumstances, so the potential is still there.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

I'm surprised that he's surprised he didn't make the team after 11 games in the AHL and the depth on the Canucks.

Maybe he has a touch of Phaneufitis?
2011..... the one that got away.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

What I like is it seems to me like a light has gone on, or a realization that what he needs to do and seems to be willing to improve with strength and conditioning....and maybe growing up a bit (mentally LOL ). As other have said no one doubts his skill and we know small players with exceptional skill can play in the NHL . It sound like the old adage the first thing a drunk has to do is accept that's what he is and then be willing to work on it. One thing about having an ex NHL coach on your farm coaching staff is he KNOWS what is required to make it, if Schroeder listens he can likely make it
cheers
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:I'm surprised that he's surprised he didn't make the team after 11 games in the AHL and the depth on the Canucks.

Maybe he has a touch of Phaneufitis?
He has an ego to be sure but I think spooner is correct. Schroeder from the time he was a kid he was playing at a level above his normal age group and excelling. He then went into specialty programs with Hockey USA and excelled. He went to world junior championships and excelled (he is the leading US scorer for World junior play). As a freshman he excelled and got drafted in the first round of the draft after being ranked a top 5 NA skater. He struggled his sophmore year along with the whole team but turned pro and once again excelled. Having never played in an NHL game or attended an NHL camp he likely had no real idea that even pre-season NHL hockey is a step above AHL hockey and then to make a team you have to be a large step above that. He could have come into camp in the best shape of his life (and perhaps did) but that shape may have been worse than every NHL regular.

Some of it may have been ego but I think most kids have their eyes opened that first camp. For him it came at an older age than it does for promising players from the CHL who get that wake up call a couple months after being drafted.

Don't be surprised to see Rodin get a wake up call in September as to the level he needs to be at. Despite playing in a mens league it isn't the NHL and it isn't the grind that NHL and even AHL hockey is.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

tantalum wrote:Don't be surprised to see Rodin get a wake up call in September as to the level he needs to be at. Despite playing in a mens league it isn't the NHL and it isn't the grind that NHL and even AHL hockey is.
Archibald is another guy who might find himself in this category when he has to adjust to not only a higher level of hockey but also playing against guys his age and older.

Another thing in that article about Schroeder that I found a little surprising is that he talked about not being physically ready. Wasn't he the guy that bench pressed the most at the combine? I know theres more to physical fitness than just that but he came across to me as a gym junkie.
2011..... the one that got away.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
tantalum wrote:Don't be surprised to see Rodin get a wake up call in September as to the level he needs to be at. Despite playing in a mens league it isn't the NHL and it isn't the grind that NHL and even AHL hockey is.
Archibald is another guy who might find himself in this category when he has to adjust to not only a higher level of hockey but also playing against guys his age and older.

Another thing in that article about Schroeder that I found a little surprising is that he talked about not being physically ready. Wasn't he the guy that bench pressed the most at the combine? I know theres more to physical fitness than just that but he came across to me as a gym junkie.
gym time doesnt give you air....unless you bike or run the treads i guess...specific shape for specific sports takes that sport to specifically get in that specific games shape...phew!
Getting old is not for the young...
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Fred wrote:If this article can be taken as gospel than it's maybe the best news this summer .....I can't get excited over Sturm
I am in agreement about Sturm. I just see him a team fodder.

I just home MacT can get our prospects ready to make the jump.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Fred wrote:If this article can be taken as gospel than it's maybe the best news this summer .....I can't get excited over Sturm
I am in agreement about Sturm. I just see him a team fodder.

I just home MacT can get our prospects ready to make the jump.
I don't think the intention of signing Sturm was to excite anyone. Well, maybe the Sturm family.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I just can't get excited about Mac T
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Madcombinepilot wrote:I just can't get excited about Mac T

I've resisted making the same comment. Is McT a teacher, is he a hard ass, will the prospects be intimidated or taught. McT is there IMO to try and set up his next NHL job more than do the right thing for the prospects. He does bring the advantage of being a NHL style coach and can give players an insight of the expectations in the NHL. It will be tough to judge how he does
cheers
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

my biggest fear is not in Mac T's skill set. He was a fairly successful NHL coach. He can teach and motivate players. no real concerns there.

My concern is that he will be bringing his own system to the Wolves. One of the biggest assets that the Canucks have had for the last several years is that our farm team has played the exact same system as us. This has allowed us an extra advantage with our prospects being called up during the season. (remember how Alberts looked when he was traded here, as opposed to Tanev when he was called up?). If Mac T comes in and coaches his way, and not the system way, that could cause us a bunch of grief the next year when we are using 39 different roster players because of injury ......
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.