Canucks have signed Owen Nolan and Todd Fedoruk to PTO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks have signed Owen Nolan and Todd Fedoruk to PTO

Post by sagebrush »

Nolan can provide a type of gritty leadership that we lack.

There were times when our team looked bewildered when trying to deal with Boston and Chicago's dirty playoff tactics. Nolan's savvy would have helped.

Nolan knows how to respond to attempts to intimidate his team mates. How to deter people from taking liberties and make how to it clear to the refs that maintaining control means evenly distributed discipline. Intimidation doesn't necessarily require fighting.

If he can regain his pre-2009 speed, and retain discipline from the 'Wild' days, he will contribute enough offensively and defensively to justify more than token ice time. A big if, but definitely worth a look.

It would be a great come back storey.
Klatt
CC Rookie

Post by Klatt »

Love his attitude. But actions speak louder than words, and I hope we see evidence of his words on the ice.

I think Nolan would help the first unit PP, but not the Sedins at even strength. He needs to be with speedier line mates for the forecheck 5 on 5 (a healthy 2nd line with Kesler and Raymond, or even Hansen would be a good mix). Burrows best attribute with the Sedins is forcing the opposing defenseman to move the puck quickly or somehow getting the puck into an offensive possession. I don't think Nolan will have the legs to do that, not even if he is as good as hoped for.

Samuelsson will hopefully be a serviceable player this year. But if he isn't shooting the puck, he's making bad decisions with the puck 90% of the time. The first unit looks more dangerous without him. Salo does not make the same mistakes that Samuelsson does, and those mistakes can be especially costly on the point during a PP -- either losing zone time or giving odd man rushes against.

It would make sense to have Henrik QB from down low or half boards, Daniel on the same side looking to walk in and shoot, pass across or to points, or work the give and go with his brother, and even slide into the slot and have Henrik move up the boards for the slap pass. Then, ideally you are working on the right side, with Edler on the near point, you'd have Salo on the far point ready for one timers (ex. SJ series), and, last but not least, a RH shot in front of the net either screaning, kicking out for one-timers, or passes off the end boards, and looking for rebounds (this could be Kesler, but it's also a role Nolan would be well suited too).

Because I've discussed the PP, I have to say, will someone please teach the Canuck point men to fake a shot and side step. =)
A man can be destroyed but not defeated.
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
All our words from loose using have lost their edge.
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

This may be considered heresy, but in preparation for the play offs, I think we should try Daniel & Henrik on separate lines. Not all the time, but enough to have an alternate strategy ready for the playoffs. Devising last minute playoff strategies is not AV's strong point.

Reason being that in the play offs the refs allow enough mugging to neutralize the twins - when they're together. If the other team has the right combination of skill and muggers we're in trouble. Under those circumstances, it's almost impossible to protect two non-physical, skill players, who can't out speed the opposition (when they're on the same line).

One physical presence on each line may be enough to prevent mugging one skilled, non-physical guy.
Klatt
CC Rookie

Post by Klatt »

sagebrush wrote: try Daniel & Henrik on separate lines
I agree they should be tried on separate lines. Henrik performed quite well without Daniel. It would be interesting to see if perhaps Daniel found some chemistry with Kesler or even someone else. Not for full time, just as options for times of struggle or injury.

I don't really agree with the logic you gave. But you are entitled to your opinion. I would think the preparation to deal with different situations should not exclude splitting up the Sedins. Merely having the options be more comfortable come playoff time would be enough reason for me to try them out during the season.

The Canucks should view the regular season as preparation for the playoffs; however, they shouldn't consequently begin taking any opposition too lightly. It will be a difficult balance for the coaching staff, to make sure they are winning and getting in good habits, as well as preparing for the playoffs (physically, mentally, and tactically).
A man can be destroyed but not defeated.
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
All our words from loose using have lost their edge.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Perhaps it would be interesting to pair Nolan w/ Hodgson in a mentoring roll; room them up on the road etc. He's certainly a smart enough player and would be able to protect the kid and provide leadership while also being the trigger man. Guy has a stellar shot and lets not forget dude is solid on the faceoffs. Invaluable when a center gets tossed. He'd be the perfect compliment to the Twins on the PP until Kesler recovers, also being a right hand shot.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
trouble

Post by trouble »

ClamRussel wrote:Perhaps it would be interesting to pair Nolan w/ Hodgson in a mentoring roll; room them up on the road etc. He's certainly a smart enough player and would be able to protect the kid and provide leadership while also being the trigger man. Guy has a stellar shot and lets not forget dude is solid on the faceoffs. Invaluable when a center gets tossed. He'd be the perfect compliment to the Twins on the PP until Kesler recovers, also being a right hand shot.
Yes Nolan would be great to mentor for Hodgson,,

Also if the Canucks rally around A guy like Nolan to win a Cup that has played 18-19 years trying to get (kinda like how The Avs rallied around Bourque).. I just like this in so many ways, I will be the first to cheer him on to make the team and get a contract for playing hard

He a better fit for this team then Morrison or Scheafer was last year
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Actually, the more I think about it the more I really like Nolan getting the PTO. Its a wild card because he didn't play in the NHL last year...but he really brings what this team needs to the table. If you think about it, is he any more a gamble than Sturm coming off double knee surgeries? I hope Nolan has a solid camp and gets a crack, he'd certainly be able to improve our bottom 6 w/ upside of a higher line if warranted.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Some of these players who have a history of playing the game with an edge bring a whole lot of second thoughts to an opposing team. I recall when Brad May played in Vcr, I used to have my season tickets in row 7 right in the corner. At face off some times an opponent who had been maybe throwing weight around a bit to much would get the Brad May stare followed by a detailed list of things he intended to do to the player...always settled things down or most of the time. No one tends to poke Nolan, just being on the ice sort of cools the situation. So if he can keep up and there's no reason he can't others have done it before him, then he can be a positive influence IMO plus he will pop a few goals
cheers
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

I hope both guys make the team. Todd needs to be around for this reason:

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip513400#clip513400

Great another cheap shot artist to play against.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Carlyee wrote:I hope both guys make the team. Todd needs to be around for this reason:

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip513400#clip513400

Great another cheap shot artist to play against.
Carcillo will just be another Eager. He will be benched as long as the game is meaningful. Since the Canucks will never play the Hawks in the final (the only time that the whistle is put away), I would not worry about him at all.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I'm not as a rule a Don Cherry fans, but he brought some thing up about a month ago on 1040. He said when Eager crossed checked Daniel into the boards head first and there were no repercussion from either the league of the Vcr team, many GM's & coaches took note. As a result Boston dressed Scott Thornton and played him on a regular shift and between him and Marchment they played havoc with the Canucks. So the old addage that these mariginal player are in the press box in the play-offs is not exactly the case any more. Like I said I'm not a DC fan his read of the series but it did have a degree of truth
cheers
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Now that the Canucks have been shown to back off when confronted, this will be every teams response. We have to get a nuclear deterrent and fight back. Marchand will have to have his head handed to him the next time we play and yappers like Carcillo will have to be shut up. If not you won't have to wait until the playoffs as we won't be there. I believe that MG has realized this and is compiling a group of ornery SOB's for the fourth line. He knows we are going to go through a pile of mire before the other teams stop the nonsense.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Playing between whistles is fine most of the time and for some players like Lappy who have a habit of not doing so most of the time. You want to reign them in, like Burrows and Kesler but not inhibit them. Part of our problem was injuries, we needed these players on the ice not in the box.

So next season it is learning balance.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Canuck-One wrote:Now that the Canucks have been shown to back off when confronted, this will be every teams response. We have to get a nuclear deterrent and fight back. Marchand will have to have his head handed to him the next time we play and yappers like Carcillo will have to be shut up. If not you won't have to wait until the playoffs as we won't be there. I believe that MG has realized this and is compiling a group of ornery SOB's for the fourth line. He knows we are going to go through a pile of mire before the other teams stop the nonsense.
You're right. First we need to go out and find some giant lug who can barely skate, let alone play hockey. Then we need to sign him and cut a player that is ten times the hockey player he is (or five times the player if we're talking about Victor Oreskovich).

Then we need to tell the coach he has another matchup he needs to obsessively pursue, except this one doesn't help him win games in any demonstrable fashion.

With a worse team and so much line matching going on that it's near impossible for our top players to get into a groove, we are sure to have more opportunities to feel proud of our team after they lose (but don't get pushed around) next season.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Canuck-One wrote:Now that the Canucks have been shown to back off when confronted, this will be every teams response. We have to get a nuclear deterrent and fight back. Marchand will have to have his head handed to him the next time we play...
Brad Marchand
Center - BOS
Number: 63
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 183

A nuclear deterrent for this guy? Anyone one the team could have taken him - IF they got the green light. Do you think the team was afraid of this guy?

As for the others - we shouldn't need to goon it up. Would having Rypien last year have won us the Cup? As much as I like him, I don't think he would have been a factor on the scoresheet or in the PIM stats.

We need big guys who can play and drop them once and while when called upon. We needed a power play that scared the Bruins - not a knuckle dragger.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound