Canucks have signed Owen Nolan and Todd Fedoruk to PTO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks have signed Owen Nolan and Todd Fedoruk to PTO

Post by Benjo »

Fred wrote:Just a different train of thought. Can this be described as a desperation move by MG, has he failed to get the player he maybe wanted. We know he tried to get Troy Brouwer and lost out was there some one else he missed on maybe
I think it's a little of both. GM MG likely never had a crack at a majority of the players we saw go in free agency. The term on FA day was ridiculous especially for the type of player we were looking for to fill out our bottom 6 i.e. Max Talbot getting a 5 year contract with Philly. These guys don't last forever so I'm still surprised they were handed this kind of term on a silver platter.
The other half is that it is becoming a more and more common strategy by teams to invite fringe vets for PTOs. Players have taken an increasing interest in their long term well being at younger and younger ages so it is still possible to find a 39 year old with gas left in the tank. No risk in trying out a former All Star that can play a grind it out game.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

dbr wrote:Wow, Todd Fedoruk. That guy's going to be donating his brain for medical research one day. And it won't be far off if he keeps taking haymakers in the chops.
Other than vs Colton Orr, has Fedoruk had many KOs?
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Two vets on PTO....I say why the hell not? Given they are veterans they will know what camp is all about so there is a good chance they will provide some very good competition for the younger players looking for a spot on the 4th line and 13th forward.
trouble

Post by trouble »

I like this deal.. we can't lose either way and personal i think Nolan can still play and will bring in some experience and grit to the bottom six.

Not sure about the other one but Nolan i think will make this team.. Nice pick up Gillis
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Aside from making waves at training camp with your current roster players, I don't see that there's any tangible downside to offering out a PTO or two.

I certainly fail to see how giving a PTO to either guy is a desperation move, Fred.

Signing an at-this-time unproven Nolan to a contract would be a desperation move.

IMO, signing Fedoruk any time would be a retarded move. He's done.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I've been unable to find any news explaining why Nolan only played 24 games in Switzerland last year. He didn't sign until late-October, and I believe their season starts early-September, but its 50 game season so I can't rule out some sort of injury.

Hopefully Nolan found Selanne's knee surgeon while he was over there. Even still, for a player his age its a lot more encouraging to see him playing hockey when he can't get an NHL deal as opposed to playing poker. What I remember most from his last few years is the lack of speed, which seemed to come from his knee problems.
trouble

Post by trouble »

ESQ wrote:I've been unable to find any news explaining why Nolan only played 24 games in Switzerland last year. He didn't sign until late-October, and I believe their season starts early-September, but its 50 game season so I can't rule out some sort of injury.

Hopefully Nolan found Selanne's knee surgeon while he was over there. Even still, for a player his age its a lot more encouraging to see him playing hockey when he can't get an NHL deal as opposed to playing poker. What I remember most from his last few years is the lack of speed, which seemed to come from his knee problems.
Just playing 24 games last year means he got a chance to heal a lot of the bumps and injuries he's had in the past years. To see that he want to play for a serious playoff teams means he is motivated and wants to play hard. Money is not the issue here, Winning is.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I think just like others before them these players have a need to be seen by scouts desperate to find players. Attending the Canuck training camp will be scouts from the rest of the NHL and just like those that sit in coffee shop windows, Vcr is the place to be seen if you want to resurrect your career, Canucks = Starbucks :D :D
cheers
Klatt
CC Rookie

Post by Klatt »

Lots of low-risk and medium reward talk... I'd change that to no-risk. PTOs carry no obligation.

My initial reaction is that Nolan will bring leadership, toughness, and scoring prowess. But he can't skate very well anymore.

I can see him helping on the PP with the sedins (especially well Kesler is out), he seems like the perfect fit for that role, although they may need more speed to help with puck retrieval, if Ehrhoff being gone hurts their usual zone entries. That said, elder and salo would be the likely current first PP pair and they've been pretty good in the past (although Edler would need to rush more than he has done -- mostly because Ehrhoff played that role more in their pairing).

Also, I think Nolan fits the two way hockey mold pretty well to be moved up and down the lineup as AV likes to do. He probably has greater scoring instincts than almost anyone on the Canucks. I think the Canucks are probably hoping that Nolan's lack of speed won't be an issue, and in fact, he could compliment all the speed and lack of skill (particularly shooting) that the Canucks suffer from. Raymond and Hansen in particular could use some shooting lessons, maybe even from Nolan himself.

I believe thats what the Canucks are looking for as the "medium reward" and how it might play out to their benefit. In contrast, that could not work, and then they've lost nothing.

Fedoruk on the other hand, seems like more of a fringe signing. Not much upside their. But probably the right move in two ways. First, the Canucks could use some added toughness if things work out. Second, it gives the man a chance to prove himself at the NHL level again. I hope for Fedoruk's sake he is healthy and able to compete. But as I started out saying, there is no risk here, and at the very minimum it gives a man who seems to be liked by his peers another opportunity to do what he loves.
A man can be destroyed but not defeated.
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
All our words from loose using have lost their edge.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Klatt wrote:Lots of low-risk and medium reward talk... I'd change that to no-risk. PTOs carry no obligation.

My initial reaction is that Nolan will bring leadership, toughness, and scoring prowess. But he can't skate very well anymore.

I can see him helping on the PP with the sedins (especially well Kesler is out), he seems like the perfect fit for that role, although they may need more speed to help with puck retrieval, if Ehrhoff being gone hurts their usual zone entries. That said, elder and salo would be the likely current first PP pair and they've been pretty good in the past (although Edler would need to rush more than he has done -- mostly because Ehrhoff played that role more in their pairing).
Agree that its no risk. But I see Sammy/Edler as the first unit PP pointmen. Having two Right-handed RWers could make for a very dangerous PP. BUT, if Sammy's speed doesn't recover from his various injuries last year, this might not work.
trouble wrote: Just playing 24 games last year means he got a chance to heal a lot of the bumps and injuries he's had in the past years. To see that he want to play for a serious playoff teams means he is motivated and wants to play hard. Money is not the issue here, Winning is.
I agree with you there, 24 games is a good amount for a player to stay fresh but hopefully get long-term injuries under control. Its what I expected from Kariya after taking last year off, but knees are a different animal than concussions.

I guess the big question is, did his health improve, or just stay the same? If there isn't a marked improvement in his health, but he's a year older, I don't see him making the team. If his health has improved, the additional miles will not be as big an issue. There's no room for 09/10 Nolan on this team, that's for sure.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Dude sounds eager, you can feel the excitement in the words. I think he's got a better chance to make the team than Botchford gives him in the article.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hocke ... story.html
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Corb wrote:Dude sounds eager, you can feel the excitement in the words. I think he's got a better chance to make the team than Botchford gives him in the article.

"Once they offered me a tryout in camp, I was all over it," he said. "I am very very grateful to go there and show them what I have. And I don't think they are going to be disappointed.

"This is all I wanted, just a chance. I just needed an opportunity to show you what I still have."

Make all the old timer jokes you want, Nolan isn't laughing. How much would it mean to him to follow in Recchi's footsteps and win a Stanley Cup?

"You have no idea," he said. "I burn for it."

"I still have the drive, the willingness to compete and I still want to win. I haven't had the opportunity to win the Cup and going to Vancouver could give me a great opportunity to do that."
Giggity.
2011..... the one that got away.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Corb wrote:Dude sounds eager, you can feel the excitement in the words. I think he's got a better chance to make the team than Botchford gives him in the article.

"Once they offered me a tryout in camp, I was all over it," he said. "I am very very grateful to go there and show them what I have. And I don't think they are going to be disappointed.

"This is all I wanted, just a chance. I just needed an opportunity to show you what I still have."

Make all the old timer jokes you want, Nolan isn't laughing. How much would it mean to him to follow in Recchi's footsteps and win a Stanley Cup?

"You have no idea," he said. "I burn for it."

"I still have the drive, the willingness to compete and I still want to win. I haven't had the opportunity to win the Cup and going to Vancouver could give me a great opportunity to do that."
Giggity.
Wouldn't it be nice to see him drop Dave Bolland, or at least pummel him? I'll file that in the same folder as Cody anchoring the second PP off the sideboards.................. :mex:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

I think it's excellent news they let Owen Nolan try out. As pointed out, there is no risk and possible benefits.

The Swiss league is a weird animal. They only allow four or five, don't remember exactly, foreigners per team. Those players are usually borderline NHL material, but the rest are mediocre at best. They then tend to ice all foreigners together playing against the other teams foreigners. Thus you get one shift of high quality AHL/KHL/SEL play, then two or three shifts of beer league hockey, the nanother top level one and then back to the beer leagues...

Thing is, this has actually worked out in helping improve the overall level od Swiss hockey, and not least their goaltending. Since Swiss goalies face some pretty good fowards every third shift, they have learnt. To play really well, and a handful have even made it to the NHL.

Anyway, here you can find some stats from last season in Switzerland:
http://eliteprospects.com/league.php?le ... eason=2010

Glenn Metropolit was the best scorer and Josh Holden (sic!) was in third place.......

Anyway, Nolan netted just over one ppg, which is good in any league.

I think a year in the Swiss alps may have given him ample time to heal his wounds while playing a reasonableamount of hockey on a decent enough level. Hopefully he has charged his batteries and is ready to make a last charge up the hill known as the Stanley Cup playoffs! 8-)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Just love his attitude and enthusiasm. Last season I thought we could have used Morrison to anchor the 4th line but I am happy to have Lappy there right now. This year I think having someone who plays as tough as Nolan does and has the hands he does could be a huge benefit to the team. I love how he says he doesn't care if he only gets 5 minutes and he doesn't care what his role is. He just wants a role and wants a chance to win. That is heart and could go a long way to helping us over any humps we will run into.

He was never a problem in the locker room and was pretty popular when he played in TO. He was always a fan favourite on SJS. He is well past his prime but he could replace some of the toughness Torres brought with a little more in the production department. His speed could be a big issue but then again if he could click with the twins then Burrows is freed up to move to another spot in the roster. Lets not forget that Anson Carter popped 33 or so playing with the twins so there is no reason that a healthy Nolan cannot do something similar. Unlike most line mates the twins have had Nolan will do battle to protect them as well.

With a healthy, with Kesler and Nolan, we now would have two warriors to stand in the crease on the PP giving our second PP unit more pop. I like this gamble, much better than last years choices for Grampa of the year candidate. I think Nolan comes to camp loaded to show everyone he still has it and I bet he takes 1 million or less for one year to be given that chance. For Morrison it was his first year of not being wanted so his expectations were higher. Nolan knows this could be his last chance and to get it with a contender will inspire and motivate him . No, he is not that top six power forward we all want but he may be insurance and a small piece of the puzzle to get us through.
The only HW the Canucks need