Canucks have signed Owen Nolan and Todd Fedoruk to PTO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks have signed Owen Nolan and Todd Fedoruk to PTO

Post by rats19 »

Corb wrote:
dbr wrote:Wow, Todd Fedoruk. That guy's going to be donating his brain for medical research one day. And it won't be far off if he keeps taking haymakers in the chops.

Still, I guess if he's got enough left to distract the losers in the Flames and Oilers organizations during the preseason, that's good enough for me.

As for Nolan, I'm much more optimistic. He's likely still good enough to at least play a fourth line role in the NHL, and more importantly he is a physical player with a mean streak - an Asshole, as doc would say - something this team desperately lacks.
I hope it works out for Nolan here, and he still good enough to move up with the twins to negate some of after the whistle stuff.
can you imagine...europe last year...back to back harts as linemates this year...whoood a thunk it!!
Getting old is not for the young...
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Jovocop wrote:
rats19 wrote: nolan is an 'asshole" I always hated him...Go owen Go...lol
I second that...
A buddy of mine is a Leaves fan. So much so that six years ago he named his first born Nolan. :wow:
2011..... the one that got away.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:A buddy of mine is a Leaves fan. So much so that six years ago he named his first born Nolan. :wow:
Nolan Owen?
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

dbr wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:A buddy of mine is a Leaves fan. So much so that six years ago he named his first born Nolan. :wow:
Nolan Owen?
I think Owena was reserved for the girl.
2011..... the one that got away.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
dbr wrote:
Nolan Owen?
I think Owena was reserved for the girl.
nolene...:0
Getting old is not for the young...
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

coco_canuck wrote: Regardless, at the very worst they're two washed up vets who won't make the final round of cuts.
To be fair, at the very worst they leverage a strong camp with the Canucks into an extremely cap-friendly contract with a divisional rival and almost put said rival into the playoffs :lol:
dbr wrote:Wow, Todd Fedoruk. That guy's going to be donating his brain for medical research one day. .
I actually spit out my coffee when I read this, priceless!! :thumbs:
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

ESQ wrote: To be fair, at the very worst they leverage a strong camp with the Canucks into an extremely cap-friendly contract with a divisional rival and almost put said rival into the playoffs :lol:
Fair enough, but I'm not gonna lose much sleep over one of our divisional rivals taking one of our bottom 6 player and being sent packing in 4-5 games in the first round. :P

Unless Nolan simply wants to play in the NHL for another year or two before calling it a career, he's only signing with a legitimate cup contender. He's looking for his first and only Stanley Cup, and it's either Vancouver or another top 5-6 contender IMO.

I'm loathe to get my hopes up considering the guy is 39 and just spent a year in Europe, but if he can be close to the player he was the last two years in Minnesota, a strong top 9 forward, then he has a very nice spot and role in the Canucks bottom 6.

Like it's been said, he's a hard-nosed asshole who's a gamer. He has the potential to be the perfect type of bottom 6 forward we've been looking for all summer. A guy who can play a 2-way game, is tough, is big, has touch and a ton of experience.

The only thing that may keep him back is his ability to keep up with the pace the Canucks play. If he can do that, we'll be happy to have him, especially come playoff time.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

He can also be Kesler's replacement on the first PP unit to stand in front of the net. He can be this year's Torres without the late hits, ya right! :D Maybe he can play with the twins here and there as well. One thing is Nolan has a great shot.

Fedoruk I dunno if he has much left. One good punch and he may be done but who knows. Maybe he brings some grit and that goon enforcer mentality and can play 20-30 games on spot duty when needed.

I like how MG is doing this, inviting a couple of guys to camp each year and giving them a look see. I think someone else said it best, with so many forwards who may not be ready for camp or to start the season maybe we can pick up a guy or two who can fill in so we don't end up in the basement by Christmas.
The only HW the Canucks need
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Like Boston said, low risk, moderate reward move.

Given Ballard's suspected conditioning not meeting Canucks standards, and Alberts the year before, I really wonder if Nolan at 39 and playing the past season in Switzerland is in good enough shape for AV to give him any ice time even if he gets signed for the season.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Couldn't resist, a re-post from the old site:
c4s_Fedorukskull1213_98403d.jpg
c4s_Fedorukskull1213_98403d.jpg (30.63 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
What's left of Fedoruk's face.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Hockey Widow wrote:He can also be Kesler's replacement on the first PP unit to stand in front of the net. He can be this year's Torres without the late hits, ya right! :D Maybe he can play with the twins here and there as well. One thing is Nolan has a great shot.
Nolan has a shot and much better hands than a guy who was brought up to be a fit on the PP, Jannik Hansen. As many have said, low risk, possible medium return. What's there to lose?
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Bountiful drools at their next BMo
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

ESQ wrote:
dbr wrote:Wow, Todd Fedoruk. That guy's going to be donating his brain for medical research one day. .
I actually spit out my coffee when I read this, priceless!! :thumbs:
Not to pick on you, ESQ, but this is actually a deadly serious issue in pro sports, complete with intrigue & corporate espionage.

Check out this GQ article - which, granted, is focussed on NFL players - for an extremely well-written and informative read on the urgency of analyzing the brains of dead athletes:

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/20090 ... oncussions

The truth is, many pro athletes in contact sports are leveraging their present by paying for it with their future. In some cases, they're going to pay with everything they've got...
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Just a different train of thought. Can this be described as a desperation move by MG, has he failed to get the player he maybe wanted. We know he tried to get Troy Brouwer and lost out was there some one else he missed on maybe
cheers
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »