Canucks have signed Owen Nolan and Todd Fedoruk to PTO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Canucks have signed Owen Nolan and Todd Fedoruk to PTO

Post by Jovocop » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:18 am

Canucks have signed Owen Nolan and Todd Fedoruk to professional tryout contracts. Wow...

http://twitter.com/#!/VanCanucks

Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks have signed Owen Nolan and Todd Fedoruk to PTO

Post by Eddy Punch Clock » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:24 am

Jovocop wrote:Canucks have signed Owen Nolan and Todd Fedoruk to professional tryout contracts. Wow...

http://twitter.com/#!/VanCanucks
Thanks for the link.

I just read this at HF but the poster with a whole 4 posts to his credit didn't give a link so I wasn't sure whether I should believe it.
2011..... the one that got away.

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:27 am

I dont know....I think I like it...yah I do..but I cant forget nolan calling the nucks a bunch of rockheads back in the first keenan year. it pissed me off, but he was right lol
Getting old is not for the young...

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:29 am

Maybe they were past MG customers :D

Fedoruk really suffered from post concussion problems and couldn't risk taking another punch, maybe with Boogard leaving the game he felt he could take a risk....big risk. He suffered a lot when Boogard crushed the orbital bone in his face. Never been much of an Nolan fan, mainly on cruise for the last years or so in the NHL
cheers

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:29 am

Meh...
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P

Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:31 am

So... do the Canucks contact the Maki family this time before handing out the #11? :eh:

coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:36 am

rats19 wrote:I dont know....I think I like it...yah I do..but I cant forget nolan calling the nucks a bunch of rockheads back in the first keenan year. it pissed me off, but he was right lol
He was completely right calling the Canucks a Mickey Mouse organization in those days.

The franchise's commitment to winning was questionable with a series of poor hires and sub-par budget that was weighted down with some bad contracts.

I bet if Shea Weber was on one of those teams he'd be pulling the same wait-and-see act.

Regardless, at the very worst they're two washed up vets who won't make the final round of cuts.

The best case scenario is Nolan feels revitalized and puts everything he has into one last chance at winning and becomes a reliable, hard-nosed bottom 6 winger with the experience and skill to score a few goals and the toughness to protect his teammates and muck it up in the dirty areas come playoff time.

Fedoruk is a 12/13 type player who could take a regular shift and beat the piss out of other fighters. I don't know what he has left or if he can even keep up in today's game, but I'd rather have an enforcer come in on a PTO than a guaranteed contract, so we'll see how it goes.

Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:48 am

I know everybody will be penciling Nolan in on the bottom six but in his prime he would have been a perfect fit with the Sedins. Maybe he'll get a look or two with them in camp? He scores those garbage go to the net goals and has a wicked shot too.

I'm not saying it's likely to happen but I think it could be an interesting option for AV.

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:51 am

These are low risk, potential medium reward moves, so why not? They're likely B. Morrison and P. Schaefer all over again. If Nolan is really renewed and willing to take fewer minutes - after a year in Switzerland most likely so - who knows, could be his last gasp for a cup. You can also see MG looking at the injury situation in the first few months, they'll be patching those lines together until Sammy, Raymond and Kesler are back in gear...Nolan's best hope to make a statment and still be around by February.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:57 am

Boston Canucker wrote:These are low risk, potential medium reward moves, so why not? They're likely B. Morrison and P. Schaefer all over again...
Yep - nothing to lose, so why not take a look. We'll have some holes for the first couple of months, and these guys could be this years Schaefer.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:01 am

If nothing else these guys will add to the competition for jobs in training camp/preseason. Should be pretty intense.

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:05 am

Wow, Todd Fedoruk. That guy's going to be donating his brain for medical research one day. And it won't be far off if he keeps taking haymakers in the chops.

Still, I guess if he's got enough left to distract the losers in the Flames and Oilers organizations during the preseason, that's good enough for me.

As for Nolan, I'm much more optimistic. He's likely still good enough to at least play a fourth line role in the NHL, and more importantly he is a physical player with a mean streak - an Asshole, as doc would say - something this team desperately lacks.

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:07 am

dbr wrote:Wow, Todd Fedoruk. That guy's going to be donating his brain for medical research one day. And it won't be far off if he keeps taking haymakers in the chops.

Still, I guess if he's got enough left to distract the losers in the Flames and Oilers organizations during the preseason, that's good enough for me.

As for Nolan, I'm much more optimistic. He's likely still good enough to at least play a fourth line role in the NHL, and more importantly he is a physical player with a mean streak - an Asshole, as doc would say - something this team desperately lacks.
nolan is an 'asshole" I always hated him...Go owen Go...lol
Getting old is not for the young...

Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:10 am

dbr wrote:Wow, Todd Fedoruk. That guy's going to be donating his brain for medical research one day. And it won't be far off if he keeps taking haymakers in the chops.

I hope it works out for Nolan here, and he still good enough to move up with the twins to negate some of after the whistle stuff.

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:12 am

rats19 wrote: nolan is an 'asshole" I always hated him...Go owen Go...lol
I second that...