The Great Depression: Anyone else still feeling down?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

After thinking about this last night and earlier today, I've decided to post this publicly....even if by doing so, it makes me look like a tard. :oops:

As stupid as this might sound, the Canucks' loss to the Bruins last month has taken a much bigger toll on me than I ever could have imagined. Even today - it's still gut-wrenching for me. So many things sadden me about it: The mental image of Kesler tearing up, the riots, the fact that the entire city of Vancouver celebrated after we were up 2-0 in the series (who woulda thunk we would be outscored 21-4 after that?), the rest of Canada hating us and cheering Boston, the possible NHL head office bias towards the Bruins, etc., etc.

I can't stop thinking about it, and there's still a part of me that's in denial that we didn't win. Sometimes at night - I'll re-watch the highlights of Game 7 on You Tube, the riotting, etc., etc. As dumb as that may sound, do you think it might be a good idea to talk to someone about it? (like a counselor), or would I just get laughed at for talking about something so trivial/stupid?

By the way - it's also one of the reasons why I feel a lot more empathetic towards Chris Johansen than I probably should (i.e. the moderator at the "other" CC). I think he's one of the few guys that took this loss harder than me. I want to feel good about hockey again but I just feel really sad. It's also one of the reasons why I've been trying to talk about hockey on here even though it's July......like to overcome the sadness or something.

It comes and goes for me. There are days where I'll feel really good about hockey and the Canucks and just want the season to start......and then there are days where I just feel unbelievably sad that we lost (like today). Felt horrible before going to bed last night as well.

One thing I've tried to tell myself (which has been pretty effective) is that it's just a game that we get to appreciate as fans.....and that as "bad" as we can feel for our Canuck hero's, these guys are all millionaires in the end going home to their incredibly hot wives, $200,000 cars, and king sized mansions.

When I think along those lines I actually feel pretty good (just typing that actually made me feel good!)......but then I get mental images of Jim Robson, Tom Larsheid, etc. and just feel like absolute shit. These guys have been waiting all their lives to see the Canucks win and they haven't seen it.

I even sometimes start wondering if God hates Vancouver or something?

Anyway - these were just some thoughts that have been on my mind since June 15th. I know most of this probably sounds retarded/ridiculous, but this Canuck loss has literally had me in mourning. Amazingly enough, it might be in my top 5 for saddest experiences.....which ironically enough, followed what was one of my greatest and most memorable two month experiences before that (i.e. our playoff run). The skytrain singing, the get togethers, my playoff beard, etc., etc.

Thank you for any insight/advice that you guys might have. I was just wondering if anyone felt the same way....and if you got over it, what you told yourself?
rufus
AHL Prospect

Re: The Great Depression: Anyone else still feeling down?

Post by rufus »

The immediate riot was a huge mitigating factor against depression for me. However, the whole finals experience leaves a terrible taste. If, at the start of the season, we were offered the chance to go to game 7 and lose i expect that we all would have taken that, and considered the season a huge success. Now, I almost wish we'd lost to Chicag.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I had ! Great post going and hit wrong button on this fucking phone and lost it....but basically boiled down to.....quitters quit.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I avoided all TV, newspaper, internet coverage for a good week after the series, it was just too painful to relive.

It still is painful, that's why I've thrown myself into this site and looking forward, not back. Even looking through boxscores from the SCF for another post got me seething mad again!
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

rufus wrote:The immediate riot was a huge mitigating factor against depression for me. However, the whole finals experience leaves a terrible taste. If, at the start of the season, we were offered the chance to go to game 7 and lose i expect that we all would have taken that, and considered the season a huge success. Now, I almost wish we'd lost to Chicag.
I was really upset about the riots. For a few weeks, that's all I could think about.....and how ungrateful so many people in Vancouver were, but this pain soon passed. Around the start of July, my thoughts shifted more towards our loss.

Don't get me wrong - the two month experience was awesome on so many levels. I don't know if you live in Vancouver or not but the entire atmosphere was amazing. My playoff beard became a huge hit with friends and family (see Bar and Grill.....just posted my pics), and the entire experience....everything from the skytrain singing, the Facebook status' discussions, discussions on here, the downtown get together's, etc, etc., was like a dream. It ranks very high amongst my greatest two month experiences in life.

Even after suffering the loss to Boston, I looked back on those two months with great appreciation.....and so I can't quite agree with you that "I almost wish we'd lost to Chicago."

Having said that - the loss to Boston is one of the saddest experiences of my life. It could very easily be in my Top 5. I'm just wondering if anyone else is feeling this way? And if not - how did you get over it? I'm honestly thinking about speaking to someone about this, but don't want to look like a retard if I do (i.e. get laughed at by a counselor for telling him/her my pain about the Canucks' loss).
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

rats19 wrote:I had ! Great post going and hit wrong button on this fucking phone and lost it....but basically boiled down to.....quitters quit.
Good point rats. I hope you re-post your original thoughts as well at some point.

You're right about quitters quitting. I'll be a Canucks fan for life, but that mental image of Kesler tearing up after game 7 is just gut wrenching. If he doesn't win the cup before the 2014 Olympics, I'll honestly cheer Kesler over Team Canada in Sochi.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

ESQ wrote:I avoided all TV, newspaper, internet coverage for a good week after the series, it was just too painful to relive.

It still is painful, that's why I've thrown myself into this site and looking forward, not back. Even looking through boxscores from the SCF for another post got me seething mad again!
I'm pretty much the same way. I took a break from everything from June 15th to July 1st. Posting on here has helped me take my mind off the sadness......but is it really acceptable/healthy to feel this sad over millionaire athletes that

a) Have king sized mansions
b) Have insanely hot wives/girlfriends
c) Have $200,000 cars, etc.

I keep telling myself that this is just a game.....and that we're lucky enough to appreciate this (as opposed to living in a 3rd world country), but fuck.....this hurts. I don't even know what to do about it.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Farhan Lalji wrote:but is it really acceptable/healthy to feel this sad over millionaire athletes
I think that's perfectly normal: after all, that's how I feel, and I'm normal :D
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Thought about farhan....for me I don't feel sorry for team or players at all. At least way down on the list anyways...I feel sorry for the fans and more specifically .....ME!!!! On the emotional level we operate on 40 years of various players..numbering 4-500 . That made the canucks and thier history. Do I feel sorry for any of them.. no not really: its the fans I feel for..but they are a distant 2nd to my selfish feeling of loss i have endured.. its all about me farhan..
Last edited by rats19 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

....feeling down....
No, summer is a fine remedy for some things.

Canucks fans were understandably cranky after the finals. A few fools participated in the riot.

It's time to look forward and learn from the past. There are scores to settle.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

the instant the game was over,I turned it off, I was not about to watch Tim F******* Thomas parade around on our ice with the cup over his head. i think that may have eased my pain somewhat. i read no articles about the last game or about the F****** Bruins win.
truthfully the thing that depressed me more for that night anyway, was the bloody riots downtown. that was absolute idiocy that I am sure was planned if we won or if we lost. that made me sadder than the actual loss...at the time...
Now, i try to look ahead to next year and hope we can do it all again with a better ending.
i have been a Canucks fan since 1980 and will always be a Canucks fan....I just want them to win it all, just once...
rufus
AHL Prospect

Post by rufus »

I should have mentioned that I was in Italy for a month, missing the nashville and sharks series, returning in time for games 4 through 7, so I didn't get the rush of the run. more like the rush of trying to find internet access so i could access canucks central (at the time) to find out what happened. boo hoo to me, though, eh.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

rufus wrote:I should have mentioned that I was in Italy for a month, missing the nashville and sharks series, returning in time for games 4 through 7, so I didn't get the rush of the run. more like the rush of trying to find internet access so i could access canucks central (at the time) to find out what happened. boo hoo to me, though, eh.
I feel more sorry for you than I do the players....:)
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I've been over it for quite sometime now ... The thing with sports, for me, is that the better team usually deserves to win and when the Bruins took game 7 I couldn't help but think it was most likely meant to be. They were the much better team and they got exactly what they deserved. Their scorers scored goals, their keeper stopped pucks, and their defencemen defended. Give credit where credit is due IMO

I wasn't mad at Luongo, the Sedins, or Vigneault. I was very proud of everything the team had accomplished throughout the season. Watching the Bruins celebrate was actually enjoyable for me despite the fact it came at the expense of my team. :(

I, like many of you, believed that we were going to win the cup and until period 3 of game 7 I believed we would. Don't get me wrong, I was heartbroken, but all the same still very pleased at the season the team produced.

Getting over it wasn't easy but it took only a few days. I am completely and absolutely over it. I hope this doesn't skew anyone's opinion of my love for the team or anything.... I LOVE my Canucks and anyone that knows me can verify that. I loved this team before I cared about money, girls, or career. The Canucks were my first love and always will be. :blush:

I think we take it all next season.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Rudypoo
CC Veteran

Post by Rudypoo »

I'm over it to the point where it doesn't pop into my head once a day to spoil my mood. But it's only been about a week. Thanks for reminding me :P

Every time I walk by a magazine rack and see Sports Illustrated or The Hockey News with the Bruins on the cover....well that's still a kick in the gut.

I'll never really be over it until the Canucks win the Cup. But I'm at the point where I think that would require my slipping into some crazy alternate universe where ANYTHING is possible.