The Great Depression: Anyone else still feeling down?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: The Great Depression: Anyone else still feeling down?

Post by dr.dork »

Down ? I forgot about it long ago.

2012 ? Well, we have a as good a chance as any other team of winning in 2012. And probably a much better chance than most.

Depression is if Toronto wins. That is a really depressing thought.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Well it could be worse...we could be coiler or flames fans
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/mobile/i ... story.html
Interesting how this writer sums up the nucks but goes on to put us/them on a pedestal.
If you need air...call it in
BCReefer
CC Veteran

Post by BCReefer »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Well it could be worse...we could be coiler or flames fans
Interesting how this writer sums up the nucks but goes on to put us/them on a pedestal.
He is from Edmonton, what more can you say.
CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by CrzyCanuck »

For some reason I recovered much quicker than I had anticipated. After couple weeks all I felt was that I'm really looking forward to next season, to see how the Canucks can rebound and how certain players can redeem their names.

I guess this is what MG has done successfully. He didn't build the team for a cinderella run, he said he wanted a winning culture and i think he's done it well so far.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
RespectYourEdlers
CC Rookie

Post by RespectYourEdlers »

This is possibly going to sound weird to you guys, but the riots eased the pain of losing the Stanley Cup for a good 2 months for me. Seriously, it took that long to just forget about the riots, and they already feel like they were a year or two ago now.

I've been re-living the Cup run, but I will not be watching any SCF footage at all. Nothing. I'll watch Burrows' Game 7 goal against the Hawks, the Nashville series was a blur for me, SJ series footage and that's about it. I'm unsure if I want to watch Bieksa's goal to send us to the Cup finals. I remember looking at my dad, and we couldn't stop smiling for a good hour or so. Watched highlights/analysis because he was so surreal.

Then came the day we went up 2-0 in the series, I said "There's no way we lose 3 out of 5 games, we've got this". Boy, was I wrong. By the way, I did tear up (screw it, I'm not trying to impress anyone... I cried, not full on tears, but there were definitely some) when I watched Boston hoist the Cup. Unfortunately, I knew it was over after Bergeron scored, that was the worst part.

It hurts a lot still. Even when I hear particular songs from the CBC intros on the radio, I suffer and turn it off (Most particularly the Game 7 intro and song haunt me to this day) as fast as I can, too man bad memories.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

BCReefer wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Well it could be worse...we could be coiler or flames fans
He is from Edmonton, what more can you say.

I think that poll he quotes has more to do with where & how many the participants hailed from.
cheers
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

It sounds crazy but I'm not down. I shook off the loss almost immediately. Why? Simply because losing in game 7 of the SCF is nothing to be ashamed of. It's something to be proud of as a fan. The team took a huge step forward this year despite some of the same old tripping them up (too many injuries, too many brain cramps). Not only did they take a big step forward the management seems to be extremely competent and has the structures in place to keep the team at or near the top of the league so they get further kicks at the can. I'm not predicting a Cup next season or even a final berth as a good chunk of that does depend on "luck" as much as we don't want to admit it. Luck with injury, luck with opposition etc...

Tweaks will and need ot be made but certainly no one will be surprised if the canucks make the final 4 next year and the year after that and even the year after that. And because no one will be surprised if that occurs I find it hard to be "down" for too long. This WASand IS an excellent team that is the envy of fans of many many other teams.

There is one thing I'm down about...the crap load of money I spent to see that 8-1 embarassment.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

I was never down about our loss.

Not much you can do when your team had as many injuries as we did. It would have required a miracle to overcome that.

I was convinced we were done already right after the Hamhuis injury.

Meh, bad luck, moving right along...
spooner
CC Veteran

Post by spooner »

tantalum wrote: I'm not predicting a Cup next season or even a final berth as a good chunk of that does depend on "luck" as much as we don't want to admit it. Luck with injury, luck with opposition etc...
Yep - not too many sports fans like to think that way but it's the way it is.

I agree this team is going to be good for at least a few more years. Keep knocking on the door and eventually...
RespectYourEdlers
CC Rookie

Hamhuis was suppose to be durable, that's what he was brought here for (and lots of other reasons too of course) and yet he gets hurt in the most important series we've played in for a long time.

I swear our defense is cursed by someone every year. We could go out and get the most durable ironmen defensemen of the NHL, guaranteed they get hurt in the first 20 games of the year. It sucks Hamhuis went down because if he doesn't, I think we win the Cup. :cry:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

RespectYourEdlers wrote: We could go out and get the most durable ironmen defensemen of the NHL...
We did - Ballard and Hamhuis each had great reputations for not mission game. That didn't work so well. :?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mr.Pink
AHL Prospect

Post by Mr.Pink »

Cornuck wrote:
RespectYourEdlers wrote: We could go out and get the most durable ironmen defensemen of the NHL...
We did - Ballard and Hamhuis each had great reputations for not mission game. That didn't work so well. :?
Yeah, and people talked for years about Vacouver being a goalie graveyard.

Maybe it's a graveyard for defenseman instead.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

True dat. Hammer was like an iron man and played almost every game for the predators throughout his carerr. When he comes to Vancouver? The guy get injured like 3 different times and missed a good chunk of games.

RespectYourEdlers wrote:Hamhuis was suppose to be durable, that's what he was brought here for (and lots of other reasons too of course) and yet he gets hurt in the most important series we've played in for a long time.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Farhan you asked if anyone thought you should see a therapist over the depression you feel about the Canucks losing. If it bothered you enough to ask the question, then the answer is yes. I was upset by what I perceived to be a rip off by the league, but, in the end our guys simply could not overcome the injuries and the one sided calls. I walked around a little miffed for a day or two then moved on to do summer things. There could be a lot of reasons why this bothers you so much and they may have nothing to do with the Canucks losing. Talking to someone who knows how to deal with depression and the resulting stress and illness that comes from it is always a good thing. Good luck and hopefully we'll all be celebrating this time next year.
RespectYourEdlers
CC Rookie

Cornuck wrote:
Err, I guess we did eh? Damn, well, can we put our defensemen in body armor? Hell.. I think they'd hurt themselves putting it on :?
Last edited by RespectYourEdlers on Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.