From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by dbr »

I don't think there's any price that makes sense for the Canucks and makes this okay for the Flames.

If it is in fact true, then I hope that either the Penguins pony up for Jarome this year (knowing - as they have pretty much openly stated this year - that they'll lose him to free agency) or that Feaster loses any will he might have had to deal Iginla and he walks for nothing in the offseason.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

dbr wrote:I don't think there's any price that makes sense for the Canucks and makes this okay for the Flames.

If it is in fact true, then I hope that either the Penguins pony up for Jarome this year (knowing - as they have pretty much openly stated this year - that they'll lose him to free agency) or that Feaster loses any will he might have had to deal Iginla and he walks for nothing in the offseason.
Iginla is deeply rooted in Calgary, so there is a good probability that Feester would rape some other team getting a 1st & a top prospect for an over the hill rental - who re-signs with the Flames again anyways in the off-season.

Flames rebuild gets a jump start for free....
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I've figured it out.

Iginla wants desperately to come to Vancouver. But he knows they are probably not going to go all the way this year, even with him in the line up. So he wants to go to a team he thinks may go all the way, at the same time depleting them of future assets. Now he covets a role here in VanCity but he doesn't want the team to be stripped of all its prized assets. So being the team guy he is he figures he will save Vancouver from itself by not agreeing to waive to come here. He will go to a team, win the cup and at the same time strip them of the future. Then he signs a low ball discounted contract for the right to play with the twins.

An all around good team guy that Iginla. He helps the Flames get the best possible return while not hurting the team he wants to retire with and he helps his temporary team win a cup.

All in a days work for that leader of men.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

^Lol

Am I the only one who does not want Al Jolson, for all the same reason's I didn't want Doan's pills.

Bigger, younger, faster.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote:^Lol

Am I the only one who does not want Al Jolson, for all the same reason's I didn't want Doan's pills.

Bigger, younger, faster.
Amen...Iginla has lost his legs. Maybe, and a big maybe at 4 mill on a 1 year as a UFA but paying the kings ransom...no way in hell
If you need air...call it in
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

It's just unravelling fast and furious now for the inbreds. All the agony about Kipper tearing their hearts out and not reporting to another team if traded. The guy the loved for years now turning his back on them and seeing their tormented souls agonize is almost too good.

In a week I expect a big fire sale, and not a lot of return as Feaster and King have screwed this team up something good.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Kipper will get the Sundin treatment now from the Calgary faithful. What I found most surprising was when some of the commentators said they expected he might actually retire after this season since he will only earn 1.5 next year if he plays. Although I think he comes back if for no other reason than to have a shot at what will be his last Olympics, should he make the team.

I supported Sundin in his stance and I support Kipper in his. Tough sell but the reality of business.

Just glad Luongo hasn't taken that stance.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote:^Lol

Bigger, younger, faster.
is very much the same sort of thing your'e right, but I'm seriously tempted, I got Calgarians I could put back on my christmas list (yep im learning) and Canuck jerseys with Jolson on the back as gifts would be beyond awesome...

The added insult of the number not being 12 makes it even sweeter...hey! wasnt Judas number twelve?

is 13 available??
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

hmm gotta agree that Iginla isn't a good long term deal if we have to deal or let go of good young players but if this years edition of the Canucks wants any chance of a Stanley this year.. it makes a hell of a lot of sense.. I for one am tired of the " Wait till next year" refrain ..
1) We suck on PP.. Iginla gives us an immediate boost
2) If Kessler is returning in time to be in shape for the playoffs we got 2 top scoring lines.
3) It gives more flexibility to the top 6..
4) Next year the Sedins are another year older and their contribution is declining .. So maybe the "window" is closing ?
5) NOBODY WILL BITCHSLAP Iginla ..
6) Gillis just might get the lead out of his oversized butt and do something with Ballard, Luongo and Booth?
7) with the improvement of Raymond and Hansen and assuming Kessler is returning we can afford to deal Schroeder or Higgins or both (( Yeah its too much of a price for a rental -- but for a Stanley Cup ????))

It aint going to happen but would love to see
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Al Jolson has refused to play two way hockey for years.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I really don't think Iginla's legs are gone, and I don't think he's done. I think it is more likely that he is growing weary in Calgary where he has carried the load pretty much all alone for the last decade. He's had some sporadic help here and there, and Kiprusoff has more than done his part in the crease, but it has been the Jarome Show in Cowtown and a change of scenery will do him good. I would bet that if he lands on a team where he actually has a real linemate or two, that he looks a couple of years younger out there again.

I find it almost hilarious that there is speculation that he would like to end up in Vancouver.....that would almost be like spitting in the Flames fans collective face.....wouldn't it? I do think he would be an amazing fit here. Our PP units would both have some good right-handed shots up front. His take no prisoners attitude when it gets chippy would make him a very welcome addition to the top 6.

It will never happen though unless Calgary is willing to take Booth coming back in the deal.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Booth is a perfect fit for Calgary :)
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Topper wrote:Al Jolson has refused to play two way hockey for years.
LOL .. We put him on a line with Kes and Burrows and never have to worry about defensive play..

Of course your arguement might describe the Sedins too? They suck defensively..
Bigger and Younger??? ok so we don't trade away Booth and Ballard just to strengthen this years team?
:lol:
We just fade away and start the rebuild instead of having 1 last run at the cup ..
F that !
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Hockey Widow wrote:Kipper will get the Sundin treatment now from the Calgary faithful. What I found most surprising was when some of the commentators said they expected he might actually retire after this season since he will only earn 1.5 next year if he plays. Although I think he comes back if for no other reason than to have a shot at what will be his last Olympics, should he make the team.

I supported Sundin in his stance and I support Kipper in his. Tough sell but the reality of business.

Sundin had that right due to contract NTC- Kipper does not. All that talk about class in Calgary really has no meaning when St. Mikka doesn't get his way.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Vpete wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Kipper will get the Sundin treatment now from the Calgary faithful. What I found most surprising was when some of the commentators said they expected he might actually retire after this season since he will only earn 1.5 next year if he plays. Although I think he comes back if for no other reason than to have a shot at what will be his last Olympics, should he make the team.

Sundin had that right due to contract NTC- Kipper does not. All that talk about class in Calgary really has no meaning when St. Mikka doesn't get his way.

Of course he has the right to refuse to report and retire any damn day he pleases. Just like a team has the right to sit a player in the press box and not dress them or ask them to sit at home all season so as not to get hurt so they can be bought out. Or a team decides for medical reasons a player should not be on the ice even if the player disagrees. A team is under no obligation to play a player it has under contract yet when a player says I won't report, for family reasons I want to stay, suddenly he is in breach of his contract. Nonsense.

It's a business. Kipper cannot veto a trade. He knows that. But he has the right to stop playing hockey any day of the week. To imply otherwise is foolish. Some may not like it, but it is an option open to any player to simply say I won't play. He isn't the first player to do this and won't be the last. He could have waited until he was traded. And then decided that hey I think I will retire now. Is he in breach then? No, he simply decided to retire. But he had the balls to tell the Flames up front, I won't report, I will retire. Flames fans don't care if he retires. They would have been thrilled had he been traded for some decent return and then refused to report and retire. They then would have defended his right to do so and laughed at the team that got stuck with him, saying its all business. They would have called him loyal, and a true Flame. They are simply pissed because he did it first and unless a perspective team can persuade him to move he won't be traded.

He isn't asking for the right to pick and choose a destination. He is simply saying, I'm done. I will finish out my contract in Calgary and then I'm done.If Calgary wishes to trade him then he is done sooner. If he is using this to manipulate where he goes then I cry foul. If he says I won't report unless I like the team you want me to go to then, ya, he is being a manipulative prick. But thats not what I get from this. I get he is done and wants to be done in Calgary.