From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Interesting place that Bountiful. Here are my thoughts...

Right from the onset of the season, many Flames fans probably (wrongly) believed that their team was indeed better than it actually was. You cant blame them for that ... all fan bases are rather optimistic to begin any given season. Before the season started, most analysts and "experts" had pegged the Canucks finishing 1st in the West and being a cup contender, while the same "experts" picked the Flames to miss the post season cut again. This undoubtedly served as fuel for the rivalry and the already existing animosity for our team before the first game was played. Over the course of the season, they slowly watched the gap in the standings between our Canucks and their Flames keep growing and growing. Soon, probably before the midway point of the regular season, the jealousy had set in.

Like many, many teams over the years (leaves, Hurricanes, Devils, and Flames this season) their team, the Flames, put together a really solid stretch run toward one of the final playoff spots and almost made it in. This created the illusion that they were a better team than they actually are. The most fickle Flames fans saw this and believed it. They began to think they could beat anyone. Now, I am no psychologist but I am pretty sure that this only increased the amount of jealous, hateful feelings toward the Canucks because the general consensus at CP was "they aren't that good."

Fast forward to the playoffs and our matchup with Chicago. The lapse that went from a 3-0 series lead to a Game 7 overtime only proved out the theory that we were beatable. Throw a couple bad games from Luongo in with a couple invisible twins for a few games and we were seemingly very, very mortal.

Advance to the finals and it was truly out of control by then. It wasn't just CP, but I really felt like half of the country wanted us to lose.

As for the Flames fan base in general ... I don't consider the idiots at Cal Puke to be a good representation of what they (the majority of the fans) stand for. That would be unfairly judging the fanbase as a whole. In my mind, it would be like basing our entire fan base on what happened downtown after the loss. Its just not right.

I have many friends who are Flames fans and a couple that seem like they would fit in over there at CP just nicely but most are level headed. Same goes for the Oiler fans I am surrounded in daily. Ugh...

I don't expect them to like our team, but the BS that gets spewed over there is out of control. Why can't I just stay away? :lol:
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

BCReefer wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Kinda sad that D'arcy protects clowns like this.............and he wonders why his message board is howled at everywhere.
Because Darcy is as stupid as his posters, what site allows the crap he does and then actually think they have a place where fans from all teams can post. Majority of their main posters are just a bunch of one liners who have no original thought amount the group.
Darcy/Bingo isn't really a bad guy from what I see. He's just really loyal to his long time regulars. It IS a Flames' forum and bias is to expected.

Oiler fans and Canuck fans are the main "outsiders" that visit the site and so I don't think it's fair to say that Calpuck is "howled at everywhere."

Having said that - I do think that Calpuck is very unique in the sense that their hatred/jealousy towards another fanbase and citiy (i.e. the Canucks and Vancouver), outweighs their love and passion for their own team. I've never seen anything like it....and I've seen a LOT of fan sites before. The only thing that comes close to this is when Red Sox fans (at one of their message boards) almost hated the Yankees more than they loved their own team. It was close.....but those fans still loved the Red Sox more.

Not even Colts fans felt anywhere near that way towards Patriot fans. :|
JNF
CC Rookie

Post by JNF »

On spec the Nucks are after Owen Nolen

Might work for the Canucks. They really need a decent role model for the Sedins...and Kesler...and Burrows...and Lapierre...and Luongo...ah screw it. They need a role model for the whole team.

If you need a laugh in the morning while having a coffee :D
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Even my alberta blood relatives hate the canucks....relish in all that hurts us...there is no leeway
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Ripping on the Flames just isn't much fun anymore. They're like the Burke-era leaves, the worst of all worlds - no cap space, no prospects, crappy team. And now they've missed the playoffs back-to-back, something the Canucks haven't done since 98-2000, and we all remember how sad those years were. I don't see anything to get excited about in this rivalry for several years, other than the fans' hate. When your team has no rational hope, the only source of hope is in bringing down others and taking some satisfaction in that. I don't know what I would do/say about other teams if I was in their shoes......I just thank god that I'm not :)
Rudypoo
CC Veteran

Post by Rudypoo »

ESQ wrote:Ripping on the Flames just isn't much fun anymore.
Gotta disagree there, but maybe that's just because I live in Calgary. I for one will continue to repeatedly kick them while they're down, because it's not going to last forever. I don't expect their fortunes to turn around anytime soon, but when they do I'm never going to look back on these days and wish I had been nicer to Flames fans :mrgreen:
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Rudypoo wrote:
ESQ wrote:Ripping on the Flames just isn't much fun anymore.
Gotta disagree there, but maybe that's just because I live in Calgary. I for one will continue to repeatedly kick them while they're down, because it's not going to last forever. I don't expect their fortunes to turn around anytime soon, but when they do I'm never going to look back on these days and wish I had been nicer to Flames fans :mrgreen:

Yeah yaeh
Get that ****in' stick in their side. Let 'em know you're there! Get that lumber in his teeth. Let 'em know you're there!
:D
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

[quote="Farhan Lalji"

Darcy/Bingo isn't really a bad guy from what I see

Having said that - I do think that Calpuck is very unique |[/quote]

Step the fuck off your elephant or whatever it is you guys ride.

Darcy( what a faggetty name for a man) and Jiri the baglicker are assholes..........you know it and I know it. I have the balls to say it........your head has embedded itself up your anus.

Yes it's a unique board. It stands alone as the biggest band of idiots captured together on line
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

It's not Darcy......it's D'Arcy which is a whole hell of a lot worse.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:[quote="Farhan Lalji"

Darcy/Bingo isn't really a bad guy from what I see

Having said that - I do think that Calpuck is very unique |

Darcy( what a faggetty name for a man) and Jiri the baglicker are assholes..........you know it and I know it. I have the balls to say it........your head has embedded itself up your anus.

Yes it's a unique board. It stands alone as the biggest band of idiots captured together on line[/quote]

So.:.......what are you saying blob?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Farhan Lalji wrote: Having said that - I do think that Calpuck is very unique in the sense that their hatred/jealousy towards another fanbase and citiy (i.e. the Canucks and Vancouver), outweighs their love and passion for their own team. I've never seen anything like it....and I've seen a LOT of fan sites before. The only thing that comes close to this is when Red Sox fans (at one of their message boards) almost hated the Yankees more than they loved their own team. It was close.....but those fans still loved the Red Sox more.

Not even Colts fans felt anywhere near that way towards Patriot fans. :|
Yeah I am with you on that too. I don't think Flames fans are as passionate about their team (at the moment) as they are passionate about hating rival teams. I've been to the Saddledome a few too many times during a Canucks/Flames or Flames/Oilers game to have a different opinion.

I have a good friend in Calgary who just finds it great when any misfortune comes to the Canucks, ANY sort of misfortune. He will down play anything happening to the Flames because there isn't much good there and rip anything the Canucks have accomplished. So my response when he mocked us about Game 7 in our own barn was, "Did you happen to golf with any of the Flames? I'm sure you have a few times since the regular season ended." It burns him, and I have a great shit-eating grin when we yap about it. He gets to see the Flames players on a semi-regular basis because of his job, so we get into a bit and it's always fun watching him squirm. That and I think he hates losing sports arguments to a woman.

When it comes to Bountiful, maybe we should relent. It's not nice to argue with people who have no sort of artillery to respond. ;)
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

Yes it's a unique board. It stands alone as the biggest band of idiots captured together on line
This is a great example of why one shouldn't drink and post.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

mathonwy wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:

This is a great example of why one shouldn't drink and post.
Some of my best work is done drunk.
Thanks for the advice though, Father Mulcahey .
Farhan and I do go back a wee bit, so I doubt he'll take too much offense to my drunken ranting..........but hey you keep on keepin' on .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

tantalum wrote:It's not Darcy......it's D'Arcy which is a whole hell of a lot worse.
It could be even worse. His name could be Ponthus. :eh:
2011..... the one that got away.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
tantalum wrote:It's not Darcy......it's D'Arcy which is a whole hell of a lot worse.
It could be even worse. His name could be Ponthus. :eh:
Or Hillary :P
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde