From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

BCExpat wrote:
rats19 wrote:You do know none of us cares right?
Hey - it's a slow summer as far as hockey news. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :roll:
I am curious to see how that Ryan Howse guy develops. While we still had a WHL team here in the Wack the rumour was that he'd be leaving us this off season to join the Heat. Pretty decent offence with 217 points in 262 games with the Bruins... although the -68 lacks something to be desired. Then again it was our Bruins.
2011..... the one that got away.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
BCExpat wrote:
rats19 wrote:You do know none of us cares right?
Hey - it's a slow summer as far as hockey news. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :roll:
I am curious to see how that Ryan Howse guy develops. While we still had a WHL team here in the Wack the rumour was that he'd be leaving us this off season to join the Heat. Pretty decent offence with 217 points in 262 games with the Bruins... although the -68 lacks something to be desired. Then again it was our Bruins.
The Flames brass is pretty high on him. It'll be interesting to see how he pans out. There are a lot of young guys like him, who put up big numbers in minors, but can't translate that success at the NHL level (or in this case a higher level in the Minors).

You live in the 'Wack? I was just there visiting my mother a couple of weeks ago.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

BCExpat wrote:http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/c ... look_n.htm

Looks like USA today picked the Flames Byron as a sleeper candidate for rookie of the year. I don't think it's likely, but considering how the Flames get slagged for not having any rookie talent, to have one of their players mentioned as a possible candidate for rookie of the year, gives us Flames fans something to look forward in the upcoming season :drink:
Nothing more definite than a possible sleeper candidate. Really, what does that even mean?
One sleeper candidate this season could be Calgary Flames smallish center Paul Byron
With this level of commitment, I can safely say there are 30 sleeper candidates.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Well, as I said in my post - I think it's very unlikely - so, yeah, I agree with you. The point is, of all the possible sleepers, it was a Flames prospect that was mentioned (remember - this is a team that is considered by many, not to have a lot of prospects). Anyway, being mentioned is probably his kiss of death :roll:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
jackalman
CC Veteran

Post by jackalman »

BCExpat wrote:Well, as I said in my post - I think it's very unlikely - so, yeah, I agree with you. The point is, of all the possible sleepers, it was a Flames prospect that was mentioned (remember - this is a team that is considered by ALL, not to have a lot of prospects). Anyway, being mentioned is probably his kiss of death :roll:
Fixed that for ya.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

BCExpat wrote:........The point is, of all the possible sleepers, it was a Flames prospect that was mentioned..........
True fans make the best of it. :thumbs:
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

sagebrush wrote:
BCExpat wrote:........The point is, of all the possible sleepers, it was a Flames prospect that was mentioned..........
You're right, but being a Flames fan, there isn't much to get excited about these days, so any little string of hope is grasped with both hands :look:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

BCExpat wrote:
sagebrush wrote:
You're right, but being a Flames fan, there isn't much to get excited about these days, so any little string of hope is grasped with both hands :look:
You can thank "Sutter Hockey"(management not coaching) for that. Which is actually too bad for the Flames fans because for quite a long time, the fans were very much supporters of Darryl. Cupboards are bare because he thought the Flames were in a 'win now' situation when he should have thought more about the future.

As a Flames fan, BCExpat, what did you think of the Phaneuf trade? What that good for the Flames?
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

[/quote]
As a Flames fan, BCExpat, what did you think of the Phaneuf trade? What that good for the Flames?[/quote]

I don't mind that they traded Phaneuf. He didn't really progress much in his last couple years with the Flames. He seemed to be out of position a lot, and his defensive game took a step back. So, even though he was highly touted, he was definitely over rated. Having said that, Sutter could have done better when trading him. The Flames don't have much to show for the trade. To add insult to injury, they also gave away Auley - someone they could have used now. They didn't get a bad return on trading White, but still, it doesn't make up for the overall bad trade. In short, Phaneuf needed to go, but they didn't get enough for him - even if he is over rated.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Well at least they aren't obsessed with this city/hockey team.

Wow.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread ... c&t=106283
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Well at least they aren't obsessed with this city/hockey team.

Wow.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread ... c&t=106283
180 pages on a thread? :lol:

Nope, they don't obsess much over Vancouver at all. :eh:

Addition: This is the only real Flames thread we have going on here and it's to talk about the mess we all call Bountiful. We have 71 posts and a few pages...180? :lol: F*ck yeah the Canucks are popular :mex:
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

It's pretty slow these days regarding hockey in Calgary, so they have to discuss something :roll:

As one poster on CP put it - nothing like pre-season for all the Flames fans to try on their rose coloured glass. Mine fit just fine :lol: :drink: I'm sure they will be broken by the end of October.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

BCExpat wrote:It's pretty slow these days regarding hockey in Calgary, so they have to discuss something :roll:

As one poster on CP put it - nothing like pre-season for all the Flames fans to try on their rose coloured glass. Mine fit just fine :lol: :drink: I'm sure they will be broken by the end of October.
I have met some really good Flames fans in recent years, and just like Vancouver, we have our share of idiots. Just comes with the territory of being hockey obsessed cities. :)
Hammond Aigs
AHL Prospect

Post by Hammond Aigs »

Yeah, well, haters gotta hate, and the terrible events of that evening are pretty good fuel for that sort of thing. It's really sad that the following morning's feel-good story (volunteer cleanup of the riot damage; heartfelt messages of sorrow for the damage and anger at the rioters), doesn't get more play - I felt it was an affirmation of the goodness of most people and a common rejection of the previous night's thuggery. This of course doesn't affirm the haters' rightiousness, so you'll see no mention of it on CalPuke, but it doesn't matter. I haven't changed estimation of this city's worth because of the venom-filled, mindless statements of Vancouver haters.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

LotusBlossom wrote:I have met some really good Flames fans in recent years, and just like Vancouver, we have our share of idiots. Just comes with the territory of being hockey obsessed cities. :)
Too many people forget that it is only a game. I also think it has a lot to do with the animity of the internet - people post a lot of things they would never say to someone in person. As you said - there are good fans and bad fans cheering for pretty much every sports franchise. You have to learn to ignore the idiots.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked