From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by Topper »

Feaster calls GMMG on Bobby Lou's availability.

GMMG laughs harder than we do.

Tells Jay to call Tambelini and ask for Khabby.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Vpete wrote:
okcanuck wrote:So I see the tards over at Calpuck have an issue with their play-off tickets sent to them by the Flames. What a waste of a tree.
No this one is even better http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=124253

The Flamers have no respect for the handicapped. go figure
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to V_Pete For This Useful Post: DawgSausage, Mids, SYKO, Tipper, Ruts18 (oh wait, that's only 5, well at least you can't call the Flamers for too many men on) 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well with Kipper hurt what do they do?
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Irving is the only other goaltender they have signed.

Hammond Aigs
AHL Prospect

Post by Hammond Aigs »

Jay Feast'er Famine quickly signs Abbotsford Heat 'keeper Danny Taylor (no details on term or money). Goalie controversy squelched.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Fea ... story.html
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fuck me.... D'Arcy I owe you a good bottle. Your board is GOLD !!!!!!

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=124442

Poster Bertuzzied is a funny feller. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpost.p ... tcount=223
That is correct, when we signed Jaybo, it was expected that we would go much further in the playoffs with a top 4 D line up of

Jaybo, Phaneuf, Reger, Gio

The problem is, our management really screwed up.

When it was clear things aren't working, our owners didnt want to rebuild as the dome was consistently selling out so they didnt change the product.

Now here we are in 2013. Our line up isn't very good. There is no quick fix.

At this point instead of complaining about a 9-12th finish, would you rather
a) rebuild (trade Iggy, Kipper, etc)
b)hope that with the addition of guys like Hudler and Cervenka, we try our best to get into the playoffs with Hartley's new style of play?

I don't know if I can sit through the team getting gutted and rebuilt after missing the playoffs for 3 straight years. It would take another 3-5 years.

Once you trade the old guys like Iggy and Kipper and Tangs, you are literally left with a team full of NOBODYs that might not even make the AHL playoffs.

The way I see it, it's an absolute awful position to be in as a fan with no light at the end of the tunnel so what I'M choosing to do is understand that management messed up, understand our team is crappy and try to still enjoy watching the game (which is now easier with Hartley at the helm)

Ya it sucks to see how far we've fallen.

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote:http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpost.p ... tcount=223
That is correct, when we signed Jaybo, it was expected that we would go much further in the playoffs with a top 4 D line up of

Jaybo, Phaneuf, Reger, Gio

The problem is, our management really screwed up.

When it was clear things aren't working, our owners didnt want to rebuild as the dome was consistently selling out so they didnt change the product.

Now here we are in 2013. Our line up isn't very good. There is no quick fix.

At this point instead of complaining about a 9-12th finish, would you rather
a) rebuild (trade Iggy, Kipper, etc)
b)hope that with the addition of guys like Hudler and Cervenka, we try our best to get into the playoffs with Hartley's new style of play?

I don't know if I can sit through the team getting gutted and rebuilt after missing the playoffs for 3 straight years. It would take another 3-5 years.

Once you trade the old guys like Iggy and Kipper and Tangs, you are literally left with a team full of NOBODYs that might not even make the AHL playoffs.

The way I see it, it's an absolute awful position to be in as a fan with no light at the end of the tunnel so what I'M choosing to do is understand that management messed up, understand our team is crappy and try to still enjoy watching the game (which is now easier with Hartley at the helm)

Ya it sucks to see how far we've fallen.
You know, I almost feel that guy's pain... but then it goes away.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I can see Iginla being a trade deadline day deal, if he waives. I can see the Pens trying to land him for one more run at the cup. Other teams that may be interested if the price is right: Ottawa, SJS, Boston, Canucks, Detroit, NJD. I'd love to have him for a cup run but I doubt the price will be right. He is a good piece for a team that is a contender to have going into the playoffs. He played well with Crosby at the Olympics.

He may be a little slow for our forward group but I'd love to have him on a wing with Schroeder and Raymond.

If Calgary falls out by April then they need to try and move him for whatever they can get in return. They can always re-sign him in the off season if he wants to finish his career there. But Calgary needs to try and get something for him.

He won't bring a home run return, a couple of picks and maybe a prospect. But if there is a team that sees him as the missing piece then he could get a decent return.
The only HW the Canucks need
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Hockey Widow wrote: He may be a little slow for our forward group but I'd love to have him on a wing with Schroeder and Raymond.

He won't bring a home run return, a couple of picks and maybe a prospect. But if there is a team that sees him as the missing piece then he could get a decent return.
I would gladly take Iginla on this team if they can sign him to a reasonable short-term extension....hell I might even be ok with having him as a rental for a Cup push as long as the price isn't too high.

Iginla has a NTC so he controls where he goes but I can't see him making life too difficult on Calgary by being too restrictive over what team he would be willing to go to as long as the team has a legitimate chance of winning.

Considering Iginla lives in the Okanagan during the off-season I could definitely see him wanting to come to Vancouver and maybe finish his career here but I don't see him strong-arming the Flames into anything.

The quote Topper shared from bountiful pretty much sums up my thoughts on the Flames. They've put off the rebuild for too long and are now likely going to lose Iginla for 50 cents on the dollar. If they would have moved Iginla last year and avoided signing Wideman and Hudler to big contracts, they'd get significant assets in return and a ton of cap flexibility moving forward with a reduced cap and a number of teams desperate to shed salary through trade and buy outs.

As it stands, I see the Flames playing .500 hockey for much of this year, which only compounds their problems by likely not getting the team a pick inside the top 10. If they would have thought about the future last year they'd likely be in line for a high pick with a great prospect and another pick if they would have traded Iginla.

The strip it down and rebuild strategy isn't always the best, but when you have an older team with big contracts and only capable of playing mediocre hockey, and will do so 4 years running without having a high pick in the draft, you're much worse off than cutting older salaries and drafting high for a couple of years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I really can't believe how delusional most of those people are. A good number of those fans feel the team will be all right just if they get their injured players back and maybe add one or two pieces. I guess if those pieces are Crosby and Pietrangelo they could be right.

Calgary is old, small, soft, slow, shitty defensively and have a LOT of 4/5 d men and 2nd/ 3rd line tweener forwards. They define mediocrity. Taking a completely unbiased look at that team I would say they are 6 - 8 pieces aay from being a contending team.
1st line centre, 1st line winger who can score
2nd line winger with tenacity and can put up points
3rd line winger who can pk, hard nosed and quick
top pairing d man who can move the puck, play the pp
4th line energy guy who can keep teams honest.... has to be able to play

A new goalie. Kipper is 38 and basically done. I could also make a case that they need a 2nd line centre as well. Backlund MIGHT be a decent player in a sheltered situation but really they may as well ship his ass out too.

Thing is their prospects aren't even any better than Vancouver's are despite the fact they have an older, shittier team in the present. Life is good. :lol: :lol: :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: 1st line centre, 1st line winger who can score
2nd line winger with tenacity and can put up points
3rd line winger who can pk, hard nosed and quick
top pairing d man who can move the puck, play the pp
4th line energy guy who can keep teams honest.... has to be able to play

A new goalie. Kipper is 38 and basically done
So to summarize they need:

Daniel and Henrik
Burrows
Higgins
Edler
Volpatti
Schneider

And they might have a contender. No problem, when's the trade deadline again?

:lol:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cowfume huffers....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

The place is like a drug for me and I always seem to get high:
Thought i'd pass along some highlights from a speaking engagement with Ken King (this is all paraphrased so I hope it's reflects what he said well):

On Iginla: Paraphrased "We didn't invest 80 Million dollars in Iginla to send him off to another team to win there", He also mentioned that they don't owe it to Iginla to have him go win somewhere else [Edit: The tone here seemed directed at fan sentiment, and not anything about dealings between the club and Iginla], he should be here to help us win. Would like to see Iginla be a first ballot hall of famer (and I think the inference was that he play his entire career here).

I don't think he could really say anything else, but he did make it a point of addressing it. I'm sure they could change their mind, but it sounds like the plan is to stick with #12 til the end. I always expected this, as I don't think winning the cup is the most important thing for Iginla.
from this thread http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=124991

Sometimes you have to know when an investment has gone bad. Holy crap and they rip on the Canucks for Luongo.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.