From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by BCExpat »

It looks like Iggy has been asked to sit out tonights game against the Avs. Looks like the long awaited trade is finally about to go down.

As for Kipper - I don't mind if they don't trade him. Hell, we have nobody after him, that can carry the work load.

What is very frustrating to me, is that the Flames Ownership and management look like the keystone cops. They don't seem to have any idea of how to run the hockey club. Since Harley and Doc passed away, the rest of the ownership seems to be a complete cluster fuck.

Anyway, I'm hoping for the best with the Iggy trade, but I'm not expecting to hit a home run. I just hope they don't completely shit the bed on this.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

TSN says it's Iginla to Boston for Alexander Khokhlachev (who TSN believes is Boston's best non-goalie prospect), Matt Bartkowski and a 1st round draft pick.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Island Nucklehead wrote:TSN says it's Iginla to Boston for Alexander Khokhlachev (who TSN believes is Boston's best non-goalie prospect), Matt Bartkowski and a 1st round draft pick.
That isn't a home run, but if it's true, then it's probably fair compensation. Khokhlachev is projected to be a 2nd line centre at best, and isn't a huge player at 5'-10". Bartkowski is probably a 3rd pairing D man. The first round draft pick will end up being late. So, overall, not great, but fair. Flames fans aren't going to like this.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

That's a bunt single or maybe a chink hit to right field with 2 out and nobody on. They should have dealt Iginla and Kipper in 2011. I realize they both had NTC but that was the time to deal them. They could have returned quite a substantial bounty back then.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The dreaded Bartkowski-Backlund-Baertschi.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Topper wrote:The dreaded Bartkowski-Backlund-Baertschi.
Good thing Barkowski is a D man.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

BCExpat wrote:
Topper wrote:The dreaded Bartkowski-Backlund-Baertschi.
Good thing Barkowski is a D man.
I s he related to Chuck at BuyMore?
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

So finally the Flames fans can hate the Booins along with us....fuckin Iginla! (hoping for the highest pick possible)

Edit-Oh wait...if they win, it fucks the Flames.....Go Bruins? :shock:
If you need air...call it in
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Don't like the return for the Flames at all. Khokolachev is an average, small center, Bartkowki is barely NHL caliber at age 24 and the 1st is a low pick. No idea why they make the trade now instead of waiting a few days and seeing if they got a better offer. Makes no sense, except Feaster is simply bad at his job.

The timing is very odd, but the Flames are going to be even worse net year. At least they are in our division still.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Flames fans learning the value of their betrothed.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Diehard1 wrote:Don't like the return for the Flames at all. Khokolachev is an average, small center, Bartkowki is barely NHL caliber at age 24 and the 1st is a low pick. No idea why they make the trade now instead of waiting a few days and seeing if they got a better offer. Makes no sense, except Feaster is simply bad at his job.

The timing is very odd, but the Flames are going to be even worse net year. At least they are in our division still.
To make things even worse, the 1st round pick is conditional on Iggy resigning with the Bruins. With this ownership group, they will never be competitive. Good thing I have distanced myself emotionally from this cluster fuck.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BCExpat wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:Don't like the return for the Flames at all. Khokolachev is an average, small center, Bartkowki is barely NHL caliber at age 24 and the 1st is a low pick. No idea why they make the trade now instead of waiting a few days and seeing if they got a better offer. Makes no sense, except Feaster is simply bad at his job.

To make things even worse, the 1st round pick is conditional on Iggy resigning with the Bruins. With this ownership group, they will never be competitive. Good thing I have distanced myself emotionally from this cluster fuck.
Strathmore is pretty far but there's always room on our wagon :sly:
If you need air...call it in
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

[/quote]Strathmore is pretty far but there's always room on our wagon :sly:[/quote]

Nah, it's not going to happen - but thanks anyway :lol:

Wow - TSN screwed that one up. Iggy goes to Pittsburgh - not Boston. And the first rounder is not conditional. I don't know much about the other two players involved, but I'm happier that Iggy is going to the Pens. I guess I'll be cheering for the Pens in the playoffs.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Calgary got screwed.

Pittsburgh is near the top of the standings, if they win it all the first rounder gets them the 30th overall pick. Nothing special there.

The prospects aren't anything special either. Both developing in the NCAA, the younger guy (20) is just over a point-per-game in college, and the older one (22) is less than a point-per-game.

Generally speaking I find that players that put up point-per-game numbers in junior or college end up being 60 point guys in the NHL.....at best.

I know Iginla's value had dropped significantly, but I didn't think he was only worth a 27th-30th overall pick and a couple of prospects who MIGHT one day contribute on a 2nd line.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I don't think his value dropped. First, I think some over valued him as a rental. Second, he controlled where he wanted to go.

From my sources, and yes, he knows Iginla personally, but no he doesn't know the whole story:

The deal Feaster favoured was the Boston deal. The first was not going to be conditional, it was the two players named plus a first. The LA deal involved Bernier, a first and something else which the Flames liked but Iginla said no to LA. His thoughts were if he was moving as a rental, because none of the teams were prepared to talk extension, then he wanted to go where he felt the best chance of a cup was going to be. He also had conversations with Crosby and two other players on the Pens, don't know who. After the Morrow deal he was uncertain if the Pens would get back into the picture as their previous offer to Feaster had been turned down.

So the confusion, if there ever was any was simple. Feaster presented the offers and told Iginla the Flames preferred the Boston offer. Iginla left the arena and went home to discuss with his agent and family. Once the Boston game was over the Bruins wanted to consummate the deal. Iginla said he was still thinking it over. Feaster tried to persuade Iginla to take the Boston deal, it was the better of the two deals on the table, Iginla had already said no to LA so there were two teams standing. Iginla was torn but he wanted the Pens. Once the Pens made their final offer Iginla knew that it was still possible. After the Morrow trade he wasn't sure anymore if a deal to the Pens was in the cards but the Pens stepped up. Iginla decided for himself that he wanted to play with Crosby and the Pens. At that point he was no longer prepared to waive to go anywhere else. Feaster's hands were tied. He could pull the deal and get nothing or take the best that he could get.

By the way, the Pens were said to have offered more before they pulled the trigger for Morrow but Feaster told them it wasn't enough. Iginla all along said his first choice was the Pens so once they stepped up his decision was really simple.

This is the exact situation we face with Luongo. If MG gets an offer he likes but one of the Florida teams steps up with an offer then Luongo could do the exact same thing, take the one where he prefers to play.

So value is relative to the player who holds the NTC/NMC. I really don't think Feaster had any other options, other than to refuse to trade Iginla. So he got something rather than nothing.

In his press conference Feaster said that he and Iginla had already talked about an extension and that Feaster told him it wasn't in the plans. So Iginla knew he was done in Calgary. All along, if he moved, he wanted to go to Pittsburg. If that wasn't possible then he gave a short list of other teams he would CONSIDER.

I think the Pens played this perfectly. They knew where Iginla preferred to play but at the same time they did offer up two prospects and a 1st for a rental player.
The only HW the Canucks need