From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by Vpete »

that's some good stuff Blobby! Hi quality kool aid they are serving over there at Cal Puke on Backlund. Good lord comparing him to Kesler, he'll be lucky to be Harold Druken!
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mëds wrote:
dbr wrote:You still can't drop more than a spot in the draft order, for what it's worth.
How does that work then?

If Colorado wins the lottery and gets the 1st overall pick, Calgary automatically gets the 2nd pick?
My understanding is that the lottery is for 1st overall, and the rest of the picks are assigned in reverse order of the standings.

So if 30th overall wins the lottery then the entire draft is in reverse order, if 24th overall wins the lottery they draft 1st, 30th overall goes 2nd, 29th goes 3rd, 28th is 4th, 27th 5th, 26th 6th, 25th 7th and the rest of the draft goes in reverse order of the final standings.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Vpete wrote:that's some good stuff Blobby! Hi quality kool aid they are serving over there at Cal Puke on Backlund. Good lord comparing him to Kesler, he'll be lucky to be Harold Druken!
Only if he significantly ups his daily alcohol intake.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Vpete wrote:that's some good stuff Blobby! Hi quality kool aid they are serving over there at Cal Puke on Backlund. Good lord comparing him to Kesler, he'll be lucky to be Harold Druken!
Well also they figure the Flames will go out and sign guys like Ribeiro, Clarkson, Clowe and Roy to one year deals at high salaries and then flip them at the deadline for picks and prospects. I mean who wouldn't want to go play in Alberta for 60 games on terrible team then get flipped to god knows where at the deadline all the while risking long term security and a chance to pick where you want to play.

It's fucking brilliant right. I know if I was 29 - 30 and looking at maybe one last big long term deal I would probably sign the one year deal instead if Calgary wanted me. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well, there is some talk that Mason Raymond would welcome an opportunity to play in Calgary, but not on a one year. MAybe they give him 5 years at 5 million per?
The only HW the Canucks need
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Hockey Widow wrote:Well, there is some talk that Mason Raymond would welcome an opportunity to play in Calgary, but not on a one year. MAybe they give him 5 years at 5 million per?
Sign and trade.

He can only sign for seven years as a UFA correct? So we sign him to an eight year deal at $4.5M per and then trade him for some picks!

NBA style.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:Well, there is some talk that Mason Raymond would welcome an opportunity to play in Calgary, but not on a one year. MAybe they give him 5 years at 5 million per?
Does Raymond care about winning that little that he'd go to Calgary?

No way is he worth $5M. That would be a horrible deal for any team.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

herb wrote:

Alberta is home for him and I agree he isn't worth 5 million. I forgot to put this in my post :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

I would think the only way sign any short term deal in Calgary is for big money and a NMC...
Otherwise you're an idiot and your agent should be shitcanned...

Even for big money if might not be wise for your career. A couple of years playing with plumbers and ass clowns is going to make you look bad come your next UFA season..
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Well also they figure the Flames will go out and sign guys like Ribeiro, Clarkson, Clowe and Roy to one year deals at high salaries and then flip them at the deadline for picks and prospects. :lol:
Well, if this is what Feaster does, then that is it for me as a Flames fan. He had better be looking at building through draft picks and prospects, but not by signing a bunch of expensive free agents and trading them off. Let's see what he does with 3 first round picks (one of which should be in the top 3) in a very deep draft.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Hockey Widow wrote:
herb wrote:

Alberta is home for him and I agree he isn't worth 5 million. I forgot to put this in my post :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I expect the pay cut could be a big influence on any decision to stay. GMMG can't expect Raymond to give the nucks a discount after that.
Last edited by BingoTough on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Raymond situation is unique. He was given a big contract based upon the promise he had shown earlier and was expected to play up to the pay level he was given. Two injury affected seasons prevented that from happening. The second injury could very well have been career ending or certainly career limiting so GMMG gave him a reduced salary and term so that he could attempt to comeback from injury and fulfill the promise he once showed.

This season, Raymond has done that. Balls have dropped. The difference is the new CBA and a shrinking cap. For Raymond to sign with the Canucks, some other cap issues need to be resolved and he will be due Higgins' range of salary.

There may be bigger paydays available, but I believe all the perennial contenders will have cap issues to deal with. Raymond and his ilk will need to take what they can to play on a contender or be two year rentals to a team like the Flames.

The Raymond to Calgary conjecture, and that is all I have seen, is conjecture, is based only on his Alberta roots. It is the same conjecture we see everytime a BC boy becomes a free agent.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Topper wrote:The Raymond situation is unique. He was given a big contract based upon the promise he had shown earlier and was expected to play up to the pay level he was given. Two injury affected seasons prevented that from happening. The second injury could very well have been career ending or certainly career limiting so GMMG gave him a reduced salary and term so that he could attempt to comeback from injury and fulfill the promise he once showed.

This season, Raymond has done that. Balls have dropped. The difference is the new CBA and a shrinking cap. For Raymond to sign with the Canucks, some other cap issues need to be resolved and he will be due Higgins' range of salary.

There may be bigger paydays available, but I believe all the perennial contenders will have cap issues to deal with. Raymond and his ilk will need to take what they can to play on a contender or be two year rentals to a team like the Flames.

The Raymond to Calgary conjecture, and that is all I have seen, is conjecture, is based only on his Alberta roots. It is the same conjecture we see everytime a BC boy becomes a free agent.
I agree with everything you say. You complete me :eh:

Ultimately I would like to see him stay. If he's at Higgins dollars, I think that might be optimistic, but well worth it.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Topper wrote:The Raymond to Calgary conjecture, and that is all I have seen, is conjecture, is based only on his Alberta roots. It is the same conjecture we see everytime a BC boy becomes a free agent.
Worked with Hamhuis and Garrison.

...stupid Schultz.
2011..... the one that got away.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mason Raymond better have a hell of a good agent if he is going to convince Gillis that he is worth substantially more than Chris Higgins.

IMO, Higgins and Raymond should be financially comparable. Raymond is better offensively, but Higgins is a better two-way player and plays with (way) more grit than Raymond. Any of the better offensive talent Raymond has, higgins easily makes up for in other areas.