From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by Hockey Widow »

All the love for AV over there now that he is a Ranger. I swear they just want to criticize the Canucks no matter what they do. But then go to the thread under who the Canucks next coach will be and it is filled with hate for AV's style, how he coached the players to dive and whine.

I guess the fact that I read their stuff and come back here to post makes me just as bad.

Let the season end so the off season can begin please! Need to get back to some Luongo rumours. Like the Panthers are back in the number one slot for getting him. Comes from the same guy who told me Torts will be out next coach. Take it for what its worth. But the deal will be an accommodation deal for Luongo so no big return, just a lot of cap space.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Panthers are back in the number one slot for getting him.
I say they've always been in the number one slot.

When a player of Luongo's magnitude wants to go from a big market team to a specific small market team

... it's incumbent upon both teams to make it happen

(especially when the two teams are located as far away from each other as possible).

Lu will win games and SELL TICKETS in Florida (the owners were quick to okay his salary).

And it makes the Canucks look classy to send him to where he wants to go.

WIN WIN

The only problem is that Gillis and Tallon have had a hard time determining "fair value".

Also Tallon thought his team was good enough to make the playoffs again without Lu. :roll:

I've said it all along: He's going to the Panthers.

Book it. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

HW's little inside nuggets alone have elevated the value of this here hockey board.

At this point, cap space and a couple late round picks is about as good as it gets. When Luo goes on to play lights out for whatever team gets him, a long list of other suitors will be holding their dicks knowing they could have had him for next to nothing.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

coco_canuck wrote: At this point, cap space and a couple late round picks is about as good as it gets.
Lou has to be worth more than that.

The Leaf-loving eastern media did their best to make Lou's value seem lower than it really is.

But GMs see through all that bullshit.

I still think a package like Matthias and Petrovic can be had.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Unless Ed Snider and his Comca$t want him
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:Unless Ed Snider and his Comca$t want him
Nah, their offer would merely drive up the asset-package Canucks inevitably get from the Panthers.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:
coco_canuck wrote: At this point, cap space and a couple late round picks is about as good as it gets.
Lou has to be worth more than that.
He's worth what folks are willing to pay... and so far that's less than a second round pick. The length of his contract has apparently totally crushed his value.

It sucks, but I would be happy at this point if he fetched a 2nd and a half-decent prospect. The team really needs to move on from this bullshit and the cap space is the biggest asset we're like to receive.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Oh the team will definitely move on from this bullshit in short order Rummy.

How can you be so sure his value is so low?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:Oh the team will definitely move on from this bullshit in short order Rummy.

Well I only know what everybody else knows... Gillis couldn't move him all season and the most interested bidder wouldn't take him for a 2nd rounder on deadline day.

So basically Gillis couldn't give him away to the leaves. Maybe another party will step up and be willing to pay more...

But I wouldn't count on it.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: Well I only know what everybody else knows... Gillis couldn't move him all season and the most interested bidder wouldn't take him for a 2nd rounder on deadline day.
Not sure how sure "everybody" can be sure about any of that.

However everybody knows it's easier to trade for a #1 goalie and the salary that goes with that in the off-season.
Rumsfeld wrote: So basically Gillis couldn't give him away to the leaves.
True or not, that has no bearing on the market for Luongo this summer.

Teams will make offers hoping Lou choo-choo-chooses them.

And, in the end, Gillis and Tallon will figure out a fair price.

Lou is still a top 10 goaltender for at least another 4 years.

That's gold to teams that have been suffering with poor goaltending.

He has value Rummy.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Oh the team will definitely move on from this bullshit in short order Rummy.

Well I only know what everybody else knows... Gillis couldn't move him all season and the most interested bidder wouldn't take him for a 2nd rounder on deadline day.

So basically Gillis couldn't give him away to the leaves. Maybe another party will step up and be willing to pay more...

But I wouldn't count on it.

No, he could have given him away to the leaves but chose not to. He was prepared to give him away for a couple of picks and a back up but the leaves wanted more blood from MG, he didn't give in and give Luongo away. I agree with Doc, the eastern media and the leaves did all they could to devalue Luongo. I think he gets moved, I think we gets something decent back but no where near real hockey value. The cap space is key without us having to bring a contract back.
The only HW the Canucks need
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Strangelove wrote: I still think a package like Matthias and Petrovic can be had.
Hope you're right, that would be a great deal for us.

I sort of see it the same way Rummy does, the Canucks were willing to move him for two 2nds at the deadline so teams probably aren't offering a whole lot more at this point unless, like Topper says, Gillis can create some sort of bidding war with a team like the Flyers.

The ace in the hole for Gillis would be to take back a contract, say Upshall and his $3.5M contract for next two years, and buy-out that deal in order to get back something more significant in return. But if what HW and others say is right, that Aquaman isn't keen on buy-outs, then we shouldn't really expect that to happen.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

coco_canuck wrote:HW's little inside nuggets alone have elevated the value of this here hockey board.

At this point, cap space and a couple late round picks is about as good as it gets. When Luo goes on to play lights out for whatever team gets him, a long list of other suitors will be holding their dicks knowing they could have had him for next to nothing.
No doubt, damn Florida always bending MG over a barrel. :P
-
And as SL said even just getting Matthias would be awesome imo.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Strangelove wrote: And, in the end, Gillis and Tallon will figure out a fair price.

Lou is still a top 10 goaltender for at least another 4 years.

That's gold to teams that have been suffering with poor goaltending.

He has value Rummy.
There's no doubt Luongo is gold. Good hockey people should know this but his contract still carries some risk and with the cap going down teams are feeling the cap crunch, even if it only ends up being for one year with the way league revenues seem to be trending.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Multiple media sources, both eastern and western, stated that Gillis dropped his offer to two 2nds on deadline day and when that was refused, he lowballed it to a single 2nd in an effort to get Lou da fok outta here and end the drama.

Reporters brought this up at the press conference after and Gillis didn't deny it. He admitted to basically giving Lou away because he felt they owed it to Roberto to end his suffering. :roll: The leaves would only have been picking up a fraction of his '13 salary if they'd picked him up then, so I kind of doubt Nonis is going to look like an idiot by aquiring him now, AFTER the wost game 7 meltdown in hockey history (still laffing).

I doubt he will go for substantially more in the summer because teams already know how low Gillis was ready to go. Florida seems like a good fit and they do have a surplus of young talent so I guess there is some reason to be more optimistic. Like I said, 2nd and a good prospect and I'd be thrilled.