From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by Jovocop »

dbr wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Speaking of JBo, MG was trying to get him few seasons ago. Do you think MG is still interested? JBo's game might fit the Canucks' style better than the Flames. I know his contract is pretty much untouchable but since AV is not fully utilizing Ballard and Raymond is still on LTIR...
Jovocop wrote:Don't get me wrong, like I said, I would love to have Weber Bouwmeester. However, at what cost? What is the long term impact if Weber demands $7m Bouwmeester costs $6.6m per season? Can the Canucks resign Edler? Again, I would love to have Weber Bouwmeester. However, does he really worth more than Kesler, and the Sedins???
:P
Nice try but there is a big difference. JBo has an existing contract. Weber will cost the Canucks lots of assets to trade for + nobody knows the cost of re-signing him. Booth was in a similar situation. Did the trade for Booth upset Burrows?? Booth's contract is 2x Burrow's but Burrows outscored Booth in the last few seasons... MG could not do much about the existing contract, could he??
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Did the Malhotra or Samuelsson signings upset Burrows?

And personally I'd give up a boatload of assets to have Shea Weber at $7m rather than Bouwmeester (who would also require assets) for $400 000 less.

Anyway, that's for another thread I guess.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Jbo sucks and isn't worth half his contract though.

Weber is in the top 3 in the NHL.
If you need air...call it in
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Jbo sucks and isn't worth half his contract though.

Weber is in the top 3 in the NHL.
JBo sucks in Calgary because his style does not fit the Flames' system. I am not suggesting that he would be 10x better in the Canucks uniform. Weber is great and I am sure lots of GMs out there would want a guy like him for $7m. That is also the reason why the Canucks might not be able to afford his service. Someone mentioned earlier that Detroit might be able to offer a ridiculous trade offer to Nashville and sign Weber to a $7m+ per season contract extension with Lidstrom retiring next season. Weber might even want to stay in Nashville if their owner decides to spend over their internal cap. I am sure people here can remember that MG was actively trying to trade for JBo 3 seasons ago. I am just saying that JBo might be an option if Calgary decides to dump salaries and MG still wants him. Since Ballard is not being fully utilized by AV, trading him and add $2.4m might not be a bad idea.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Uncle dans leg wrote:So I was driving around this afternoon here(Calgary) listening to the fan960 as they discus whether to rebuild, retool or whatever.
I got quite a kick out of how highly they rated Bourque's trade value. They seem to think he could fetch a couple of top prospects. Unbelievable. They couldn't even get that for Phaneuf for christs sake.
Also was quite interested in how they perceive the solutions to the teams problems. I heard the guy saying they could retool and make another run. I just can't see it. They need to gut it down to the foundation and start completely over in my opinion.
I like Rhett Warrener on the morning show. Doesnt wear the flames colored glasses and speaks his mind. His NHL career gives him the insider knowledge that the hosts can't simply disregard when he disagrees with them. He has already stated, plain and simple, that this is basically the same team that couldnt get it done last year so what makes anyone think they will this year?
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Rayxor wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:So I was driving around this afternoon here(Calgary) listening to the fan960 as they discus whether to rebuild, retool or whatever.
I got quite a kick out of how highly they rated Bourque's trade value. They seem to think he could fetch a couple of top prospects. Unbelievable. They couldn't even get that for Phaneuf for christs sake.
Also was quite interested in how they perceive the solutions to the teams problems. I heard the guy saying they could retool and make another run. I just can't see it. They need to gut it down to the foundation and start completely over in my opinion.
I like Rhett Warrener on the morning show. Doesnt wear the flames colored glasses and speaks his mind. His NHL career gives him the insider knowledge that the hosts can't simply disregard when he disagrees with them. He has already stated, plain and simple, that this is basically the same team that couldnt get it done last year so what makes anyone think they will this year?
I agree that this is basically the same team as last year, and they sucked then, so why would it be different now. The problem is, with all the NMCs etc., Feaster can't do much until the end of this season (or at least until near the trade deadline). I have no problem with him staying pat right now. My biggest fear is that he will try and add pieces to the current lineup to make them more competitive right now. I don't want to see anymore trading of draft picks or prospects. If he can get rid of some deadwood - fine - even if he doesn't get much back for them. The team sucks, and they will just have to ride it out until the trade deadline and the end of the season.

BTW - even as a Flames fan, I find watching them to be frustrating and unbearable. They work hard enough, but that's about it. It might be partially coaching, but as many of you so eagerly point out, the team lacks talent - plain and simple.

As for Bourque - I don't think he's that good. I'm not sure why some fans think that he's worth a first round draft pick. I'm sure there will be interest in Bourque from other GMs, but I can't see them getting much back for him.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

B'Mo out again on LTIR with another knee injury. Yikes!
The only HW the Canucks need
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Hockey Widow wrote:B'Mo out again on LTIR with another knee injury. Yikes!
Also, Hagman clears waivers and is assigned to Abbotsford. Backlund is back and Feaster called up Brodie and Byron - so, that's a step in the right direction - giving some of the prospects a chance to see what they can do.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

So it is now
Dion Phaneuf, Fredrik Sjöström, Brett Sutter and Keith Aulie

For
Matt Stajan, Tom Kostopoulos and Anton Babchuk
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Topper wrote:So it is now

For
Thankfully the Ownership group canned Dutter before he could do anymore damage. :scowl:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

BCExpat wrote:

For
Thankfully the Ownership group canned Dutter before he could do anymore damage. :scowl:
Thankfully they kept him around long enough to ensure many more years of suckage!

At least you still have Butter, he of the 40-point IQ. Mean-mugging your team all the way to the golf course. By the way, have I mentioned today that CALGARY SUCKS!!??

CALG-ARY SUCKS!!!

CALG-ARY SU--

*slides off wobbly barstool and knocks self unconscious*
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

For
Matt Stajan isn't in the lineup either tonight.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

BCExpat wrote:

For
Matt Stajan isn't in the lineup either tonight.
Good deal.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

The Ducks claim Hagman off re-entry waivers. So, the purge is continuing slowly but surely. Now if only Feaster can get rid of Stajan.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

BCExpat wrote:The Ducks claim Hagman off re-entry waivers. So, the purge is continuing slowly but surely. Now if only Feaster can get rid of Stajan.
Yes but the Flames take a hit with half his salary for the rest of the season. Oh well, a small price to pay to get rid of that dead weight.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde