From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by BCExpat »

Enough about Calpuck - How about those Coyotes :D
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

BCExpat wrote:Enough about Calpuck - How about those Coyotes :D
Wrong thread...that's In the from bountiful to peoria thread.....lol
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Farhan Lalji

Re: Flame fans' problem with Canuck fans (most)

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Reefer2 wrote:[

You can thanks, Facebook, Twitter 24/7 sports stations and other modern media services. With all the ways to gather and report on stuff even people from Calgary can figure it out. The hate gets calls in and that is what sells their advertisment.
I mean - I can understand "healthy sports rivalries".........and trust me, if I actually got a sense that this was nothing more than a "healthy sports rivalry", then I think donlever's advice towards me would be the best advice.

Unfortunately - I just get a sense that Calgary's disdain towards Vancouverites extend beyond a simple sports rivalry.

Me harping on about it won't make a difference obviously, but it just never ceases to amaze me. Seeing this much disdain in another Canadian city towards us.....fellow Canadians and country-men...........is just sad. It is what it is I guess, but it also helps explain the brainwashed and unhealthy mindsets at Calgarypuck.com a LOT.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Farhan , you would be bitter if you lived in Merritt in the Coldwater Hotel drinking mouthwash. Once a year your town got a country music festival , there were a couple leech infested lakes in the vicinity, and entertainment was cow tipping and finding a woman with more than 7 teeth in her yap.

I on the other hand lived on the water in West Kelowna had a 24 foot Mastercraft on my private dock, had access to a dozen good golf courses, wineries and all the fresh fruit I could eat. The beaches were littered with young hotties, the weather was awesome, more restaurants, bars, skiing , shopping and activities than the cesspool you call home.

Bountiful is good for a laugh even if D'Arcy and friends don't let anyone argue with the tards.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpost.p ... stcount=77

Cervenka ..... the new saviour. People were "congratulating" him . :lol: :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Cervenka ..... the new saviour. People were "congratulating" him . :lol: :lol:
The best player not in the NHL going to the best team not in the playoffs. Maybe they can trade for Brunnstrom too.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Sure will be fun to see Winnipeg see the team they SHOULD have had win the Cup and then watch the banner go up in Quebec or Seattle next October.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: and entertainment was cow tipping
That actually sounds pretty fun bro. :lol: I could see myself getting into that. :)

In all seriousness though, I hear what you're saying. I understand what you and Lever are saying but it still amazes me that these guys resent us so much.

It's not like Calgary has nothing going for them. Compared to Vancouver, they have higher wages and lower living expenses and so that has to count for something.

It's just disturbing as to how much 960 "The Fan" is brainwashing Albertans' to hate Vancouver. The Flames haven't been rivals of Vancouver since 2009, due to the decline of the team, but their media still harbors that intensity.

Given how much Calgarypuck.com does not tolerate any "pro Vancouver" comments whatsoever, I'm wondering if they have a similar agenda as well? (i.e. create an environment that cultivates hatred for Vancouver). Oddly enough, 960 does mention Calgarypuck.com on random occassion.

Having said that - I actually think the PLAYERS on the Flames are pretty cool. I'm not even ashamed to admit, but I like Jarome Iginla and Mikka Kiprasoff a lot.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Cervenka ..... the new saviour. People were "congratulating" him . :lol: :lol:
Meh.

I have no idea how Cervenka will pan out, but their reaction is understandable.

A team that has missed the playoffs for 3 straight years and are in desperate times, will leach onto anything.

I wonder how Dump (Killer Carlson) and Reggie Dunlop will react. Maybe they will react in a similar manner to what they did 12 years ago. (i.e. go around rivals.com talking about how calpuck.com and oilfans.com got together in Eckville for a game of shinny!).
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

I don't know why anyone would get upset because someone hated their city. So what, who cares what others think. If you like where you live - great - that's all that counts. There is always going to be someone who hates where you live, and maybe even the people that live in your community, but that shouldn't matter to you, if you like where you are.

For the record - as far cities go, I hate all of them - Vancouver, Calgary or wherever. I hate traffic, congestion, crowds, line ups, etc. Hey, but that's just me. Other people hate the rural or small town life - to them, they think there is nothing to do, boring, etc. Each to their own.

As far as radio stations spewing out hate - they all do it. You should have heard the Edmonton stations when Calgary won their cup in 1989 - I couldn't believe the comments coming from their broadcasters. It happens all the time. I just ignore it.
Last edited by BCExpat on Sat May 05, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

dhabums wrote:
Sure will be fun to see Winnipeg see the team they SHOULD have had win the Cup and then watch the banner go up in Quebec or Seattle next October.
BTW - it's looking like the Coyotes may be staying in Phoenix afterall (I sure hope they do - I'm going to get a 10 pack of seasons tickets next year). Looks like they may have a buyer.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Farhan Lalji wrote: I mean - I can understand "healthy sports rivalries".........and trust me, if I actually got a sense that this was nothing more than a "healthy sports rivalry", then I think donlever's advice towards me would be the best advice.

Unfortunately - I just get a sense that Calgary's disdain towards Vancouverites extend beyond a simple sports rivalry.

Me harping on about it won't make a difference obviously, but it just never ceases to amaze me. Seeing this much disdain in another Canadian city towards us.....fellow Canadians and country-men...........is just sad. It is what it is I guess, but it also helps explain the brainwashed and unhealthy mindsets at Calgarypuck.com a LOT.
It is well-documented that inbreeding leads to anger issues.

So don't blame them, blame their parents/ancestors.

Now when a poor inbred sob projects innate anger...

said sob tends to target a group as different from themselves as possible.

That being the case, arencha glad calgarians target Vancouverites/Canucks/Canuck-fans?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

BCExpat wrote:I don't know why anyone would get upset because someone hated their city.
Not really upset, more than I am quite surprised.

Having spent considerable amounts of time in Portland Oregon, I know how much they used to 'rib' the Seattle Seahawks, the Supersonics, and even the Vancouver Grizzlies, but I never got a sense of any 'hatred'. Healthy Sports rivalry - definitely.

Even in Vancouver - I know it's obvious that we don't like Alberta based sports teams, but I've never seen CKNW 980 or Team 1040 spend upwards of 35% of their time completely bashing Alberta, it's cities, it's culture, on top of their sporting teams. Even when our teams have been down while their teams have been on top (i.e. late 80's, mid 00's when Flames/Oilers went to the cup), the impression I got from our radio stations was that our relatively mild dislike of them was part of a healthy sports rivalry.

Even back in 2004 - when the Flames played Tampa Bay and lost, I can't recall sports bar after sports bar being lined up with fans wearing Tampa Bay jersey's hoping that Calgary would lose........which is pretty much what happened in Calgary from what I understand when Boston played Vancouver last year. :?

During the whole Todd Bertuzzi scandal, this city kept going on and on and on about it even after the 06/07 season when every other team had forgotten about it. (and which ironically enough, the Flames only stopped shitting on Bertuzzi once he signed with the Flames).

To me - this type of behavior raises a lot of question marks. Edmonton and Toronto also can't stand us (as the feeling is quite mutual from Vancouver), but I do not get a sense of any hatred there at all. Yankees and Red Sox hate each others guts, but there's a mutual respect there WAY WAY deep down.

Anyway - to each their own I guess. Just think their behavior is disturbing, and most certainly exceeds what I think is a healthy sports rivalry between cities of the same country.

Cheers.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Strangelove wrote:.

That being the case, arencha glad calgarians target Vancouverites/Canucks/Canuck-fans?
LOL.

To answer your question though, not really. Vancouverites and Calgarians are both Canadian, and at the very least, their should be some kind of underlying respect even if there is an intense sports rivalry on the surface of that.

The Yankees/Red Sox example is the best example that I can think of. These teams and fans HATE each other.......but there's a respect there. There is a distinction between their sports rivalry, and their non-athletic related relations.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Farhan Lalji wrote: To answer your question though, not really. Vancouverites and Calgarians are both Canadian, and at the very least, their should be some kind of underlying respect even if there is an intense sports rivalry on the surface of that.
This has nothing to do with any "sports rivalry".

I don't think of calgarians as "Canadians".

(or humans for that matter).

It would be wrong to "respect" calgarians. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: It is well-documented that inbreeding leads to anger issues.

So don't blame them, blame their parents/ancestors.

Now when a poor inbred sob projects innate anger...

said sob tends to target a group as different from themselves as possible.

Additionally for inbreeding,
This generally leads to a decreased fitness of a population, which is called inbreeding depression.
Plus:
  • Reduced fertility both in size and sperm viability
    Increased genetic disorders
    Fluctuating facial asymmetry
    Lower birth rate
    Higher infant mortality
    Slower growth rate
    Smaller adult size
    Loss of immune system function
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.