From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by Hockey Widow »

Vpete wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Kipper will get the Sundin treatment now from the Calgary faithful. What I found most surprising was when some of the commentators said they expected he might actually retire after this season since he will only earn 1.5 next year if he plays. Although I think he comes back if for no other reason than to have a shot at what will be his last Olympics, should he make the team.

I supported Sundin in his stance and I support Kipper in his. Tough sell but the reality of business.

Just glad Luongo hasn't taken that stance.
Sundin had that right due to contract NTC- Kipper does not. All that talk about class in Calgary really has no meaning when St. Mikka doesn't get his way.

Of course he has the right to refuse to report and retire any damn day he pleases. Just like a team has the right to sit a player in the press box and not dress them or ask them to sit at home all season so as not to get hurt so they can be bought out. Or a team decides for medical reasons a player should not be on the ice even if the player disagrees. A team is under no obligation to play a player it has under contract yet when a player says I won't report, for family reasons I want to stay, suddenly he is in breach of his contract. Nonsense.

It's a business. Kipper cannot veto a trade. He knows that. But he has the right to stop playing hockey any day of the week. To imply otherwise is foolish. Some may not like it, but it is an option open to any player to simply say I won't play. He isn't the first player to do this and won't be the last. He could have waited until he was traded. And then decided that hey I think I will retire now. Is he in breach then? No, he simply decided to retire. But he had the balls to tell the Flames up front, I won't report, I will retire. Flames fans don't care if he retires. They would have been thrilled had he been traded for some decent return and then refused to report and retire. They then would have defended his right to do so and laughed at the team that got stuck with him, saying its all business. They would have called him loyal, and a true Flame. They are simply pissed because he did it first and unless a perspective team can persuade him to move he won't be traded.

He isn't asking for the right to pick and choose a destination. He is simply saying, I'm done. I will finish out my contract in Calgary and then I'm done.If Calgary wishes to trade him then he is done sooner. If he is using this to manipulate where he goes then I cry foul. If he says I won't report unless I like the team you want me to go to then, ya, he is being a manipulative prick. But thats not what I get from this. I get he is done and wants to be done in Calgary.
The only HW the Canucks need
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

It looks like Iggy has been asked to sit out tonights game against the Avs. Looks like the long awaited trade is finally about to go down.

As for Kipper - I don't mind if they don't trade him. Hell, we have nobody after him, that can carry the work load.

What is very frustrating to me, is that the Flames Ownership and management look like the keystone cops. They don't seem to have any idea of how to run the hockey club. Since Harley and Doc passed away, the rest of the ownership seems to be a complete cluster fuck.

Anyway, I'm hoping for the best with the Iggy trade, but I'm not expecting to hit a home run. I just hope they don't completely shit the bed on this.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

TSN says it's Iginla to Boston for Alexander Khokhlachev (who TSN believes is Boston's best non-goalie prospect), Matt Bartkowski and a 1st round draft pick.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Island Nucklehead wrote:TSN says it's Iginla to Boston for Alexander Khokhlachev (who TSN believes is Boston's best non-goalie prospect), Matt Bartkowski and a 1st round draft pick.
That isn't a home run, but if it's true, then it's probably fair compensation. Khokhlachev is projected to be a 2nd line centre at best, and isn't a huge player at 5'-10". Bartkowski is probably a 3rd pairing D man. The first round draft pick will end up being late. So, overall, not great, but fair. Flames fans aren't going to like this.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

That's a bunt single or maybe a chink hit to right field with 2 out and nobody on. They should have dealt Iginla and Kipper in 2011. I realize they both had NTC but that was the time to deal them. They could have returned quite a substantial bounty back then.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The dreaded Bartkowski-Backlund-Baertschi.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Topper wrote:The dreaded Bartkowski-Backlund-Baertschi.
Good thing Barkowski is a D man.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

BCExpat wrote:
Topper wrote:The dreaded Bartkowski-Backlund-Baertschi.
Good thing Barkowski is a D man.
I s he related to Chuck at BuyMore?
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

So finally the Flames fans can hate the Booins along with us....fuckin Iginla! (hoping for the highest pick possible)

Edit-Oh wait...if they win, it fucks the Flames.....Go Bruins? :shock:
If you need air...call it in
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Don't like the return for the Flames at all. Khokolachev is an average, small center, Bartkowki is barely NHL caliber at age 24 and the 1st is a low pick. No idea why they make the trade now instead of waiting a few days and seeing if they got a better offer. Makes no sense, except Feaster is simply bad at his job.

The timing is very odd, but the Flames are going to be even worse net year. At least they are in our division still.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Flames fans learning the value of their betrothed.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Diehard1 wrote:Don't like the return for the Flames at all. Khokolachev is an average, small center, Bartkowki is barely NHL caliber at age 24 and the 1st is a low pick. No idea why they make the trade now instead of waiting a few days and seeing if they got a better offer. Makes no sense, except Feaster is simply bad at his job.

The timing is very odd, but the Flames are going to be even worse net year. At least they are in our division still.
To make things even worse, the 1st round pick is conditional on Iggy resigning with the Bruins. With this ownership group, they will never be competitive. Good thing I have distanced myself emotionally from this cluster fuck.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BCExpat wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:Don't like the return for the Flames at all. Khokolachev is an average, small center, Bartkowki is barely NHL caliber at age 24 and the 1st is a low pick. No idea why they make the trade now instead of waiting a few days and seeing if they got a better offer. Makes no sense, except Feaster is simply bad at his job.

To make things even worse, the 1st round pick is conditional on Iggy resigning with the Bruins. With this ownership group, they will never be competitive. Good thing I have distanced myself emotionally from this cluster fuck.
Strathmore is pretty far but there's always room on our wagon :sly:
If you need air...call it in
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

[/quote]Strathmore is pretty far but there's always room on our wagon :sly:[/quote]

Nah, it's not going to happen - but thanks anyway :lol:

Wow - TSN screwed that one up. Iggy goes to Pittsburgh - not Boston. And the first rounder is not conditional. I don't know much about the other two players involved, but I'm happier that Iggy is going to the Pens. I guess I'll be cheering for the Pens in the playoffs.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Calgary got screwed.

Pittsburgh is near the top of the standings, if they win it all the first rounder gets them the 30th overall pick. Nothing special there.

The prospects aren't anything special either. Both developing in the NCAA, the younger guy (20) is just over a point-per-game in college, and the older one (22) is less than a point-per-game.

Generally speaking I find that players that put up point-per-game numbers in junior or college end up being 60 point guys in the NHL.....at best.

I know Iginla's value had dropped significantly, but I didn't think he was only worth a 27th-30th overall pick and a couple of prospects who MIGHT one day contribute on a 2nd line.