From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by Topper »

dbr wrote:Can Calgary even attract top tier free agents?

They got Bouwmeester (who they've now dealt to free up room for some other UFA) but otherwise I can't think of too many high profile signings over the last decade.

The space they've got now might give them ample room to sign a handful of top nine forwards and top four defensemen which will help, but otherwise I don't see their cap space providing them much of an advantage.
I'm not suggesting they be last years Wild, but this offseason, with several teams needing to clear cap space, they can be buyers, and the few buyers out there, can be very picky and drive hard bargains.

JBou's $7mil, and possibly Kipper's $5+mil hits are huge for them.

They can sign enough 2-3 liners to be competitive........but then maybe they'll give up one of those 1st round picks for Bryz....
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

True. Like you said, questions about their management abound despite a painfully-won advantage over other teams... much like their northern cousins.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Topper wrote:
dbr wrote:Can Calgary even attract top tier free agents?

They got Bouwmeester (who they've now dealt to free up room for some other UFA) but otherwise I can't think of too many high profile signings over the last decade.

The space they've got now might give them ample room to sign a handful of top nine forwards and top four defensemen which will help, but otherwise I don't see their cap space providing them much of an advantage.
I'm not suggesting they be last years Wild, but this offseason, with several teams needing to clear cap space, they can be buyers, and the few buyers out there, can be very picky and drive hard bargains.

JBou's $7mil, and possibly Kipper's $5+mil hits are huge for them.

They can sign enough 2-3 liners to be competitive........but then maybe they'll give up one of those 1st round picks for Bryz....
They have cleared a ton of cap space, but I really hope they aren't going hard after free agents. I think they need to do what the Oilers did - just stand pat and pile up draft picks - at least for the next couple of years.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

BCExpat wrote:
They have cleared a ton of cap space, but I really hope they aren't going hard after free agents. I think they need to do what the Oilers did - just stand pat and pile up draft picks - at least for the next couple of years.
And then fill in the spots with UFA or trade a good youngster for a some solid vets.

Edmonton could be a lot better if they took 1 star now and trade him for some role players (not slugs).
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Feaster says he's been told by Edwards, playoffs are a must next year.

In which case, the Flames mop up one of the goaltenders on the off season market not named Luongo.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:Feaster says he's been told by Edwards, playoffs are a must next year.

In which case, the Flames mop up one of the goaltenders on the off season market not named Luongo.

Maybe they trade for Bryz. I mean Luongo has a NTC, Miller has a NTC, Bernier is a possibility. Who else that is good enough to replace Kipper is available. Smith is UFA, maybe him?

They can offer to take Bryz for a 2nd, 3rd and half his salary. :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Calgary is going to have close to $20M of free space to work with if Kiprusoff retires and his salary no longer counts against the team cap (I'm not sure on this with the front loaded, back diving contracts in the new CBA).

They have loaded up on draft picks.

With the number of potential buyouts coming this summer, and the number of UFA's about to be looking to test the market due to cap constraints, you have to think Calgary is primed to make a big splash in the off-season. The best part about this for them is that some of these UFA's that might not want to go to Calgary, might take a short-term deal and hope that they can end up playing elsewhere in a couple years once the cap goes back up and all this new CBA stuff settles down. Calgary then gets the option to grab a couple of marquis UFA players, draft some really good prospects, hopefully have the chops to make the playoffs next season, and then the following year bring some of those prospects in (if they are ready) and develop them alongside some of these good vets that they grab from free agency.

This is all a maybe of course.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:Calgary is going to have close to $20M of free space to work with if Kiprusoff retires and his salary no longer counts against the team cap (I'm not sure on this with the front loaded, back diving contracts in the new CBA).

They have loaded up on draft picks.

With the number of potential buyouts coming this summer, and the number of UFA's about to be looking to test the market due to cap constraints, you have to think Calgary is primed to make a big splash in the off-season. The best part about this for them is that some of these UFA's that might not want to go to Calgary, might take a short-term deal and hope that they can end up playing elsewhere in a couple years once the cap goes back up and all this new CBA stuff settles down. Calgary then gets the option to grab a couple of marquis UFA players, draft some really good prospects, hopefully have the chops to make the playoffs next season, and then the following year bring some of those prospects in (if they are ready) and develop them alongside some of these good vets that they grab from free agency.

This is all a maybe of course.
Sounds an awful lot like what Tallon id with the Panthers. Worked wonders year one and then this year came calling.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Topper wrote:Feaster says he's been told by Edwards, playoffs are a must next year.

They finally decide to rebuild, and ownership expects to make the playoffs next season?
20 Mill. in cap space and a expected abundance of UFA's will definitely speed the process, but it still seems a little unrealistic to go from gutted bottom-feeder to making the play-offs in 1 year.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

The problem with many of those UFA's coming up in July is that they will be high paid, low producing, underachievers.
Chances are that feaster isn't brainy enough to be able to spot the miscast diamond amongst all the rubbish.

Well at least I hope he isn't smart enough...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ukcanuck wrote:The problem with many of those UFA's coming up in July is that they will be high paid, low producing, underachievers.
Chances are that feaster isn't brainy enough to be able to spot the miscast diamond amongst all the rubbish.

One can assume that there will be a number of players bought out that may come cheap so he can make up for quality by getting quantity. :mrgreen:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ukcanuck wrote:The problem with many of those UFA's coming up in July is that they will be high paid, low producing, underachievers.

Well try telling your fans you have embarked on a 5 year rebuilding odyssey with no plan or guarantee of successes...didn't happen in HogTown ain't gonna happen in CowTown

Calagary = Tarrana West
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Arachnid wrote:

Well try telling your fans you have embarked on a 5 year rebuilding odyssey with no plan or guarantee of successes...didn't happen in HogTown ain't gonna happen in CowTown

Calagary = Tarrana West
I always said they shoulda made the trans Canada east bound only ....
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

ukcanuck wrote:
Arachnid wrote:

Calagary = Tarrana West
Growing up in Burnaby, we used to say it's all Surrey once you cross the bridge til u hit Europe
If you need air...call it in
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ukcanuck wrote:
Arachnid wrote:

Calagary = Tarrana West
The way the Make Beliefs and the Phlems trade and talk it's a little inbred & glee :eh:

All your b'Oil belong to us (through the pipeline).
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)