From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:27 am

Well, some people did get a bit upset with the Bolland comments and failed to see it was all tongue in cheek. I mean as soon as you read the Bolland comments, they were way over the top, you could tell he was pandering to the fans and poking fun. So it's not surprising that the kids on Cowpuke would explode with what Bieksa said. I wonder if they caught his comments before the game yesterday when he was asked what his favourite Christmas present was. His response, " I told people I was going to punch the first guy who asked me that in the nuts. So do you want it now or do you want it after?"

Now that was funny and a little jaw dropping.
The only HW the Canucks need

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:45 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Hell they just banned one of their own fans ;walleye got booted just for remarking that CP is mocked everywhere. Nice freedom of speech D'Arcy.
I have successfully avoided that site since the old CC imploded. All the garbage in that 20 page thread about Canucks Central was paid off by Blaster directing people here :thumbs:

Of course, actually reading what they said in that thread was mildly disturbing, basically saying "that's what you get for weak editorial control - personal attacks getting out of control. Thank God for D'Arcy keeping us all on the same page!"

In a sense they're right, if you want a massive board with thousands of posters and hundreds of posts a day, that is what you need. Of course, if you want to actually carry on an intelligent discussion about hockey, you need some different viewpoints. And as Canucks Corner is aptly demonstrating, its possible to carry on lively debate without personal attacks getting out of hand

Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:19 pm

Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.

okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:53 pm

Vpete wrote:It gets better http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=112863

imbeciles.
Wow what a bunch of imbeciles. I actually feel sorry for a poster like Eric Estrada on their board. My god he is so far out there , he must be a danger to himself.

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:34 pm

Shocking. The hockey boards of Bountiful full of complete idiots? Say it's not so.

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:01 pm

okcanuck wrote:
Vpete wrote:It gets better http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=112863

imbeciles.
Wow what a bunch of imbeciles. I actually feel sorry for a poster like Eric Estrada on their board. My god he is so far out there , he must be a danger to himself.

Quote of the day:
This is another one of those threads where you distinguish the Canuck haters who watched the SCF last season from the Canuck haters who jerked off to it

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:42 pm

okcanuck wrote:
In defense of Calgarypuck, most people were NOT impressed/happy with Estrada's comments. One guy ended up flaming Estrada and about 15-16 different posters ended up "liking" it.

I have nothing much to say about Calpuck these days. They are what they are: A fanbase that is frustrated by their team's lack of success, and now feels the need to attack Vancouver to feel better about themselves. They are not alone in this regard....as Edmonton and Toronto do the same thing. Outside of Boston, the media and many fans in those three cities were the happiest to see the Canucks lose in the finals last year.

Unfortunately - the media's in these 3 cities were the ones that perpetuated the myth that the Canucks were the most hated team in the league....and one of the most despised franchises in pro sports (as evidenced by all of those fans wearing Canuck jersey in many of our road games ;) ).

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:13 pm

[quote="Farhan Lalji"
I have nothing much to say about Calpuck these days. They are what they are: A fanbase that is frustrated by their team's lack of success, and now feels the need to attack Vancouver to feel better about themselves. They are not alone in this regard....as Edmonton and Toronto do the same thing. Outside of Boston, the media and many fans in those three cities were the happiest to see the Canucks lose in the finals last year.

Unfortunately - the media's in these 3 cities were the ones that perpetuated the myth that the Canucks were the most hated team in the league....and one of the most despised franchises in pro sports (as evidenced by all of those fans wearing Canuck jersey in many of our road games ;) ).[/quote]

I have an interesting story to share. Because that is what I do, share. Anyway...

A friend of mine had the pleasure of meeting Ken Holland the last time the Wings were in town. They were sitting around shooting the shit when they had an interesting conversation:

Friend: So Ken why are the Canucks the most hated team in the NHL?

KH: They're not. Whenever you go into cities with championship teams you hear all about how hated they are but they are envied more than anything else. They are what other teams aspire to become.

Friend: But all we hear about is how much the Canucks are hated and are whinny divers. What about that?

KH: Well to be honest you have three players that have helped Vancouver get that reputation, Kesler, Burrows and (only because I can never spell his name, my comments), Lappy. These three players get under the skin of other teams and trash talk and draw penalties and just plain are tough to play against. They are hated by most opposition players not because they are bad players but because they are doing the jobs they are paid to do and they would be welcome on most teams. I would take 2 of the 3 in a heartbeat, but I won't say which two. But two of those players would be welcomed on the Wings any day, any year. And I would venture a guess that the other 28 teams would make room for them too and they would be fan favourites no matter where they played. That is the nature of sport.

Friend: But Ken we all here how the Wings are admired and their management style applauded and should be emulated if you want to be successful. Why are the Canucks not so honoured?

KH: The Wings were pitied for years of futility. Then we built championships and we were hated. The most hated team in the NHL. We only became admired when we stopped dominating the league. I say that with respect and humility. (True quote) Before we became admired we were winning not only Divisions but Conferences and Stanley Cups. Once that happened no one liked us and there was not a lot of love in the press. Once we became one of several good contenders we then became admired and teams wanted to emulate us. But if we make the Finals again we will be hated again. Thats the way it goes. And i'll tell you what, I would rather be hated then admired. They can admire me when I retire. If I, or my team is hated it means we are champions again and that is what I would take. And another thing, Mike Gillis is doing his job. He is building something special here in Vancouver but until you win it all you won't be admired. You will be ridiculed and second guessed day in and day out. But once Vancouver wins the cup it will change, slowly, and people will look back at what was accomplished here with admiration but you have to go through the wars first. Enjoy being hated. It means you are noticed. Your players are known throughout the league. Opposing fans know who you are. It means you are contending and are a favourite to win year in and year out. Every other team, and their fans and the media would take that in a heartbeat. The alternative is to have a losing franchise and losing franchises are only loved for so long.

KH: Do you think we have what it takes to win?

KH: I thought you would win last year and I think you should have. You could have. I can't comment on the officiating but lets just say we went through that too. You build a team with speed and skill and then the playoffs start and suddenly you are not tough enough or you need a fighter or whatever. But we stayed the course, yes we had our role players, but they were not the reason we won the Cup. They helped us get there but it was our skill and talent that won us those cups. Yes, I think Vancouver has the players to win it all and if Mike was asking for my advice I'd tell him to stick to the course he has set. Don't panic. Stick the course. So many things happen in the playoffs that you cannot control and it does take some luck to reach the final goal. But the best way to get there is to stick to the plan you have set. You can be a one year wonder or you can be a yearly competitor. Being a yearly competitor is the best way to give yourself the chance to win the Cup, not just once, but to compete for it every season.

Friend: If you were the GM of Vancouver what changes or moves would you make?

KH: No comment.
The only HW the Canucks need

Hank
CC Legend

Post by Hank » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:53 pm

HW, seriously, you are the MVP on these here boards. Most Valuable Poster.

Love your shares :D

Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:17 am

Enjoy being hated. It means you are noticed. Your players are known throughout the league. Opposing fans know who you are. It means you are contending and are a favourite to win year in and year out. Every other team, and their fans and the media would take that in a heartbeat. The alternative is to have a losing franchise and losing franchises are only loved for so long.
I understand you are paraphrasing but I absolutely love that little quote right there. It pretty much sums it all up. Great post HW.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:09 am

Farhan Lalji wrote:

In defense of Calgarypuck, most people were NOT impressed/happy with Estrada's comments. One guy ended up flaming Estrada and about 15-16 different posters ended up "liking" it.

I disagree. Calpuck has no defence. I do feel sorry for the decent posters that are there but the owners of that board has let it become the shitshow that it is.

oilfans.com is not nearly as bad as that eyesore for perpetuating hate and idiocy Farhan, nor is the hfboards Leaves site .
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:57 pm

No problem, Calgary.

After tonight's loss to Nashville, Calgary has 41 points in 40 games - so according to Sports Club Stats, which shows that the Western Conference is currently trending to 93 points to make the playoffs, Calgary only needs to go 26-16-0 to make it.

Oh, and hope that 4 of Phoenix, San Jose, Colorado, Dallas, Nashville, and St. Louis falter, and that the trend doesn't return to 97 points for which they would have to go 28-14-0.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!

Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:27 pm

"The alternative is to have a losing franchise and losing franchises are only loved for so long."

I think Ken Holland has it wrong, at least in Canada. You just have to look at the attendance records for the Canadian hockey clubs to see that Canadian hockey fans will tolerate loosing hockey clubs for years and years. Toronto is probably the best example.

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:28 pm

J-Bo with a cool -5 tonight in a 5-3 loss.

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:10 am

I can report that sane flames fans do not understand the mancrush on joke..inen
Last edited by rats19 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getting old is not for the young...