The Power Forward

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: The Power Forward

Postby dbr » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:51 pm

Southern_Canuck wrote:??? Samuelsson played on the helicopter line all season until he was finally shut down in the playoffs:
Regular Season: GP 75 G 18 A 32 P 50
Playoffs: GP 11 G 1 A 2 P 3


Sorry, as the term "helicopter line" seemed to become vogue during the playoff run (apologies if you had been using it all season and I overlooked it) I referred just to those games.

Still I suppose Samuelsson did play 11 games, but only ~35% of his even strength ice time was on the Kesler line and even then his play is hard to take issue with, given that he was "finally shut down" after it was obvious he could not play through his injury any longer.

I don't think there's any doubt that a healthy Samuelsson (the guy who had seven goals and eleven points in a six game series one year earlier) could have been a difference-maker for us this year.

Raymond, on the other hand:
Regular Season: GP 70 G 15 A 24 P 39
Playoffs: GP 24 G 2 A 6 P 8

With the Sedins filling 33% of the top 6, the Canucks can't afford these perimiter players in the top 6 -


But even with Raymond's atrocious production and a player capable of changing the balance of a series sitting on the sidelines, we came tantalizingly close to winning the Cup.

What I'm saying is that it's conceivable we could have won the cup this year - we had so many contributors playing hurt or not playing at all, I don't think it's reasonable to say "we can't win the Cup" with a lineup that very nearly did.

But again, I'm not saying I'll be complaining if Gillis finds a way to make an improvement.

you say that the Canucks made it to the Satnley Cup finals with at least one of them, but swap Raymond for a Morrow, Kane, Doan, or Malone, and it's more likely they win it.

S_C


Oh, of course. No disagreement there at all.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2478
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: The Power Forward

Postby Fred » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:47 am

Interesting take on theeffect of the SCby THN

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/4 ... y_20110820


I think most can see the trend of a more physical league this year was coming
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: The Power Forward

Postby coco_canuck » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:15 am

Uninteresting people typically read uninteresting articles.

Although the premise that the next season might be nastier has some merit, that's a poor article that only cites a handful of players with some faulty information.

First of all, Wade Belak retired months ago, Kyle Wellwood is a borderline player who also spent last summer sitting by the phone before signing a PTO with Phoenix, and Janssen along with Stortini signed 2-way deals with their respective teams, which likely means they'll have a hard time making the team and are considered depth pieces.

Campoli didn't hit the market until a few weeks ago, long after the free agent rush happened. There would have been a more robust market for Campoli had hit UFA on July 1st. Regardless, Campoli will still end up getting a 1-year deal and a starting role before training camp.

The writer suggests Janssen and Stortini, who signed 2-way deals, are considered more valuable than a fairly solid top 5-6 D-man who will be an everyday player.

That's a pretty ridiculous suggestion.
User avatar
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Re: The Power Forward

Postby Fred » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:48 am

Yeah it's a shame these people at THN don't have your in sight into the game...the world would be a better place if every thought as you do. Open up your mind and let some light in. :roll: I have to say you look nice in your photo :D are you really a Mormon ?, interesting folks, do you know Warren Jeffs :D now there's a man with tunnell vision :)
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: The Power Forward

Postby coco_canuck » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:03 am

Fred wrote:Yeah it's a shame these people at THN don't have your in sight into the game...the world would be a better place if every thought as you do.


I'll say this about them, at least they can put coherent sentences together unlike this doozy of a post by the Great Gazoo. No wonder you've cowered every time I've taken you to task, very Cooke like.

Fred wrote:I have to say you look nice in your photo :D are you really a Mormon ?, interesting folks, do you know Warren Jeffs :D now there's a man with tunnell vision :)


Ease off on the wrangler busters, I'm not a woman.

But seriously, it's rich hearing of tunnel vision from a one trick pony with short, stubby legs.
User avatar
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Re: The Power Forward

Postby Fred » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:01 pm

:D

;)
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: The Power Forward

Postby Benjo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:25 pm

I have to agree on the thoughts about THN. My mother in law but me a subscription for Christmas and after reading the first 1-2 issues I literally just perused through the other 10 months worth of issues in 5-10 minutes. 90% of the articles usually just mirror public opinion and have a feel of being rushed to meet a deadline. Not only that but by the time the magazine is out the articles could be based on something that could have happened nearly a month ago. There is 1/10th of the thought and passion that posters here and at the old CC put into their respective posts/blogs which is a shame because THN writers actually get to make a living watching, commenting on and living hockey.

Why not use some forethought? I just got my copy of the magazine the other day and it mostly focuses about the Finals...wow thanks I've already been inundated with finals talk for 2 months. Or how about X player was signed on July 1st?? This was all covered the day it happened. Why not show some foresight and use the clout you have and talk to Shanny in depth about the rule changes coming up. Write articles with themes other than concussions and Luongo's confidence issues, it has been done to death.

Just wish they would write articles like they gave a shit.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Re: The Power Forward

Postby Fred » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:05 pm

I have the THN daily e-mail and frankly I generally delete it without as much as a glance. But occassionally I take a look at maybe an article I know it for what it is. This is the summer doldrums so some times some thing is better than nothing
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: The Power Forward

Postby Canuck-One » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:35 pm

Thanks for the link Fred. I think the writer is correct in his assumption that there will be more rough and tumble in the game this season. Even MG has finally realized this fact when he signed Bitz, Fedoruk, Duco et al. While there are some who may lament this as slipping back into the dark ages there are still a lot of us who feel that your home team should be able to meet any type of challenge whether it be with fists or skill. Watching Daniel take repeated punches to the face by that little turd sickened me. The fact none of his team mates did anything about it disgusted me. There will always be those who would prefer if we turned the game into an ice dancing competition but hey that's what they like. Every game I've seen has people on their feet when the fight starts.
User avatar
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:49 am
Location: Moving to Blackfalds

Re: The Power Forward

Postby Fred » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:14 pm

Canuck-One wrote:Thanks for the link Fred. I think the writer is correct in his assumption that there will be more rough and tumble in the game this season. Even MG has finally realized this fact when he signed Bitz, Fedoruk, Duco et al. While there are some who may lament this as slipping back into the dark ages there are still a lot of us who feel that your home team should be able to meet any type of challenge whether it be with fists or skill. Watching Daniel take repeated punches to the face by that little turd sickened me. The fact none of his team mates did anything about it disgusted me. There will always be those who would prefer if we turned the game into an ice dancing competition but hey that's what they like. Every game I've seen has people on their feet when the fight starts.

To me a coach should have the ammunition to be able to match what ever the other team throws over th boards, we couldn't in part failed because of it. I'm sure the Sedins arn't exactly thrilled either at the amount of punishiment they're taking
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: The Power Forward

Postby ESQ » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:02 pm

Fred wrote:Interesting take on theeffect of the SCby THN

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/4 ... y_20110820


I think most can see the trend of a more physical league this year was coming


Ughhhhhhh so sick of hearing that diving was the biggest problem in the Finals, when the article is about the success of the Bruins in playing like goons including "pasting Mason Raymond into the boards after folding him up like a lawn chair". How can he say "diving is the biggest thing" when a player broke his back on a dirty hit? [/uncontrollable rage]
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: The Power Forward

Postby coco_canuck » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:12 pm

Canuck-One wrote: There will always be those who would prefer if we turned the game into an ice dancing competition but hey that's what they like.


Tell me who exactly wants to turn this game into an "ice-dancing competition."

It's a straw man argument.

There's a big difference between arguing for having tough players who fight and can be effective players and loading up on borderline tough-guys and enforcers.

It's about having effective players who can fill a role, not some tough guy who is a liability and won't be used when the stakes are the highest.
User avatar
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Re: The Power Forward

Postby ESQ » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:46 pm

coco_canuck wrote:
There's a big difference between arguing for having tough players who fight and can be effective players and loading up on borderline tough-guys and enforcers.


Tambellinisayswhat?
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: The Power Forward

Postby Fred » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:09 pm

Seems to me it's strange that so much hot air is expounded on 4th line players who on a team such as Vancouver will take maybe 5 mins of ice a game. Scoring wise 4th lines rarely have any impact on a games outcome, and that will be the case this coming season. Lapierre and two cheap wingers. What impact did Glass and Oreskovitch have
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: The Power Forward

Postby Canuck-One » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:00 pm

coco_canuck wrote:
Canuck-One wrote: There will always be those who would prefer if we turned the game into an ice dancing competition but hey that's what they like.


Tell me who exactly wants to turn this game into an "ice-dancing competition."

It's a straw man argument.

There's a big difference between arguing for having tough players who fight and can be effective players and loading up on borderline tough-guys and enforcers.

It's about having effective players who can fill a role, not some tough guy who is a liability and won't be used when the stakes are the highest.


Geesh Coco, I didn't think you were so sensitive, as you certainly can dish it out to Fred. Anyway when I say there are those wanting an ice dance competition it is posters like you that I am referring to. You have continually made it clear that you don't like a tough guy on the team unless he is also skilled enough to take a regular shift. Bravo, bravo, if you know of one who is available please call MG as he is looking all over the hockey world for just such a guy. If however reality finally bites and you can see that ain't happening then it's time to lower your sights a little and get as tough a S.O.B. who can skate to take care of the stars on this team. In my long life I have enjoyed playing lots of different sports and I can tell you that you never, NEVER allow a team mate, especially a star, to be bullied like Daniel was. You also don't sit back and watch while another one has his back broken. Those are the real reasons that Glass is gone. Those are the real reasons that MG is now bringing in heavyweights for the tryout and it seems that you aren't happy. Well too bad. I'm sure glad you were never one of my team mates. Hockey is a game of speed, skill, violence and intimidation. You can't intimidate if your toughest players won't fight. Have you ever watched ice dancing? You might just like it.
User avatar
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:49 am
Location: Moving to Blackfalds

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests