Cap Floor & Mr Ballard

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Cap Floor & Mr Ballard

Post by Fred »

Here are the clubs currently below the Cap Floor, can you see any one we would take off their hands or settle for a pick (like Oilers did with Cogliano ) to move Ballard. It would sure allow the Canucks more flexability for future and besides seems like AV preferrs Rome or Alberts any way

http://www.capgeek.com/charts_floor.php
cheers
Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Cap Floor & Mr Ballard

Post by Jovocop »

Trading Ballard might not be an option now unless there is a NHL-calibre defenseman coming this way. With Ehrhoff gone, Ballard should have a legit chance of being a top 4-5. Besides, MG could always trade Ballard next season when he signs another UFA or RFA defenseman (preferrably from Nashville). :D
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

I was a proponent of trading Bieksa before the beginning of last year. I was wrong.

So like Bieksa's supporters last year, I THINK I'd like to see what a healthy Ballard can do in a second pairing role before I'd even consider trading him.

Assuming, of course, he gets a chance in that role :whistle:
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Balalrd is only real comfortable on the left side. Unless he or Edler get used to playing the other side they may as well deal him if they can.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Unless we acquire another T4D, I think there is zero chance Ballard gets traded now that Ehrhoff is gone. We have the cap room and need the depth.
West Coast Jets Fan
CC Veteran

Post by West Coast Jets Fan »

We also have Ryan Parent who will get his chance this year, great junior career, just hasn't been able to make a consistent leap to the bigs....although Philly did give him a decent shot.

Downside: another lefty and offensively challenged.
Upside: Way less $$ than Ballard, good size and not a defensive liability....and only 24
1972-1996

3 Avco Cups
spooner
CC Veteran

Post by spooner »

The only way I'd trade him is for another top 4 D and can't see him having that much value on the market right now. The best option in my opinion is to keep him and play him. Hopefully it's been clearly communicated to him what it is he needed to improve on in order to regain the trust of the coaching staff. The potential is there and now the opportunity seems to be there as well.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

West Coast Jets Fan wrote:We also have Ryan Parent who will get his chance this year, great junior career, just hasn't been able to make a consistent leap to the bigs....although Philly did give him a decent shot.

Downside: another lefty and offensively challenged.
Upside: Way less $$ than Ballard, good size and not a defensive liability....and only 24
I am not quite sure about that. Parent has been a minus player almost his entire career... Also, Tanev might be ahead of him anyway...
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Balalrd is only real comfortable on the left side. Unless he or Edler get used to playing the other side they may as well deal him if they can.
We have:

BXA/Hamhuis
Salo/Edler
Tanev/Ballard

Rome/Alberts

Now once Salo gets injured we could be hooped. Hell maybe even Tanev plays up with Edler. I'd definitely be a proponent of splitting up the ice time a little more evenly throughout the regular season.

Hammer coming off surgery may not be 100% in camp and hopefully Edlers hand is alright.

Heath has to be our main concern this year, once we get past the hangover and injury recovery early in the season. We need to be as healthy as possible heading into the playoffs.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

The only way I'd advocate trading Ballard would be if a guy like Scott Hannan was signed. He's less offensive but more defensive than Ballard is - Tanev or whoever Ballard's partner is would then have to be more offensive.

As is, defensive depth of (not necessarily the pairings):

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Salo
Ballard-Tanev
Alberts-Rome

is solid - but take away a vet like Ballard and it starts to get a bit thin.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Sorry, why do we need to go into the season with $8m of cap space?

"Cap flexibility" isn't going to score goals (in fairness, neither is Ballard) or throw open ice hits.. so why not hold onto the assets we've got until we need to move them?

And anyway, why would some Mickey Mouse organization trade assets for a player to put them over the floor when they could just sign any number of the UFAs out there who will take their money for free? (Nevermind the fact that most of these teams have either RFAs or rookies with monster bonus clauses who will help them reach the floor without any trades.)

I just don't see the benefit of something like this.. from either side.
NorCalNucks
CC Rookie

Post by NorCalNucks »

I don't know why people are so adamant about trading Ballard for whatever reason. I think GMMG made what he felt was the right trade last season since he was looking to upgrade the D. It's great to have 5 NHL top 4 Ds on your team but somehow we knew it's not going to work and someone's gotta go (CAP reason). At the beginning of the season it was KB4 and later we found CAP/injury magic and we were able to keep all our Ds. Though it sounds ideal on paper to have so many Ds the reality is that production for one of the supposed top 4 Ds will drop to be a 5/6 pairing and in the case it was Ballard (for whatever reason, this is a not a debate for that). Some cried foul for the trade but now if we look back it seems like a blessing in disguise.

With UFA and RFA signing crazy contract (see Ehrhoff) getting a top 4 Ds this off season would have been crazy for anyone needing a Dman. Had we not have Ballard in store already GMMG will have to pay an arm and a leg for someone like Ballard. Whether you like him or not, most will probably describe him as a solid top 4 who had two injury plague seasons. He will be a gamble for most teams, much like your Vancouver Canucks, but surely he wouldn't come cheap seeing how the market is right now. I am sure there are some teams who is trying to reach cap floor offering a trade with GMMG for Ballard but why would GMMG trade away a top 4 Ds for prospects/picks/etc since those organizations probably want to hold on to their stars (mostly likely higher pay players). Moreover, with the Canucks now have a limited window to win the cup, why mess with the chemistry? Ballard knows what is expected of him and he had a year observing and learning about the Canucks culture. I think though he might not be as good/solid/reliable as Ehrhoff, he will fit in nicely with the Canucks who will still reign supreme on Ds in the league. No stud but with 5 above avg Ds.

Here is for a break out season for Ballard :cheers:
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Well seems to me there is a constant stream of posters "looking for " a Power forward and with the money we have available that's not possible. So if it's a real proposition we need to make a move to clear space. AV has never put Ballard up as a choice player let alone a top 4-6 so he seems to be the player in the barrel. I expected Parent to challenge for a spot and I expected Tanev to play ( RH "D" Bieska+Salo+Tanev ) The there's Rome + Alberts and Connauton and Sauve who I hope are going to be making a push. Seems to me we have more depth at the back end. And frankly for what Ballard bring's $4.2 Million is a lot of money tied up. I think what Edmonton did with Cogliano was a heads up move by Tambellini and maybe MG could take a page from his book. But if it doesn't come to pass no big deal I hope he come to camp healthy, fit, in shape and ready to claim a top 4 spot.

Parent, MG went to length to insure he was not made available on waivers last season, so I'm assuming he's done that for a reason
cheers
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Fred wrote:Well seems to me there is a constant stream of posters "looking for " a Power forward and with the money we have available that's not possible. So if it's a real proposition we need to make a move to clear space. AV has never put Ballard up as a choice player let alone a top 4-6 so he seems to be the player in the barrel. I expected Parent to challenge for a spot and I expected Tanev to play ( RH "D" Bieska+Salo+Tanev ) The there's Rome + Alberts and Connauton and Sauve who I hope are going to be making a push. Seems to me we have more depth at the back end. And frankly for what Ballard bring's $4.2 Million is a lot of money tied up. I think what Edmonton did with Cogliano was a heads up move by Tambellini and maybe MG could take a page from his book
Well, if Ballard is part of a package to get a top six power forward, it would make sense. However, by clearing the cap space does not guarantee that some other teams will give the Canucks a top six power forward for free... The Canucks might end up losing Ballard for nothing but just cap space...
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Jovocop wrote:
Fred wrote:Well seems to me there is a constant stream of posters "looking for " a Power forward and with the money we have available that's not possible. So if it's a real proposition we need to make a move to clear space. AV has never put Ballard up as a choice player let alone a top 4-6 so he seems to be the player in the barrel. I expected Parent to challenge for a spot and I expected Tanev to play ( RH "D" Bieska+Salo+Tanev ) The there's Rome + Alberts and Connauton and Sauve who I hope are going to be making a push. Seems to me we have more depth at the back end. And frankly for what Ballard bring's $4.2 Million is a lot of money tied up. I think what Edmonton did with Cogliano was a heads up move by Tambellini and maybe MG could take a page from his book
Well, if Ballard is part of a package to get a top six power forward, it would make sense. However, by clearing the cap space does not guarantee that some other teams will give the Canucks a top six power forward for free... The Canucks might end up losing Ballard for nothing but just cap space...

Oh I'm sure MG has been in contacted with other GM's regarding the availability of certain player, I don't think he's in the vacation mode quite yet. He'll have a handle on who who's available and at what price and that will have as much influence on his decission.

Frankly I'm hoping Archibald is the dark horse . We may have a big winger ready to roll alreadt on the roster
cheers